Am i the only one with NO empathy for the Cinema Massacre?

Page 1 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

goodiesguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2012, 6:40 am

You know what happened with that dude shooting people in the cinema during Batman.

I've got Aspergers and I honestly don't care and feel no saddness towards any of it. I'm not a horrible person though. I have no feeling and really don't give a f**k unless it happends to me or is something to do with my disability. I don't know why, but it seems it's like this with everything. I want to feel bad, but I just don't.

And yet, I laughed my ass off when I saw this in my facebook not 5 minutes ago:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:55 am

[makes mental note to self regarding safety]

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:08 am

To be honest that art isn't very funny regardless if it's socially appropriate so I have to ask, are you laughing at the art or the misfortune.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:09 am

OK so you don't feel anything, perhaps you can't help that. But crowing about it and posting unfunny things on the internet is something you can help it. It's unnecessary and in poor taste, in my opinion. I'll admit I'm not the most empathic person in the world, but I felt sad for the people who died and all their friends and families - don't you feel anything for anyone, not your parents, siblings, a friend? If you have a therapist I think you should discuss this with them.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:14 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
OK so you don't feel anything, perhaps you can't help that. But crowing about it and posting unfunny things on the internet is something you can help it. It's unnecessary and in poor taste, in my opinion. I'll admit I'm not the most empathic person in the world, but I felt sad for the people who died and all their friends and families - don't you feel anything for anyone, not your parents, siblings, a friend? If you have a therapist I think you should discuss this with them.

There also is no such thing as "the most empathic person in the world".

Unless it's some narcissist trying to fill in that role for status reasons.

Sorry to be so bitter, but that's just the way it is.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:16 am

I think you're getting empathy and altruism confused. I know some very empathetic people that wish they could turn it down a notch.

goodiesguy

25 Jul 2012, 7:28 am

I didn't post the picture to make people laugh. I posted it as I found it funny, and yet society tells me I shouldn't and should feel sorry for the people.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:33 am

I think it's perfectly normal to stop reacting to news, or atleast don't react as strongly as anyone would 30-40 years ago. These days we are overexposed to them, and if we would react emotionally every time we read a tragic news story, we would walk around emotionally drained all the time. I have heard about the shooting, but I have not read any details about it at all, and I will not seek out information about it.

I do understand that in the same country as the shooting happened, it is unavoidable to learn something about it, but living in Norway, I'm not getting those news thrown in my face every day. The Breivik thing in Norway on the other hand, was unavoidable for me, and I could not remain indifferent to that case. So it depends on where you live and how much media coverage there is on the tv channels and newspapers you read.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 7:33 am

If you dont feel bad for a the man that lost his six year old daughter and possibly his wife too then there is something (more than aspergers) wrong with you.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:34 am

What I mean is that if you felt any shame or worry about not feeling any empathy then you wouldn't have posted the picture.

Uprising - Yes, that was a sloppy turn of phrase. I don't really believe that there is someone in the world who is more empathetic than anyone else. I just meant that compared to others I know I struggle with empathy to a greater extent. I feel sympathy, but I find it hard to imagine exactly how other people feel.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2012, 7:39 am

I find that as I age I have more life experience, which means more loss and more personal tragedy. This helps me to be better at identifying with the feelings of others.
Apart from losing the odd family member or pet, it's possible you haven't ever seen anything die that you valued or identified with, and so death is a far and unfamiliar concept that is completely abstract to you.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:47 am

kraven wrote:
I find that as I age I have more life experience, which means more loss and more personal tragedy. This helps me to be better at identifying with the feelings of others.
Apart from losing the odd family member or pet, it's possible you haven't ever seen anything die that you valued or identified with, and so death is a far and unfamiliar concept that is completely abstract to you.

I'll agree with that for sure. Until I had some major losses I really couldn't relate.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:03 am

roccoslife wrote:
If you dont feel bad for a the man that lost his six year old daughter and possibly his wife too then there is something (more than aspergers) wrong with you.

I don't feel anything for that. Why would I? I don't know them. I'd feel bad if it happened to someone I cared about.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2012, 8:07 am

I haven't seen or heared anything about this massacre except through WP, but I am confused as to why small children were involved if it was a PG13 movie?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jul 2012, 8:09 am

There's nothing about being autistic that means a lack of compassion.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2012, 8:12 am

bnky wrote:
I haven't seen or heared anything about this massacre except through WP, but I am confused as to why small children were involved if it was a PG13 movie?

Please ignore. Looked up what PG13 really means :oops: