Books about long term relationships...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

Are there any were the Woman is on the spectrum?
I often find that I can't relate very well to most of the books on this subject that I have read, as its always the man who is on the spectrum, and about how he wants to be alone but the woman wants to be sentimental...
So far it seems like relationships where the woman is on the spectrum are not catered for. Are they almost non-existent?
:?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:15 am

I think "Aspergirls" by Rudy Simone is the *only* semi-comprehensive guide dedicated to women on the spectrum. The rest, as you say, concentrate only on the men. I think women are underdiagnosed and thus underserved in the clinical community. Sorry.

I also think that while some Aspie women are very "male" (behave like Aspie males are thought to behave), the rest of us are some amalgam of "female" and "male", so you can't really apply the male Aspie guides to Aspie women.

Good luck. I wish there were a guide I could hand out to prospective partners. I'm still trying to understand myself, in my 40's.

Casstranquility
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

The book "Pretending to be Normal" by Liane Holliday Willey has a chapter on the author's long term relationship with her husband (she's the Aspie).

"Women From Another Planet" by Jean Kearns Miller has a couple of articles about women on the spectrum in long term relationships. All of the essays in the book are from women on the autism spectrum and I found them highly informative.

If you like "Aspergirls" by Rudy Simone you could check out "22 Things a Woman With Asperger's Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know" by the same author. I haven't read it myself but the reviews are good.

Let us comfort each other, and move tenderly when we are able. Let us hold hands and walk bravely, or fearfully together; for as long as there is Love, there is Hope, that everything will be okay, including the things we say are not.

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2012, 7:05 am

I've looked a few of these up now, some of them look quite good!
Thanks!