Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

OlivG
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

To what extent do you do it? Like "acting normal". I find it pretty exhausting in the long term, when I cannot "be myself" if you know what I mean.

What would be the best way to deal with Asperger's in this regard? Compromise behaviors a little but at the same time remain quirky and eccentric, instead of constantly forcing oneself to blend in?

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2012, 11:20 am

OlivG wrote:
To what extent do you do it? Like "acting normal". I find it pretty exhausting in the long term, when I cannot "be myself" if you know what I mean.

What would be the best way to deal with Asperger's in this regard? Compromise behaviors a little but at the same time remain quirky and eccentric, instead of constantly forcing oneself to blend in?

Finding other aspies worked for me. Be yourself

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

Yeah it's very tiresome. I'm always trying to "be normal" in front of others, but in the end I get exhausted, and it actually makes it worse, because I get aggravated and p*ssed off with people that I just wanna leave.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

I can't put on the act anymore-too tiring for me even though people tell me I should.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:06 pm

Can't do it for any length of time. I can keep it up about as long as I can hold my breath, and that's not for any lack of trying.

I don't know whether to be jealous of those aspies who can or pity them. My husband can and so he feels obligated to do so and ends up exhausting himself, but at least he can keep a job.

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

I find that people who are also considered "a bit weird" are the most accepting. If you don't compromise behaviors at all, then you wouldn't be considering others....so a little bit of compromise is necessary in order to keep friends. Things like, showing up when you say you will, on time, not insulting people and showing basic manners (like covering mouth when coughing, etc). Most people need basic courtesy, or else you will only attract unsavory, self-centered types. After a while, a bit of compromise becomes your "new self" and it is more natural.

However, the above only pertains to basic niceties and manners, not things like understanding social cues or an "NT" level of perception. Some compromise is necessary to attract desirable people, and the compromise only has to be in showing basic courtesy and consideration. As far as more subtle behaviors than this, you will exhaust yourself if you try to blend in completely. For example, I need a lot of space and can't "blend in" by spending the amount of time with people that they often require. If you need alone time, then give it to yourself.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:04 pm

I spent 34 years doing 24/7. 2 years ago I had a meltdown/shutdown. I don't do it at all anymore. The only one who pays the price for it is you. Ask yourself whether its worth it in the end.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

Although I seriously doubt I manage to carry off acting NT, I do try to mind my manners and stay within social conventions. For starters, I try to always greet my co-workers when I first encounter them for the day, and on Monday, I ask how their weekend was. If they return the question, I keep it to two or three sentences, remembering the key word is "how" not "what"

I also ask folk about their pets on a regular basis -- people who have pets are often eager to talk about them, and since critters count as a special interest for me, conversation comes easier for me.

I do find that I have to draw the line on socializing outside work -- I usually get by blaming it on my husband. Those I do socialize with outside of work seem to be either Aspies themselves, or have considerable Aspie tendencies.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

I act at work and out in public. When I get home I can be myself.

I just need to remember small things with my relationship. Eg. Offering a drink to my OH when I get myself one, making sure I keep up an appropriate affection level etc.

It's so tiring putting on the act during the week, I rarely go out anywhere on weekends.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

tjr1243 wrote:
I find that people who are also considered "a bit weird" are the most accepting. If you don't compromise behaviors at all, then you wouldn't be considering others....so a little bit of compromise is necessary in order to keep friends. Things like, showing up when you say you will, on time, not insulting people and showing basic manners (like covering mouth when coughing, etc). Most people need basic courtesy, or else you will only attract unsavory, self-centered types. After a while, a bit of compromise becomes your "new self" and it is more natural.

However, the above only pertains to basic niceties and manners, not things like understanding social cues or an "NT" level of perception. Some compromise is necessary to attract desirable people, and the compromise only has to be in showing basic courtesy and consideration. As far as more subtle behaviors than this, you will exhaust yourself if you try to blend in completely. For example, I need a lot of space and can't "blend in" by spending the amount of time with people that they often require. If you need alone time, then give it to yourself.

This. I have had to learn to edit and filter what I say in order to not insult people. I don't always pick up on subtleties, but I am kind enough that this quirk gets overlooked. The most important thing to learn is to not be obnoxious. It took me years to learn what that means and while I still let things slip that I shouldn't, it's usually forgiven because I am a generally nice person.