Ever met/encountered anybody famous?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:46 am

Oh yeah I've got one.

When I used to be cycling home in a mornings after my night shift I reckon I saw Roy Cropper off Coronation Street jogging round Castlefield.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

blue_bean wrote:
Erm, Kevin Bloody Wilson (comedy musician)?

Was it at a bar? I'd like to hear details

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 6:16 pm

I got a ride to town (Aspen) from Clint Eastwood when I was eighteen. Entirely mute the whole trip, looked at his profile once, then looked away in embarrassment until I got out of his cool old pick-up.
That same year I also shook hands with Henry Kissinger; he is quite short. (i'm 5'10").

Vyacheslav
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

I briefly met Chris Berman at a Seattle hotel we were both staying at, he was there for baseball playoffs, I forget the year, early 2000's I think. One of the few years the mariners made playoffs.

He's not a celebrity, but I worked with a cousin of Kurt Cobain.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 12:30 am

TallyMan wrote:
Once at an open-air rock concert featuring lots of different bands, my mate gave me a nudge and said "Look who's in front of us". It was Brian May from Queen with a couple of very large men standing each side of him, presumably there to protect him / babysit him. He stood there for a while talking in a low, slurred voice. I think he must have been wasted on drugs at the time. Then they ambled off back stage again.

Maybe he was suffering from a migraine

I believe he could be on the spectrum; several years ago he completed his astrophysics doctorate. To build one's own guitar and play the snot out of it, kill a bunch of brain cells somewhere in France (among other parts of the world) AND become a Dr of astrophysicss could hardly be the doings of a Neurotypical

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 9:15 am

i know/have met people who are names in the queer community. also one folk musician. and i have come across people from the aboriginal community who are awesome and occupy a place in the history books. and many high ranking people in the labour party. i got to chase our national leader and the opposition leader in a protest. does that count as meeting? famous people and politicians also speak at rallies.
forgot to add that at supernova i saw batgirl(Y. Craig) and Doc from back to the future speak. not really meeting but it was still awesome.

Last edited by VMSmith on 28 Jul 2012, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

Lots of famous people, as I used to be a TV repairman in Beverly Hills and Hollywood. I have a stack of autographed pictures from my celebrity customers. The two who stand out as my favorite of all of my celebrity customers, are astronaut Buzz Aldrin, whom I met several times and visited with while working on his TV. The other one, although I did not personally get to meet him, was President Ronald Reagan. After he finished as president, he moved back to West LA and took an office in Century City, where I was called a few times to repair audio-video equipment at his consulting firm.

My customers included musicians such as Smokey Robinson, and Ringo Starr (The Beatles), and many TV stars from the early days of TV (retired by the time I knew them). And I can say openly and honestly, that I have been alone with Rod Stewart's wife Alana, in their bedroom :wink: And I can say that I sadly sat and listened to a very well-known hot actress of one of the James Bond films, tell me about her problems as she snorted cocaine in front of me. One of my favorite moments of Aspie humor, was when I went to the home of Conrad Bain (Mr. Drummond on Diff'rent Strokes), and when he opened the door, I acted surprised and said "I was expecting Mrs. Garrett to open the door". He laughed!

Charles

shadowboxer
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Star Trek
William Shatner
Leonard Nimoy
James Doohan
George Takei
Walter Koenig
Nichelle Nichols
Majel Barrett
Rosanna DeSoto
Spice Williams

Star Trek Voyager
Kate Mulgrew
Robert Picardo
Ethan Phillips
Jeri Ryan :heart:

Star Trek Deep Space Nine
Michael Dorn
Cirroc Lofton
J.G. Hertzler
Tony Todd
Robert O'Reilly
Chase Masterson :heart:
Nicole DeBoer :heart:
Mary K. Adams

Star Trek The Next Generation
Jonathan Frakes
Marina Sirtis :heart:
Denise Crosby
John DeLancie
Gwynnneth Walsh
Barbara Marsh

Battlestar Galactica
Tricia Helfer :heart:
Luciana Carro :heart:
Jennifer Halley :heart:
Anne Lockhart

This is just the short list. I've also met people from Star Wars, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, and I've been able to correspond with some of the people I've met.--I've been going to sci fi conventions for a really long tiime.

