Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

Have you ever had a problem with them? Even as a kid?

Since I can remember and even now I've had problems with them. They have to be this certain texture that I can't stand. They're so hard to eat for me. I really try. I had a terrible diet as a child and it's only slightly better these days. I've warmed to more foods, but I still have such an issue with vegetables and fruits. They're too chewy or sloppy. I find I need to ask my mum to make vegetables into a nice, thick, edible soup. I'd be a very healthy person if I could have fruits and veggies in soup/smoothie form.

What about you? Do you have issues with food textures?

oakenshield
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2012, 5:52 pm

yes, I remember puking on my plate because my stepmom forced me to eat boiled shrimp. When it burst in my mouth it was nauseating, no one believed me.

I can't stand celery or broccoli (unless cooked very soft where the texture changes), onions, bell peppers (really any veggie that is crispy or crunchy, except carrots) and I hate lettuce, though i gradually added more and more to my "salads" and learned to tolerate it, but still hate it on burgers, tacos etc. I recently started using baby spinach instead of lettuce for salads because it isn't crispy.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 5:56 pm

I'm fine with vegetables to be honest, or most anyway. I love green veg, cabbage, brocolli, lettuce, sprouts etc.

I hate carrots. The texture feels slimey.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

I can't stand them if they're soft or soggy or slimy or anything like that, at all. Can't tolerate cooked ones, either.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2012, 6:02 pm

Yeah. Know what you mean about the whole cooked/soggy thing. Why do people boil vegetables? It just makes them tasteless and wet and soggy as hell.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

I do like sweetcorn, because it's crunchy :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:11 pm

My tastes have changed a lot since I was a kid. I think my diet was a lot healthier when I was little because my mother always kept fruit and vegetables in the fridge for snacks and served them at meals. But now I don't eat nearly enough and I worry constantly about vitamin and mineral deficiency and stuff. I take vitamins every day but I don't think it's enough. Of course the FDA wants us to think taking vitamins does nothing or can even make us sick or fat, but it's perfectly taking all kinds of nasty drugs with that can actually kill you (even if you don't abuse or overdose on them). :x I'm very fussy and find it hard to enjoy anything that tastes sour or bitter. I couldn't tolerate bruised fruits, stringy celery, mealy mashed potatoes and chicken with skin that's rubbery instead of crispy and I still can't to this very day. I find lately it's harder and harder for me to even eat nutritious food I actually do like. Most of the foods I eat now are soft, bland, and full of carbs like pasta. Today all I had was some tea, a V8 strawberry-banana smoothie around lunchtime and a bowl of boiled cheese-and-potato filled perogies at supper. And a small handful of cereal while cooking the perogies because I was actually pretty hungry. I can barely stand the thought of eating like a rabbit. I know I'm doomed to die early because of my eating habits. Oh well, at least that's one thing that makes me like the rest of North America. :?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

I can't stand the taste or texture of peas!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

Tomato's can eat them cold on a sandwich but only a sadist would put them on a hot burger (they get warm) or even worse out of a can on a English breakfast (all that lovely Bacon ruined :cry: and just think of the poor mushrooms ) am fine with pizza or pasta sauces though. Onions the opposite raw can make me sick, but fine with them cooked (nan gave me a sandwich with them while I was sick). Olives and Lychees are just evil :evil: I love sprouts though, had to turn the State of PA over to find them for Xmas dinner when I was over there (Almost cried when I found them (feeling unusually home sick for the first time ever)).

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

I love mushy foods - canned peas, creamed corn, porrige, custard, pumpkin....so gooood :D

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

Frankie_J wrote:
Have you ever had a problem with them? Even as a kid?

Since I can remember and even now I've had problems with them. They have to be this certain texture that I can't stand. They're so hard to eat for me. I really try. I had a terrible diet as a child and it's only slightly better these days. I've warmed to more foods, but I still have such an issue with vegetables and fruits. They're too chewy or sloppy. I find I need to ask my mum to make vegetables into a nice, thick, edible soup. I'd be a very healthy person if I could have fruits and veggies in soup/smoothie form.

What about you? Do you have issues with food textures?

Yes. I still have issues with them. Like you, mostly vegetables and fruits.

I dislike mushy, slimy, and rough textures.

I blend fruits and vegetables into a smoothie to make them tasty.

Last edited by Twolf on 23 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 9:08 pm

Jetbuilder wrote:

Quote:
I can't stand the taste or texture of peas!

I don’t like peas, either.
Same goes for cauliflower which, to me, is visually gross on top of everything else.
Bananas use to gross me out but I got over it and can eat one every day as long as I don’t think about it too much.
It bothers some people to eat raw peaches because of that fuzz on them but it never has bothered me.

Last edited by Raptor on 23 Jul 2012, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2012, 9:10 pm

I hate the texture of oranges or pulp in OJ! 8O

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

I'm okay with food textures in general, but I can't stand mixing them. All my food needs to be a similar texture if I'm going to eat them together.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 8:58 am

I've never had problems eating my fruits and vegetables. Quite the contrary, I love fruits and vegetables. Except papaya. I was always asking my mom when we could have spinach. :lol:

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

I love fruits and veggies but I agree about the cooked slimy texture. When I was younger all I wanted to eat was fruits and veggies (especially raw ones). I can't handle cooked tomatoes and peppers though and fruit that has any kind of bruises on it.
...and Im not hungry anymore