Has anyone ever thrown up after working out?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:53 am

DeathbyMonkeys wrote:
I CANNOT run fast for too long or I will throw up.

If its early in the morning and I haven't had a gatorade and I have to run a lot, I throw up.

I take medication (I don't want to! They make me) which make me nausea (can't spell the right term).

Are you drinking too much water during runs workouts?
I would throw up water every day in Track/ running club until my eight grade science teacher (also was helping coach track (long distance)) cared to inform me that it was because I was drinking too much water.

I know right? Thats not something they tell you in health!

Some people use throwing up as a coping mechanism (not on purpose of course). My dad threw up a lot as a kid too, so I guess I get it from him.

Drink gatorade or something of the like! Hope that helps.

That was one thing that was taught to me during track, is if you drink too much water during a workout you are prone to throwing up. I can still recall one of our coaches' voices yelling "TAKE. BABY. SIPS! I don't want to have to clean this up later!"

To be honest, there have been times I've gotten nauseated while working out, but, only if I over-exert myself, the best example being that one day a billion years ago in track where they decided to make us go back and forth up and down a really really steep hill with people on our backs. That day, I think MOST of our team (myself included) threw up.

deltafunction wrote:
Hmm maybe Gatorade would help.

It hasn't happened since, but it happened after I cycled home on a hot afternoon. I didn't drink anything.

I think you may have been dehydrated in that case though.

The way that I have been taught though, is if you are doing something for long (like cycling, or running), that you don't do water, or straight gatorade both. You either alternate, or you mix them 50-50.
Kjas wrote:
I have thrown up multiple times after workouts - it turns out I had a problem with protein shakes and milk - putting the two together was just asking for trouble. :lol:

Even protein powder by itself makes me feel sick, and sometimes I used to throw up just from that alone. *shrug*

Probably not helpful to you, I expect.

By protein powder, I'm asking, are you referring to whey protein? Because that upsets my stomach in too large of quantities due to its acidity. And it could be that you were "doubling up" with the whey protein without realizing it, since you not only had it in a shake but it's a component of milk as well.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

Gravechylde wrote:
I've had times where I couldn't walk the next day, but I've never thrown up around a workout. I haven't thrown up at all in 11-12 years.

Wow, really? I'm jealous. I throw up a lot, but it could be due to the fact I have essentially no lower oesophageal sphincter.

I used to train with a group of people, and if at any point we said we needed to chuck our coach would say "Fine! Go out, throw up, come back and finish your sets!"

Man, we were like masochists...

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/