Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm

Ya so the doctors aren't 100% sure but they are thinking I'm in the early stages of schizophrenia. The doctors I'm seeing don't think I have Asperger's. f**k my life. I'm still going to try and finish college and become a math teacher or something. Not going to let an illness f**k me over. So far I have no positive symptoms, just negative.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:57 pm

30% of people with schizophrenia do get healt, so that it's just an episode in their life for them.

So, espessially when it's just in the beginnings in your case, there is a good change that it'll stay mstly that way or even go away.

Even if not, they can probably treat it easily, because they have identified it very early. :D

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 1:33 am

Positive symptoms are not necessarily better or worse than negative symptoms; the main difference between the two is positive is extra characteristics not typically present in the average person pulled out of the population, and negative is characteristics that a person doesn't show but the average person typically shows.

Schizophrenia is not necessarily a death sentence- you still have lots of hope of a normal life! :)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
Ya so the doctors aren't 100% sure but they are thinking I'm in the early stages of schizophrenia. The doctors I'm seeing don't think I have Asperger's. f**k my life. I'm still going to try and finish college and become a math teacher or something. Not going to let an illness f**k me over. So far I have no positive symptoms, just negative.

Only from my personal experience, treating it early made my recovery faster and I'm pretty much symptoms free at 23. Once you get on the right meds, you'll do better in the long run having prevented a crisis. Just be careful to monitor how you feel and give the medication time before you call it quits on them. You may have milder symptoms and those treated will prevent them from worsening. Good luck with everything. Keep going to college, I'm in college.

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 10:32 pm

Having Schizophrenia is rough. Changing ambitions, lack of interest in everything, invasive thoughts that don't go away, disorganized thinking, poverty of speech, social isolation, inability to plan or make decisions, inability to socialize, people think you're lazy, always needing breaks.

My guess is if you are in a position where Doctors think you might have schizophrenia then your life probably isn't going well, you probably don't have a job, school is not going well for you, and you've stopped contacting your friends or don't have any.

Its hard to tell if you have it or not because you're too wrapped up in your thoughts or your ambitions.

I was in a similiar situation 1 year ago, doctors weren't quite sure I had schizophrenia. I thought it was Aspergers I wish I had aspergers. When I was diagnosed I panicked, I cried, then I forced myself to read books, to learn.

I stopped taking the medications they prescribed to me, I was OK for a while but then when my parents left to Brazil I went bat s**t insane. I Thought I was going to usher in a new age or something.

After that I was rediagnosed with Schizoaffective Bipolar Type 1 which is actually better than paranoid schizophrenia or the other types like disorganized or general schizophrenia.

Whatever you do don't take zyprexia, that medication is a piece of crap, also avoid foods with gluten, mostly pizza and pasta.

After being diagnosed with Schizoaffective Bipolar Type 1 I've gotten a job at walmart, and have been taking classes got an A in chemistry the highest grade in the class thank you very much. It's not all good though, I did try to kill myself a couple times and I do still think about it. I just don't ever want to be in the position of being too affected by this disease to be able to kill myself.

My best advice that I can think of is focus on other people what they want. Try to make other people happy. Those moments when you make your parents happy, make any friends or family happy are the only things that really matter. There's a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It's a fantastic read. Study it and it will make your life better regardless of whether you have Schizophrenia or not.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 8:20 pm

What is the difference between what you are talking about and those that hear voices/hallucinate?

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm

I have mood disorder as well, feelings of euphoric ultra awesomeness. Feelings of love to the extreme. I have periods where I don't need to sleep and feel great. Also times when I feel like the lowest piece of crud in the scum bucket.

Also my hallucinations aren't as bad as a schizophrenic, I don't hear voices for instance, I have thoughts and I rehearse conversations that I plan on having with people. (sometimes aloud).

Also my delusion was of a peculiar nature

For instance during my first real psychotic episode I imagined I was a piece on a giant board game. Between two gods One god was the relentless documenter, the other god was the prime number pattern. It was my mission in this game to spread an idea and to free the world so we could all love one another. But there were troublesome tribbles (lawers, judges, and politicians) who were in my way, they were trying to contain me (in the observation room a mental hospital). All I had were the immense powers of my imagination to convince people that I was fine and it was society that was wrong.

Also a requirement is that you have to have psychotic episode that lasts more than 2 weeks.

This probably seems more like Bipolar than Schizophrenia, but there was a bit of paranoia, (those troublesome tribbles conspiring against me.)

Schizoaffective requires a specific kind of crazy (I think) or maybe the doctors were like "What do we do with this crazy bastard?" Let's just throw darts at the DSM IV.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 12:06 am

wcoltd wrote:
This probably seems more like Bipolar than Schizophrenia, but there was a bit of paranoia, (those troublesome tribbles conspiring against me.)

I believe that it's very often just a question of definition.
I was once diagnosed with:
- Asperger's Syndrome
- ADHD with autistic like tendencies
- HFA

All 3 are different diagnoses, but at least they are not that far away from each other.
But every psychiatrist who diagnsed me different had a bit adifferent definition.
So maybe another psychiatrist will tell you, that you just have Bipolar, I don't know.

wcoltd wrote:
Schizoaffective requires a specific kind of crazy (I think) or maybe the doctors were like "What do we do with this crazy bastard?" Let's just throw darts at the DSM IV.

Well yeah, I just feel very often the same way. :lol:
:lmao: