Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2012, 3:28 pm

As someone who absolutely loves music, I find myself almost always on youtube/grooveshark/8tracks throughout the day. I'm not much one for the newer stuff (e.g.- lady gaga, katy perry, taylor swift), instead I most often listen to songs with more meaning in their lyrics than something like 'I love someone but they don't know it, how can I ever be with them?', which brings me to my question:

For those of you who listen to music, do you just listen for the rhythmic qualities and notes, or do you try to find the metaphor contained within the song? An excellent example of this would be the Gorillaz, especially if you watch their music videos on youtube.

SecretAgent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way... there are a few exceptions, but generally I can't listen to a song unless the lyrics have relevant meaning to me personally. (Like so many people love songs about bad break-ups when they've never had one... and I just don't get that at all.) And it has to make sense. (Which is why I dislike rap and song with hidden meanings that outwardly seem like gibberish.) And of course, I also try to find songs that have a deep meaning. Stuff that is passionate and really moves me. SOME of the newer stuff is imo, but I'll admit it's hard to find.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

have to like everything about a song, the lyrics, the vocals, the guitar, the bass, the drums, the keyboards (if they use them.) Anything else, as long as not a major element in the song, is overlookable.

I wouldn't call that elitist as I still enjoy about 175 bands with a mixture of obscure and popular bands mixed in.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

People used to tell me I listen to the lyrics too much, so I've been beginning to rectify it.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

I mostly listen to music just for the melody. There are sometimes where it's only for the lyrics but I'm mainly a music person. A lot of that has to do with only being able to comprehend one thing at a time as well.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 11:02 pm

Lyrics are the least important part of a song, but generally songs that sound better tend to have more meaningful lyrics, in my opinion. Pop crap about crap sounds like crap.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

Ganondox, I think ylrics are a big aspect of the music. They give the ehavy parts and soft parts their power. You're a disturbed fan, look at Overburdened and compare it to Ten Thousand Fists. The vocals and lyrics have to fit the mood of the music. I take music seriously and listen to polka when I want stupid fun...or some R.E.M.'s SHiny Happy People haha.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 2:24 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
Ganondox, I think ylrics are a big aspect of the music. They give the ehavy parts and soft parts their power. You're a disturbed fan, look at Overburdened and compare it to Ten Thousand Fists. The vocals and lyrics have to fit the mood of the music. I take music seriously and listen to polka when I want stupid fun...or some R.E.M.'s SHiny Happy People haha.

As someone who's all for ironic, non literal delivery - uh, disagree. For example, over interpretation can be always making the reflective songs ballads, like bloody Coldplay.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 8:28 am

Coldplay's lyrics don't bother me Bun, it's more their sound than anything. Besides, the lyrics I enjoy are along the lines of Dark Tranquillity, Sevendust and Mushroomhead.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 8:58 am

i rarely listen to lyrics because i have less admiration for poetry than i do for musical creation.
almost everyone can come up with a rhyme, but very few can think of a chordal structure that inspires people to move their bodies in synchrony with it's execution.

words cannot notes express.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:20 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
Coldplay's lyrics don't bother me Bun, it's more their sound than anything. Besides.

It's the over-dramatic delivery for me, along with the musical formula I've mentioned.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 10:26 am

I agree with b9 to a degree...but as a lyricist/vocalist I think a strong vocal delivery and well written lyrics can add greatly.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:

Vocals are important, but lyrics less so. Yes, lyrics have an impact on the song, but they don't effect the sound.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html