Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Probably C#, which is incidentally also the most commonly used one. Relative to C++, there are things I think are ridiculous about C#, but it's better than VB.

As C# and VB both compile using the same common runtime I see little to chose between them. Even the function calls are to the same code, the only difference is the syntax in how they are called C# vs VB. I've developed software in around 20 languages over the last 30 years. I currently use VB because it is convenient and fast to create applications. If the code is well written and appropriately commented / documented maintenance is a non-issue.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

I started programming with classic VB when I was about 11 (this was the age of Windows 3.1, long before .NET came along). With VB.NET, VB was brought up to par with other languages in functionality, and I continued to use it for many years. More recently, I switched to using C# exclusively because it was what everyone else in the office used, and have not gone back. The only downside is when I go back to work on my old VB code - I have to fight the urge to insert curly braces and end every statement with a semicolon;

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 6:26 pm

You should check out LightSwitch it's a fun new application development environment from Microsoft. It's about as straightforward to use as Access. More info and a trial here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/lightswitch

Jason

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:59 am

TallyMan wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Probably C#, which is incidentally also the most commonly used one. Relative to C++, there are things I think are ridiculous about C#, but it's better than VB.

As C# and VB both compile using the same common runtime I see little to chose between them. Even the function calls are to the same code, the only difference is the syntax in how they are called C# vs VB. I've developed software in around 20 languages over the last 30 years. I currently use VB because it is convenient and fast to create applications. If the code is well written and appropriately commented / documented maintenance is a non-issue.

I think I agree, C# and VB are so similar they may as well be the same.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:21 am

Fair enough - I'm much more comfortable with the C# syntax but I don't really disagree with you either