Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 4:22 am

Why do alot of people (including well educated people) seem to think that when one has Aspergers that us Aspies are ALL geniuses?
Why do some of them act surprised when they find out that I dont have a Genius IQ?
Also why do SOME Aspies(genius iqs, but have no job, nor are they in school/suck at socializing, need no help in school/homelife )(in REAL LIFE) like to make fun of the lower functioning Aspies(lower iq, somewhat better at socialization, have a job, are in school, but need help with those things/daily living skills)?

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 4:49 am

Keniichi wrote:
Why do alot of people (including well educated people) seem to think that when one has Aspergers that us Aspies are ALL geniuses?
Why do some of them act surprised when they find out that I dont have a Genius IQ?
Also why do SOME Aspies(genius iqs, but have no job, nor are they in school/suck at socializing, need no help in school/homelife )(in REAL LIFE) like to make fun of the lower functioning Aspies(lower iq, somewhat better at socialization, have a job, are in school, but need help with those things/daily living skills)?

1. Because people are ill informed.
2. Ditto above.
3. Because people with Aspergers can be asshats too.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 4:56 am

FalsettoTesla wrote:
Keniichi wrote:

2. Ditto above.

As for number 3 I honestly dont get that considering they say they're mature and smart and know what its like to be bullied/made fun of, yet they dont realize their making fun of/bullying others? (If they do realize this, is this their way of getting revenge on the world for how they were treated?)? Why, continue the cycle of bullying? Ssh... I honestly just dont get most people...

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 6:13 am

Keniichi wrote:
FalsettoTesla wrote:
Keniichi wrote:

2. Ditto above.

As for number 3 I honestly dont get that considering they say they're mature and smart and know what its like to be bullied/made fun of, yet they dont realize their making fun of/bullying others? (If they do realize this, is this their way of getting revenge on the world for how they were treated?)? Why, continue the cycle of bullying? Ssh... I honestly just dont get most people...

Well in this sense they're very normal. For example approximately 30% of abused children become abusers. Now surely those people should know that it's a horrible thing to go through, yet they still do it.

Plus they may say they're mature, and smart, but that doesn't mean they are. I can say that I'm the president of the United States of America, but it's not true, and there's astounding amounts of evidence to counter it.

Pointing out the flaws in other people makes them feel better about their own shortcomings. Also, asshats.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 9:27 am

Higher IQ does not mean that someone doesn't need help with self care/daily living skills. Higher IQ doesn't mean that people are "more capable" with day to day activities.

I know this isn't your point, and you are trying to ask about why people are treating people poorly, but you're falling into this fallacy that many others do too.

As for why they do - probably because of self esteem issues. It's wrong of them to. Not all high IQ people with Asperger's do that though.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

You have to remember 'higher IQ' as measured by current standards does NOT equate to genius. Savant Syndrome(and i believe ASDs in general) have shattered that theory.

---- let me make a few comments:

We live in a credentialed society. A credentialed society that has big gaping holes in it's ability to catch those who can propel society forward because so much depends on 1) availability of resources and 2) performance on standardized test.

Look at history. The most innovative period in American History from after reconstruction to mid twentieth century had very few people with college degrees.

Just look at Forbes list of billionaires where a disproportionate number are NOT college graduates. These people followed their entrepreneurial spirit(using their talent) and achieved success BUT everyone with talent want be an entrepreneur.

Human capital is lost in a system that(while great) is too inflexible in utilizing ways in which to tap into a wide variety of talent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question: The Media helps shape the image of a particular/culture/individual/group with the aid of both real circumstances and stereotypes.

So, society is being shown two images of Autism 1) the 'low functioning' Autistic Savant (almost magical in nature) (2) The 'high functioning' socially awkward (geek genius).

There is a third one THAT is emerging BUT the heat is too hot for media to pursue IT.

TheSunAlsoRises

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

Keniichi wrote:

Because insofar as Asperger's has made its way into the public eye at all, it has been depicted this way. Perhaps it also makes them feel kinder, because they're assuming Aspies have special gifts to help compensate for our disabilities.
Keniichi wrote:

See above.
Keniichi wrote:

Because it's all they have and they're jealous and resentful of someone who can be more successful with half the IQ. They may have had their hopes for success built up very high by parents and teachers, only to find that in the real world IQ does not take you very far. It can feel like a dirty trick, and it's understandable, although not ok, to take that out on those who have the opposite profile.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

Keniichi wrote:

IQ says nothing about one's emotional maturity. Geniuses feel the same emotions you do,, and the ability to logically analyze them does not necessarily give any greater ability to control them, nor does it mean they don't have just as much tendency as anyone else to react impulsively without reflecting on the reasons for their actions. Having a high IQ and Asperger's can be a curse for this reason: people assume you can do anything well, including the specific things that Asperger's makes more difficult.

