What was he implying about my dad?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

my 16 year old brother was arguing with my dad the other night. in the argument my brother pushed my father a few times.

i asked why my brother pushed my dad and he said too me "sometimes he just needs too be pushed"

If there is some truth in what my bro says about my dad what is he implying about his personality when saying "he needs too be pushed sometimes"

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2012, 11:07 pm

To me it seems like he was saying, "Sometimes he is such a jerk that I feel like he should be punished for it in some way." The punishment would be pushing him.

Or maybe, "Sometimes he won't listen to me, so I need to physically bother him to get his attention." "He makes me so angry that I feel the need to react violently."

Your dad doesn't really "need" to be pushed. It's just how your brother feels like treating him at certain times.

It's hard for me to guess without knowing what the argument was about (but you don't have to share it, that would be personal information). I hope that one of these sounds applicable to your situation.

justizabell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2012, 11:43 pm

He may be saying your Dad is a pushover. Maybe he thinks by pushing him your Dad will find his backbone and say enough is enough. Does he want him to "Man up?" There could also be some control issues going on between them. Your brother may want the control and feels like pushing is the answer? Hmm...

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Jamesy wrote:
my 16 year old brother was arguing with my dad the other night. in the argument my brother pushed my father a few times.

i asked why my brother pushed my dad and he said too me "sometimes he just needs too be pushed"

If there is some truth in what my bro says about my dad what is he implying about his personality when saying "he needs too be pushed sometimes"

Do you mean to say that your brother physically pushed your father or he pushed him in the verbal, metaphorical sense? That would make a big difference to the possible meaning.

WalkingTheDog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

I think you are looking for deep meaning when there is no deep meaning to be found. Your brother pushed your father because he (your brother) was angry.