Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 11:50 am

Why the public freaks out when an airplane crashes killing 200 some people, and people are afraid to ride in airplanes. These same people however don't bat an eye getting into an automobile and driving when over 35,000 people are killed in car crashes each year, and none of those crashes even barely gets mentioned in the news.

Why people have no problem spending $20 grand on an automobile that will use 15 grand in fuel over it's life (150,000 mile life, 20 MPG, $2.00 a gallon) but they have total heart failue with spending 10 grand on a solar energy system that will actually cost little to nothing to maintain, and will actually save them money in the long run.

Why a woman will wear a tiny, skimpy bathing suit to the beach or pool, but freaks out if someone sees them in their underwear that covers even more skin.

Any other weird things in this world that seem totally illogical to you?

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 1:09 pm

Why some people put Christmas decorations up in November.

Why some people have to own big jeeps, just to drive short distances around the city in. :roll:

CeallachSolomon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2006, 1:47 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Why some people put Christmas decorations up in November.

Why some people take said decorations down in August.

How men kill each other every day, but refuse to reinstate cannibalism.

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2006, 2:03 pm

Why people think horse slaughtering is a crime, but it's OK to eat slaughtered cows, pigs, and chickens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 2:46 pm

Why modern technology works against me, unless it comes in the form of any type of computer, or it happens to be made by Sony, or Nintendo.

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:08 pm

Why women say the like nice guys but get in relationships with bad guys only to be dumped

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:16 pm

Like people who say they are vegetarians because they think eating meat is disgusting and it comes from an animal, even though they eat fish and cheese and drink which come from animals?

It's how most NTs work.

It's there way of thinking.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:44 pm

yeah, and if fish could scream, I'm sure they would when they get caught. Plus, the most developed fish, such as sharks, are a lot smarter than chickens.

why people feel the need to say "bless you" when you sneeze. And they feel like its rude not to. asking someone if they are alright when they start coughing makes sense, but saying bless you, or gesunheit when they sneeze makes no sense.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:44 pm

This way of thinking is not exclusive to 'NTs'.

I also think eating meat is disgusting but enjoy eating some forms of seafood & cheese.
But then again, i dont say that i am a vegetarian.

What i don't get is why people need labels and why they need to label others: for example, 'vegetarian', 'NT', etc.

EDIT: I don't eat shark ( are they a fish?)

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 4:08 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
why people feel the need to say "bless you" when you sneeze. And they feel like its rude not to. asking someone if they are alright when they start coughing makes sense, but saying bless you, or gesunheit when they sneeze makes no sense.

Originally it was "God bless you", since the notion was that when one opened one's mouth to sneeze, evil spirits might well seize the opportunity to jump down one's throat. Saying that meant that one was thus protected from the potential evil-spirit-hijacking.

So there you have it :)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 4:11 pm

Well, I can say that the only thing I don't like about airplanes is turbulence.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 6:53 pm

Why people totally freak out about something like Anthrax, but then don't wash thgeir hands when they use a public restroom...

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwww ! !! !! !! !!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 7:06 pm

why people with pockets wear their cell phones on their belts like they're some sheriff.

why people continue to buy hummers despite all the problems in the world

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 7:10 pm

Why people EVER bought Hummers (the vehicle, that is) at ALL ! !! I have to dodge them in traffic every day, bloody fools won't check their mirrors when changing lanes, GGGRRRRRRRRR ! !! !

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 8:13 pm

[/quote]Originally it was "God bless you", since the notion was that when one opened one's mouth to sneeze, evil spirits might well seize the opportunity to jump down one's throat. Saying that meant that one was thus protected from the potential evil-spirit-hijacking.

So there you have it :)[/quote]

Interesting---I knew it had some mystical origin of some sort. But I do think our obsession with saying it is pretty silly. It should have died out a long time ago.

How about SUV commercials---they always show the vehicle driving through the mountains and mud.....yet the buyers of who intend their vehicles for such purpose probably constitute less than 1% of the market. At the same time, it makes perfect sense for advertisers, because they know consumers are not logical.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 8:19 pm

MrSinister wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:

Originally it was "God bless you", since the notion was that when one opened one's mouth to sneeze, evil spirits might well seize the opportunity to jump down one's throat. Saying that meant that one was thus protected from the potential evil-spirit-hijacking.

So there you have it :)

and that's why i don't say "bless you" when someone sneezes.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you