Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 9:01 am

This shrink told me once "i know people who's lives are in ruins becasue of OCD"

In a bit more depth what does she mean by that?

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

She means that the OCD in their lives has become so controlling and so overpowering, they've lost friends, jobs etc. because of it. Or, they're just an emotional mess.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 10:23 am

how do you overcome ocd?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Jamesy wrote:
how do you overcome ocd?

most improtant: acceptance.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

Jamesy wrote:
how do you overcome ocd?

With the help of a professional.

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

Is OCD a chemical disorder like schizophrenia? Or is it a psychological trauma associated illness such as DID. I took an online test saying I had likely OCD and may want to seek help about it. I think this is because I filled in that I am afraid of driving on the test as one of my obsessions. I do think too much about things, but I do it on purpose becaues I like being fascinated and know it's not harming me. sometimes I Just like to think a lot. I don't see it as a problem so far.

Fixating on ideas seems normal, as long as you know when to focus on something else...

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 4:14 pm

Kalinda wrote:
Is OCD a chemical disorder like schizophrenia? Or is it a psychological trauma associated illness such as DID.

So far I know it's more a chemical disorder, but also traumapatients can develop some OCD-symptoms.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Aug 2012, 12:36 am

Jamesy wrote:
how do you overcome ocd?

Mine seems to have been highly integrated into into most all my life & I don't think it's possible for me not to have some of it; it's kind of part of who I am like my Aspergers is. One way I deal with it is by trying to analyze what my OCD is related to. Some things are caused by problems/issues I faced a lot or things I think could likely happen. When it's something like that I try to come up with a way to address it. I'm also taking Neurontin & that's helping. There's probably more things I could mention but I cant think of them rite now; maybe I will latter.

Raziel wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
Is OCD a chemical disorder like schizophrenia? Or is it a psychological trauma associated illness such as DID.

So far I know it's more a chemical disorder, but also traumapatients can develop some OCD-symptoms.

I think it's some of both like psychological trauma could trigger something & the chemistry gets out of wack & addressing the trauma & other issues could help the brain sort things out. I know stress & things going on can cause some to get depressed which can develop into a chemical imbalance & fixing the problems the depression is related to can help. I think it could sometimes be a similar thing with OCD except it's more integrated with the person(like their personality long term) especially if they have Aspergers.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PennyDreadful
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2012, 3:56 am

Go to a psychiatrist and get a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (the chemical basis of OCD is similar to depression and other mood disorders -- in layman's terms, a shortage of serotonin in the appropriate areas of the brain, or an inefficiency in using/producing it). Zoloft helped me immensely. For some people that's enough, but if it's really severe, or if it is a direct result of some trauma or psychological event, there are therapy options as well. Exposure response prevention therapy has impressive clinical results, but it can be hard to find a therapist who does it.
I still have a lot of OCD issues, but they're more to do with numbers and symmetry and other Aspie things than washing my hands 75 times a day and crying because I couldn't get the kitchen chairs to line up right after I'd been straightening them for an hour.
And no, I'm not exaggerating; I kept track.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 3:58 am

Is quite true. ocd can be nasty. Personally the only thing that really helped me was therapy because I have to unlearn things and have many compulsive behaviours now, but that may be a struggle for the rest of my life as I have to keep fighting the thoughts etc. another resource I found insightful was a list of cognitive distortions, helps me sometimes spot when not thinking clearly and notice the negative thought or wtv.
I didn't ever count the total but think hand washing got up to about 35 5min washes for every single time hands were washed, with lots of counting and particular methods especially regarding the ending (risked starting again if I didn't get it right).. Took no less than 3 hours each time..