Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

I don't like the puzzle piece logo. I'm not a puzzle. Autism may be an intriguing scientific challenge, but so is every other disorder out there that hasn't been fully described. I don't have any pieces missing; I'm different, but I'm okay the way I am.

The primary challenge of autism is to find a way to teach and include children with autism so that they grow up to be happy, competent autistic adults. The puzzle piece logo just says too much about people having to fix us or put us together. I would much prefer something like the rainbow infinity symbol--it has the same sense of mystery about it, but infinity as a concept is complete and interesting to learn about, and very useful for mathematics. I'd want us to be known as unusual people who come in a spectrum of possibilities, perhaps a little mysterious but nothing that a person can't understand. The rainbow infinity symbol fulfills that purpose.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

I found them misleading. My impression was that autism was some mystery disease that we must donate money to Autism Speaks to understand it, and it must be really bad like cancer or something for it to have such a symbol and charity.

That was before I knew that I had Asperger's Syndrome, and then I got angry because I am not so hard to figure out, nor do I need a charity to research how I am, I will just tell you. If it is true that AS is on the Autism spectrum, then why do they make such excuses to research us instead of just asking us how we are, at least if the puzzle piece is supposed to represent a mystery or enigma that NTs need to solve, that is...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

I love it. I like the flashy colours and I'm fine with it being a symbol for autism awareness if it is understood to mean that autism isn't a simple one-dimensional disorder (one that consist of a single simple symptom measured on a one dimensional severity scale) that comes with an equally simple one-size-for-all solution that every know-it-all out there simply needs to follow in order to make us autistic people into normal people (teach us to/make us talk, teach us all social skills in a matter of months/in a lifetime and magically erase our sensory/executive/cognitive difficulties) but that it is a puzzling disorder that consists of many extremely obviously different-looking pieces to the great public out there. It could also be explained to symbolise that autistic people can be very different de to the complex nature of their disorder.

I suppose that another reason why I like the designs that consist of several puzzle pieces is because they consist of single parts/details (I think it's the autism that's responsible for me liking things that are made up of parts) that because of the bright colours and distinct forms of puzzle pieces should even for normal people be easily recognisable as details that together make up something bigger.

Sadly, all the ASD jewellery is hard to come by in Germany. That stupid custom duty office holds back all the packages from China or the US for ridiculous reasons and never fails to request that I go see them to get my packages myself.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm

Kinme wrote:
Is the whole "rainbow" of colors to show uniqueness, or something? I wish they'd just choose ONE color and stick to it.

Gold. Atomic symbol of Au as the first letters of autism and shows a ASDs as valuable.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:03 pm

I find it silly when people are mindlessly against the puzzle piece logo. I find that one terribly done. I like the necklace I have. It's in the shape of a single puzzle piece with the background being lots of puzzle pieces fitting together and a turtle in the foreground (because I got a turtle version of it :)) I think something like that people might be less against - because it might have a better feeling of "piece of the whole".

I don't take the puzzle piece logo to mean that I'm a puzzle to just be figured out or fixed. I don't know how to explain how I do take it though :(

The rainbow infinity symbol I don't want to make autism specific. I like that symbol, but I want that to be neurodiversity as a whole. To me the puzzle piece is our symbol, and the rainbow infinity symbol is everyone, and us all fitting in, and the entire idea of neurodiversity and that not being neurotypical isn't wrong. It feels wrong to me to make that autism, and to limit it to autism and exclude everyone who isn't NT and who isn't autistic. It feels better to all be unusual people, of all different sorts. It fits better to me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

I have a personal symbol:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

I hate the puzzle piece logo. It is ugly and I'm not puzzle.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2012, 1:22 pm

FalsettoTesla wrote:
Personally, I dislike it.

Saying something is a puzzle implies they're a 'solution'. So, like, we're a problem.

I don't see why we need a logo. I can see why individual charities would need an identifier, and I suppose it does encapsulate how Autism Speaks seems to view Autistic people. We're more common than cancer, guys!

/Rant off!

That aside, those colours are garish. it reminds me of a small child's bedroom.

well said. I completely agree with this post

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I find it silly when people are mindlessly against the puzzle piece logo.

I do not think anyone here 'mindlessly' declared dislike for it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:53 pm

Yeah, for the most part it's because we don't like the implications of being compared to puzzles.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

My main problem is that it is too ugly. Tattoos of it are even uglier.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

Callista wrote:
I don't like the puzzle piece logo. I'm not a puzzle. Autism may be an intriguing scientific challenge, but so is every other disorder out there that hasn't been fully described. I don't have any pieces missing; I'm different, but I'm okay the way I am.

The primary challenge of autism is to find a way to teach and include children with autism so that they grow up to be happy, competent autistic adults. The puzzle piece logo just says too much about people having to fix us or put us together. I would much prefer something like the rainbow infinity symbol--it has the same sense of mystery about it, but infinity as a concept is complete and interesting to learn about, and very useful for mathematics. I'd want us to be known as unusual people who come in a spectrum of possibilities, perhaps a little mysterious but nothing that a person can't understand. The rainbow infinity symbol fulfills that purpose.

I like the rainbow infinity symbol too, especially me being a math nerd

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

This is kind of cool:

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Perfect reaction image

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

nrau wrote:

Perfect reaction image

So, it's not the person speaking, but autism actually speaking? :?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 5:26 pm

FalsettoTesla wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
I find it silly when people are mindlessly against the puzzle piece logo.

I do not think anyone here 'mindlessly' declared dislike for it.

I'm not saying that people here are doing so mindlessly. I'm saying it bothers me when people do so mindlessly or only because organizations are supportive of it. People can in fact dislike it and have this be reasonable. However, there have been people mindlessly being against it on wrongplanet before.

Not liking the implication of being compared to a puzzle to be solved - sure that's reasonable. I don't find the same implication to be there, but if people find it then its reasonable for them to not like it. But not liking it because autism speaks likes it is silly. Or not liking it because its the popular symbol is silly. Or not liking it because people in the autism community don't like it is silly. I've seen all three of those.

Last edited by Tuttle on 05 Aug 2012, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.