Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

Autism the last time I checked is on the increase with more than 48 million people living with the condition worldwide.

If we know that someone with Aspergers has the potential to be a genius, then why don’t we pluck a few of them out and have them work out what autism is instead of the so called experts of today who don’t have the answers.

Don’t forget, the experts of today are the ancestors of yesterday who called Autistic servants idiots.

How exciting would that be? A team of geniuses who know what they are talking about because they actually live with the condition.

JuggaspieZ2k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2012, 10:16 am

Rudywalsh wrote:
Autism the last time I checked is on the increase with more than 48 million people living with the condition worldwide.

If we know that someone with Aspergers has the potential to be a genius, then why don’t we pluck a few of them out and have them work out what autism is instead of the so called experts of today who don’t have the answers.

Don’t forget, the experts of today are the ancestors of yesterday who called Autistic servants idiots.

How exciting would that be? A team of geniuses who know what they are talking about because they actually live with the condition.

That sounds like a great idea.

anomy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

I agree that "it takes one to know one." It would be great to have significant aspie input as I don't think that most NT's can fully relate and those who can are probably NT's that share some aspie traits or perhaps have someone very close to them who is an aspie.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

You know, now that I know what I know about Asperger's, if someone came up to me and said, "Hey man, choose - genius or social insect, I'd choose social insect. Life would've been more fun, less depressing. Then again, all I've known my entire life is Asperger's. I would probably still be depressed whether I had the genius of Einstein or the brains of a chicken.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 10:41 am

Rudywalsh wrote:

I can see how that would be good. But I worry that the subjective nature of a group of highly intelligent people with an autistic spectrum disorder defining what an autistic spectrum disorder is would be suspect. Plus, I think a big part in understanding the problems faced is how NTs view us.

So, perhaps a group made of equal parts intelligent NTs and people on the Spectrum would be useful.