How do I keep conversation topics going with peopl

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mate1989
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

I have always had trouble with keeping conversations going, and It feels like i run out of things to talk about which gives me some anxiety. Do any of you have any tips on conversation topics with people especially women I am interested in? Also what are some other ways you can tell a woman is interested in you? Thank you so much for your time with reading this post.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 1:25 pm

I suck at that too. I try to ask people questions about themselves but I'm not very good at it. What's weird is that I'll often wonder about something that would be really logical to ask, but for some reason I don't think to actually pose the question, so I just stand there, wondering, while they stare at me or the conversation moves on without me. I've been trying to watch out for those "wondering" moments so that I can seize them, think about whether the question might be appropriate, and then if I decide it's okay, I'll ask it. It's a conscious process and it takes a long time so there are big pauses in the conversation but it's better than standing there saying nothing while they decide I'm either weird or aloof/snobby and wander off.

You can tell a woman might be interested if she looks you in the eyes a lot and touches you unnecessarily while smiling, like putting her hand on yours or patting your arm.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 1:32 pm

I wish I knew, there's always gaps in conversation with me. ><

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

I can relate about asking questions. The really obvious things to ask that lead in naturally from what the person is talking about don't seem to occur to me until after the event, sometimes hours later when I'm at home and I'm analysing the conversation, other times when the conversation has changed topic and I can't go back. When things go quiet and I have to ask a question I sometimes flinch, wondering how the question will be taken, hoping it is appropriate, as in the past I have asked some really obscure random stuff, not offensive or anything, but just wierd questions or something that doesn't even make logical sense to the person in that scenario and I get bad reactions.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2012, 1:41 pm

This... This is not a question to be asking US of all people :?

I think almost all of us on this forum have the same problem. I get anxious too, and sometimes I say "guess what" and then have nothing to say because I feel like I'm running out of things to talk about. I just end up leaving people hanging... a lot...

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 1:44 pm

chiastic_slide wrote:
I can relate about asking questions. The really obvious things to ask that lead in naturally from what the person is talking about don't seem to occur to me until after the event, sometimes hours later when I'm at home and I'm analysing the conversation, other times when the conversation has changed topic and I can't go back. When things go quiet and I have to ask a question I sometimes flinch, wondering how the question will be taken, hoping it is appropriate, as in the past I have asked some really obscure random stuff, not offensive or anything, but just wierd questions or something that doesn't even make logical sense to the person in that scenario and I get bad reactions.

I do that too. Sometimes it's obvious even to me that the question is off-the-wall and doesn't belong in the flow of conversation but it's all I've got so I try to play it off as me just being sort of hyperactive or caffeinated and cheerful. I think people don't appreciate the change in topic, especially if they really wanted to talk about whatever it was, but maybe it's better than being silent. And if I do it in a really cheerful way people smile and it's not that bad. It makes me look really immature but there's nothing I can do about that.