It's funny that you refer to the second group of people as "lower functioning". Afaik, they would actually be considered the higher functioning ones. A genius IQ coupled with an inability to live independently does not equal "high functioning".

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

Keniichi wrote:
FalsettoTesla wrote:
Keniichi wrote:

2. Ditto above.

There are certain traits in Aspergers combined with other factors, such as; generation affliation, personality, I.Q, emotional maturity, cultural values, environment, etc THAT can profoundly shape the individual.

Have you ever heard the phrase: It comes with the territory. LoL.

I don't think the asshats behavior is motivated by revenge in most cases. I think it has to do with a different perception and different motivation then what is popularly accepted in society.

In other words, said person can be an as*h*le BUT for entirely different reasons THAN what is typically expected.

TheSunAlsoRises

Last edited by TheSunAlsoRises on 04 Aug 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2012, 1:05 pm

Nonperson I agree that it can feel like a curse.
I have the skills do any of the jobs I have had or want but thanks to the down side of AS
the working world has been a living hell for me. I am as good or better than my peers in performing most tasks
but I can only do it at 2/3 the speed or less the worst part being most employers don't care if you are as dumb
as a stump as long as you are fast.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:03 am

nolan1971 wrote:
I have the skills do any of the jobs I have had or want but thanks to the down side of AS
the working world has been a living hell for me. I am as good or better than my peers in performing most tasks
but I can only do it at 2/3 the speed or less the worst part being most employers don't care if you are as dumb

May I ask if you work with a detailed schedule? Like each thing on a schedule gives a step by step viewing on what your supposed to do?

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:10 am

Nonperson wrote:
Keniichi wrote:

IQ says nothing about one's emotional maturity. Geniuses feel the same emotions you do,, and the ability to logically analyze them does not necessarily give any greater ability to control them, nor does it mean they don't have just as much tendency as anyone else to react impulsively without reflecting on the reasons for their actions. Having a high IQ and Asperger's can be a curse for this reason: people assume you can do anything well, including the specific things that Asperger's makes more difficult.

It's funny that you refer to the second group of people as "lower functioning". Afaik, they would actually be considered the higher functioning ones. A genius IQ coupled with an inability to live independently does not equal "high functioning".

I dont know the higher functioing people a whole lot, but from what I know of them they dont need help dressing, bathing, eating, shopping etc, no help with college.... Whereas some of us lower functioing (yes Im lower functioing :) ) need help with bathing, dressing, eating, help with school etc...***(I personally need to be reminded to bathe, set out clothes, help with brushing teeth and hair/buttoning things, need help with shopping because I get lost and overstimulated, cant focus in school, need extra time to write things down, need to have more breaks in college, etc)....

Yes I know most people feel emotions, however it seeems to me the higher functioing geniuses are better with communication (even though they hate socializing), dont get anxious, sad or mad as much.... I know personally speaking some of us/ the lower functioing ones*** actually have conversations with people(we enjoy them), get overly emotional...

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2012, 6:57 am

'there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom' I wonder that applies here. For example the high IQ (knowledge) and the life skills/ experiences (wisdom) may not meet up.

I've been referred to as 'smart but stupid' so many times I've lost count

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Aug 2012, 7:04 am

Keniichi wrote:

I am a genius and autistic. I have no job, am not in school, suck at socializing, and need a lot of support in home life. I could function in school but only for a few months at a time before burning out. I don't to my knowledge make fun of any autistic people for being autistic.

I think often, people make fun of other people to feel superior, to make those other people feel bad or inferior, or both. Some may do it to draw attention away from their failings.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 8:30 am

Keniichi wrote:
nolan1971 wrote:

May I ask if you work with a detailed schedule? Like each thing on a schedule gives a step by step viewing on what your supposed to do?

I would like to know this too. I've been called a "walking encyclopedia" but it's hard for me to accomplish more than one simple task in a day. How do people like us manage to complete degrees and get good jobs??

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2012, 9:20 am

Keniichi wrote:
Why do alot of people (including well educated people) seem to think that when one has Aspergers that us Aspies are ALL geniuses? Why do some of them act surprised when they find out that I dont have a Genius IQ?
Because a;l they ever see are the really low functioning people with AS, or the really clever ones with AS. AS takes many forms, most people don't understand that. They are simply ignorant, but unless you have reason to want to know about autism/AS you probably wouldn't know. It's not their fault they're ignorant, but we can help educate them.

Keniichi wrote:

Probably because they're copying what others do or have done. They still have problems relating to people remember. When I was at school there was a girl in my class who was bullied even more than me. Maybe she had AS, I don't know, but if she did she was very low functioning. Though I'm very ashamed of it now, I could probably be considered a bully for some of the things I said to her. I never meant to hurt her, I simply copied everyone else because I didn't know how else to treat her.
On the other hand, maybe they're just plain nasty...