Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BroodQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2012, 10:34 pm

Im currently looking for voice acting work, funny I cant talk to people face to face but I have a fairly versital voice I think...
Anyways im looking for advice if anyone knows how one may go about getting started.. im not a complete newbie..

Any gamers her? lol duh... if you have played the halflife 2 mod modular combat youve heard my voice acting.. playing glados's evil twin. after doing that gig I fell in love with the concept and it seems like all I want to do...

anyways kinda rambly but its there somewhere.. anyone know about this stuff? I feel its a great job for people like me I love acting but im to shy. and in voice acting retakes are easier lol.....

anyways thanks in advance for help....but now I must fill the forum with deadly neurotoxin gas that end.....

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

You're not a complete newbie, so what experience do you have?

As best as I can tell, unless someone has a REALLY, REALLY versatile voice, or a really unique individual voice, then the chances of making it as a voice actor are slim.

Most general voice acting roles are given to people with connections in the industry. We all have voices, if anybody could just become a voice actor, it'd be a lot more common job.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 3:07 am

I've thought about this myself for a while, my voice is somewhat versatile, but it is fairly unique (think along the lines of James Earl Jones or Christopher Lee). I'm probably going to record a demo within the next few months.

From the research I've done it's suggested that for your demo you record an approximately 2 minute sound clip of you doing 3 or so different voices you can do of about 30 seconds each, plus one for your regular voice. Make sure to include you speaking in your regular voice, apparently people are frequently hired for these rather than the other ones they provide.

After that, troll job sites (i.e. Craigslist) for calls for voice work, send out your sound clip whenever you see something posted, and hope for a call back.

BroodQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

yeah actually my first va gig that was just to be noticed, I got based on the fact I was the only actress who tried out that could manage a monotone lol.....

Im actually auditioning for a machinima atm that im optimistic about...
Not looking for pay at the moment but you start working enough for free people recognise your voice...

I mean every job steve blum does sounds like steve blum lol.. im lucky enough to have a unique voice without sounding wierd and being a half decent actress....

So hopefully I get this gig and atleast get started in the right direction...