Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Intrepid_Squirrel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2012, 12:10 am

Hi, my name is Ben and I'm looking for people (college students but anyone is welcome) bold enough to practice social skills with me. In the prime of my life, I feel I'm letting life's opportunities slip by due to my poor social skills-- and I want to do something about it!

It's a topic too embarrassing to ask people close to me, so I thought that maybe that a weekly chat session with random people would be a great way to socialize.

The format:
*2-4 people meet up in a video chat and just talk about whatever (i.e. films, hobbies)
*once a week (weekend?) 1-2 hours (or however long people can hang out)
*it would be nice if people can be consistent (obviously though, people have plans etc.)
*AS/NT/anyone welcome!
*webcam and/or microphone required

Personally, I'm trying to practice 1-on-1 conversations as that's where I struggle the most. But the group chat seems like a fun idea nonetheless (much less pressure); I'm going for a more of a "hanging out" environment. My goal is to help myself and others learn to develop social connections and maintain them. However, I'm hoping other people have ideas on how to make the sessions more fun and welcoming/accessible.

Message me if you are interested! I'm hoping I can get this started by this month. :D

SouthernCommon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2012, 9:26 am

I would be keen for this if anyone else wants to make it a group thing. I live in South Australia which is 18 hours behind California but I have a flexible schedule so can meet at weird times on my end.

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2012, 6:27 pm

Why not meet here: http://tinychat.com/

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm

Ben, I am interested and appreciated your proactive action in curing social difficulty. Can you count me in?

You are sort of neurotypical but shows signs of autism. You probably enjoy intellectual activities more than socializing or maybe you enjoy socializing, but you aren't genius at it. You could be autistic, but may not be.

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 11:46 pm

I am massively camera shy (and though I am a guy - I sound like a girl over camera...), but Aspie college-student interested here.

autismkid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Aug 2012, 6:03 am

SouthernCommon wrote:
I would be keen for this if anyone else wants to make it a group thing. I live in South Australia which is 18 hours behind California but I have a flexible schedule so can meet at weird times on my end.

I'm currently in south Australia but going back to Melbourne in a few days :)

Guitarguy86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2012, 3:50 pm

I'm in. I have a hard time keeping up with threads, and don't really want to follow any in order to keep email down a bit. So, with that being said, my skype ID is drpprd1

dc22
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm

I'm interested, really need to work on my social skills lol. Uni student fom the UK (GMT +1)