Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 5:30 am

Does anybody here have Delusional disorder?
Can you tell me something about it? How do you experience it?
Or what do you know about it?

I haven't seen any thread about it, so I thought I'll add it to the list of psychological conditions on this board.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2012, 5:40 am

7,156,672,226 human that are on earth have a delusional disorder :)

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

Scottinoz wrote:

What do you mean? Really?

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

Mayel wrote:
Scottinoz wrote:

What do you mean? Really?

If there was a new type of technology that could tap into someones mind and could hear their thoughts you'll be amazed at how delusional everyone is.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:45 am

It's basically a disorder where you have fairly normal delusions, but you don't have any mood disorder, no depression, no stress, etc.

In other words, there's nothing else going on in your life that would be a link to the delusions. For example, you couldn't have Schizophrenia and be diagnosed with Delusional Disorder.

People with Delusional Disorder usually leave fairly normal lives and are pretty high-functioning.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
In other words, there's nothing else going on in your life that would be a link to the delusions. For example, you couldn't have Schizophrenia and be diagnosed with Delusional Disorder.

Can you be diagnosed with a ASD and Delusional Disorder then? :?

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Raziel wrote:
MightyMorphin wrote:

Can you be diagnosed with a ASD and Delusional Disorder then? :?

Yes, you can. Look: link
ASD is not a condition that you can link to a delusion, that's why you can be diagnosed with both.
But if you have, say, schizophrenia, you can't have Delusional Disorder which doesn't mean that you can't have delusions with schizophrenia. Delusions can be part of many conditions that entail psychosis and be indicative of other conditions.
But Delusional Disorder is distinct from other psychotic conditions because its delusions don't affect anything else than the things that are connected to this delusion (which doesn't mean it can have negative effects on your daily life but it is still much more high functioning).

E.g. you believe that you have a serious illness but you're healthy. That's your delusion. It'll only affect you in that you'll be visiting a lot of doctors in hopes that they treat you and you'll probably tell everybody you know how you have a serious illness....In worse cases, you'll treat yourself which can be dangerous. But you probably don't have hallucinations, and you are high functioning, every other part of your life is untouched. You don't have unorganized speech or anything like that.

Still, something like ASD or a personality disorder (e.g. schizoid) can be diagnosed with DD since they don't have delusions as a symptom.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 6:57 pm

Scottinoz wrote:

grins*
true that :)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 6:59 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
It's basically a disorder where you have fairly normal delusions, but you don't have any mood disorder, no depression, no stress, etc.

People with Delusional Disorder usually leave fairly normal lives and are pretty high-functioning.

yeah, they even attend church.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2012, 6:25 am

I'm not talking about "delusions" in a metaphorical sense. I'm talking about Delusional Disorder.
That's when you e.g. shut all curtains, doors, cover your webcam..etc. because you think you're being spied on, it's when you hear people talking on TV and radio and think they are referencing or quoting you..., it's when you self-medicate with cancer medicine because you think you have a tumor although the doctors you attented didn't find anything, it's when you write and send a love letter to someone you've never ever spoken with because you're adamant they're in love with you and speak secret-code, it's when you plan to hurt someone because you think they've wronged you (although you already went to court and lost several times...)....etc.etc.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

I suffered from delusional disorder.

Infact i never realized it until it wrecked my life completely.

I started researching on my problem and realized that i suffer from erotomania
the delusion of love

Actually i was devoid of love as a child my parents were abusive and neglected me
so whenever a guy would talk nicely with me i felt that he loves me and my mind
was completely gripped with infatuation and started chasing them, calling them up,
being obsessed with them.

The delusion seems so real just like in the movie a beautiful mind where the character
keeps seeing people who died long ago.

You cannot brush it away it seems real, but you have to keep telling yourself that its a delusion
and not real and slowly you start gaining control over it.

But until you are unaware about your condition it causes wreckage.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2012, 4:49 pm

namaste wrote:
The delusion seems so real just like in the movie a beautiful mind where the character
keeps seeing people who died long ago.

You cannot brush it away it seems real, but you have to keep telling yourself that its a delusion
and not real and slowly you start gaining control over it.

But until you are unaware about your condition it causes wreckage.

That's absolutely true. I know exactly what you mean. Looking back at my delusional states I'm either ashamed or frightened or both.
And I do that, too....whenever I'm like thinking something weird I have to keep telling myself unless you don't have hard proof-evidence, it's a delusion, a lie and your mind is playing tricks on you.

I find it fascinating how strong perception can be altered by the content of our minds.