Some of the people i've met have since passed away :( Gene Roddenberry, Majel Barrett, Jeff Conaway, and David Carradine
To this day, I want to kick myself for not getting Gene Roddenberry's autograph whenI met him. I was about 15-he was healthy-who knew?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:05 pm

While working as drug store sales clerk I once sold a bottle of Pepto Bismal to Howard K. Smith.

The relired newsanchor and onetime ratings rival of Walter Kronkite did look rather palid (like he needed the stuff).

At the photo counter of the same store I once handed a bag of developed film to a lady who turned out to be a sister of Aretha Franklin ( the pics were of her and her sis and others hanging out at the whitehouse with the elder George Bush who was the then President). I learned later that Re-Re employed her sisters as backup singers on many of her hit records back in the day. So that lady whom I met- her voice is probably also on my Aretha CD's too.

Shook hands with Sugar Ray Leonard once. His large hand was as hard as a stone. It felt like the lethal weapon it was.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

Some famous children's poet who's name I've forgotten, I think he might be called Michael something. He visited my old junior school once and he was hilarious.

Some minor local ahtletes, once again junior school.

I once cued up with my friend in order for her to get some autographs from local football players, I wasn't interested though.

I saw various popstars at some concert I went to with guides a few years ago. Including some that are still popular now. I didn't meet them in person but saw them on stage.

I saw the Chuckle Brothers on panto many christmases ago. Didn't meet them in person either.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm

I work in a fine dining restaurant so i've encountered quite a few.

Christian Slater
Robert De Niro
John Cusack
Rachel McAdams
Bobby Flay
Nicolas Cage(several occasions)
Zac Efron(several occasions)

That's all that pops in to my head for now. I know i've missed quite a few celebrities while i've been there. I'm sad i missed Ed Helms, Morgan Freeman, and Tom Hanks but c'est la vie.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

If anyone in the UK has seen the game show Eggheads, I've seen CJ de Mooi at a chess tournament; he was there to present prizes (and is president of the English Chess Federation). I've also seen GM Luke McShane and IM Jovanka Houska (and probably others) at last year's London Chess Classic. They're well known English players, anyway. I also saw my MP on the Tube fairly recently.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

shadowboxer wrote:
Star Trek
William Shatner

I forgot to mention him... He keeps his horses next door to our place, and is there a lot. He's active in the local equestrian community, and seems to be a nice guy!

Charles

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:42 pm

Once some friends and I were surfing a point break in a place called Cavett's cove. It was a private beach and we had to sort of sneak in, but we never left a mess and no one bothered us. In fact up to that day we had never seen anyone there but a few other surfers.

We were all out in the water, when we saw a man making his way down the cliff trail to the beach with a huge black poodle. It was really big like approaching Great Dane size. But when he got down, we saw him literly rifling through all our stuff and knapsacks and trying things on! So two guys went in to sort him out. But to our surprize when they got in they were soon all standing around talking like old friends.

Curious, the rest of us went in and found it was a guy named Dick Cavett who was at the time a NY TV comedian / commentator on TV and such and the owner of the cove of course. It was pretty funny cause he was standing there wearing Sean's Sunglasses and it was like he just picked the stuff he liked, maybe to keep, and Sean didn't say anything. :lol: But it being one of the best breaks we were all anxious to keep up good realtions I guess.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm

I once had a fairly long, drunken conversation with Lewis Grizzard (Southern writer) on a train, I dated a guy whose band played the first Lollapalooza, when I wrote for a local paper in Bham I interviewed Ellen Degeneres and also Ted Nugent. I live up the street from Hank Junior's taxidermist.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

whovian_vinnie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2012, 3:35 pm

Yep. Quite a few, even, however most of them domestic musicians, so unknown to foreigners. Did meet and shake hands with Bill Clinton while he was president, though.