Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2012, 12:47 pm

I don't know if this is AS-related but I wonder if anybody else does experience something similar and whether anybody knows what causes this kind of thing.
Sometimes when I look at the floor, especially asphalt or basically, any grey-looking floor (e.g. also road stones) it looks as if it is moving in slow fluid-like motions. Think of lava streams. But it doesn't feel like if it is moving, it just looks as if it is moving.
I think, it only happens when I'm standing or sitting, or moving slowly (and only with grey floor).
I thought it might be related to a disturbance of the ear canal but I don't feel anything moving, it's just what I see,.... It doesn't disturb me at all but I always wondered about it (I was 18 years old when I experienced it the first time).

So does anybody experience something like this? Or maybe even exactly this?
Does anybody know what causes this? Or does anybody have a guess or an idea why that happens?

snarkysparkly
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

I have something like this I think. I have no idea if it's an Aspie thing or if many people experience it from time to time. When I look at a plain white or light-colored wall, it's like I see that it is made of super-small particles that are densely packed but all bouncing around each other. I can see these bright "particles" as filling the air between me and the wall also. I've heard that following the laws of quantum physics, it is conceivably possible that one could walk through a solid wall if everything lined up properly at just the right moment. Since I heard that I've thought, "Maybe I'm actually seeing the non-solid nature of matter!" I don't really think that but it's a fun idea.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2012, 3:45 pm

I thought about quantum physics, too but if we take quantum physics out of the picture....? As you say, it's a funny idea...but it's probably something physiological?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

Hmm. Sensory processing issue? Autistics do have this, some more, some less, and with different senses.

I may have a mild issue with seeing. When I look at a square shape (e.g. a window-frame, a monitor), I often see the vertical outlines leaning left and right at a frequency much less than a second. I noticed it first in elementary school, I used to look at the blackboard that had grids or lines painted on it, and I just "spaced out". At a point the lines started to disappear. I noticed I sometimes have the same issue with railways, too (they sometimes just seem to disappear).

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2012, 4:47 pm

OJani wrote:
Hmm. Sensory processing issue? Autistics do have this, some more, some less, and with different senses.

I may have a mild issue with seeing. When I look at a square shape (e.g. a window-frame, a monitor), I often see the vertical outlines leaning left and right at a frequency much less than a second. I noticed it first in elementary school, I used to look at the blackboard that had grids or lines painted on it, and I just "spaced out". At a point the lines started to disappear. I noticed I sometimes have the same issue with railways, too (they sometimes just seem to disappear).

That sounds kind of like my experience but with different objects.
Sounds logical to me.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

snarkysparkly wrote:
I have something like this I think. I have no idea if it's an Aspie thing or if many people experience it from time to time. When I look at a plain white or light-colored wall, it's like I see that it is made of super-small particles that are densely packed but all bouncing around each other. I can see these bright "particles" as filling the air between me and the wall also. I've heard that following the laws of quantum physics, it is conceivably possible that one could walk through a solid wall if everything lined up properly at just the right moment. Since I heard that I've thought, "Maybe I'm actually seeing the non-solid nature of matter!" I don't really think that but it's a fun idea.

I also see this bouncing particle stuff.

As to the OP, I don't really see the floor moving, but it often looks like my screen is moving, or paper when I'm looking at a newspaper or something, looks all swirly and stuff, and I don't like it. Makes me feel really sick and giddy.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 12:57 am

This sort of thing happens to me, and I enjoy it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 1:06 am

Well yeah that does happen to me...but I think its my own doing because I didn't notice it till after I started using psychedelics...I was tripping a lot for a period of a few months a couple years ago and have a few times since then so its possible that could be part of it. Also I typically don't get enough sleep and have gone days without sleep more than once.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 2:04 am

snarkysparkly wrote:

That is called "visual snow" - google it for more info. What it is exactly is not really agreed upon, the theory that makes the most sense to me based on what I have read is that it occurs due to something to do with how things are seen but some people filter it out better than others. If a person concentrates on it and lets it bother them it generally is more problematic.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 4:42 am

Cogs wrote:
snarkysparkly wrote:

That is called "visual snow" - google it for more info. What it is exactly is not really agreed upon, the theory that makes the most sense to me based on what I have read is that it occurs due to something to do with how things are seen but some people filter it out better than others. If a person concentrates on it and lets it bother them it generally is more problematic.

I Googled visual snow, and this isn't exactly what it is.
It looks like little air bubbles floating around, about 1/4 the size of a pea.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 5:34 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well yeah that does happen to me...but I think its my own doing because I didn't notice it till after I started using psychedelics...I was tripping a lot for a period of a few months a couple years ago and have a few times since then so its possible that could be part of it. Also I typically don't get enough sleep and have gone days without sleep more than once.

I don't use psychedelics (or anything similar) and I sleep well.....but there are stressors for such visual perceptions at times. I don't know which causes mine though.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:43 am

Does not seem to be an aspie thing, but I do it sometimes. Lots of pictures of visual snow can be found here http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e2 ... ex_en.html

When I was small I used to look at the tiles at the bathroom floor or wall and watch how the lines floated towards me. I think it is quite normal, but the facination with the phenomenon might be an aspie thing. I used to love sitting on the toilet just to watch the floating tiles/lines, I have no idea how much time I spend in the bathroom :D Still do it sometimes, just for the nice feeling of it.

Helle

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:44 am

This only happens to me when driving and I have to stop at a light/stop sign or if I'm in certain buildings (the modern style architecture involving exposed levels, where you can see through the (what should be a) floor into the next/previous level and all the rooms therein), in which case, it seems as if I'm falling through and the floor of the ground level appears to be slightly moving. This is one of the major reasons I chose the university I did to study at-it was the only one in the region that still had old-fashioned architecture.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:52 am

MightyMorphin wrote:
Cogs wrote:
snarkysparkly wrote:

I Googled visual snow, and this isn't exactly what it is.
It looks like little air bubbles floating around, about 1/4 the size of a pea.

I think the quantum physics idea makes it fascinating. If only particles were as large as 1/4 the size of a pea... :P

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

I experienced this and was worried it was part of my psychosis. Thankfully I can see it's most probably not.

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Patterned floors can appear to be moving sometimes and it gives me a headache.. and I'm glad there a term for the seeing what looks like tiny particles.. It's not something I've mentioned out of fear of seeming crazy but other people experience this too.. good