not noticing objects pointed out: an AS thing??

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

Even if somebody says exactly what it is, I still can't see it anywhere. Makes me look so stupid.

Musicc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

I've always had this problem, but then I am not good at spatial info. Processing anyway.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 2:09 pm

FishStickNick wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I have the same difficulty too. I feel I am playing iSpy when I am told the name of the object and I have to go look for it. I also ask where is it at and keep asking.

What's even worse is when said object is literally right in front of you. :oops: :?

Mom used to tell me "if it had teeth, it would bite." She told the same to my brothers too. Now I tell myself that.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm lucky if the object just jumps out at me. I don't mean literally of course. I just happened to look the right direction and saw it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

This happens quite often with me. What's worse is that sometimes the object pointed out is right in front of my face and I don't find it until I've searched everywhere else.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:32 am

CyborgUprising wrote:
I cannot ascertain where someone is precisely pointing (I get the general direction, but I cannot determine which object they are indicating). Why can't people simply say what they want you to do without the confusing and needless pointing?
Nothing more irksome than someone pointing to a table with a thousand other objects on it, requesting me to "bring me that." What is "that?;" The salt? The pepper? The sugar? That oddly-shaped plate? When you question them, they act like you're an imbecile and say "look where I'm pointing!" or "God, I should've just done it myself!" (OK, then just f*****g do it next time)...

This.

BE MORE SPECIFIC! Is it so f*****g difficult to name the object you want? :x

Joe90 wrote:
Often my mum gets really annoyed when I can't see an object that is right in front of me. She then points to it angrily and yells, ''there, look, there!'' and makes me feel so stupid. I never forget that time when she asked me to fetch some money that was on the arm of the settee, and I went in the living-room and couldn't see any money anywhere, and I remembered my object-blindness problem so I brushed each arm of the settees with my hands so that it would fall off, then I would see it! But I wasn't too worried because the money wasn't even in the living-room - my mum had forgotten she had put it in her bag already.

[facepalm]

And we're the ones who are made to feel stupid?

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2012, 2:52 am

I have this problem a lot.
I feel so dumb when it happens. :cry:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 3:32 am

Just today I had this problem in Centrelink when I was directed to go to "the phones by the wall". I couldn't see them, I could only see computers. So I just risked it and went off in the general direction and finally saw the phones - they were kind of hidden behind people sitting in front of them. But I felt like an idiot for asking "Where?" twice.

MissMoneypenny
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2012, 4:35 am

My boyfriend asks me to go and fetch household tools while he's in the middle of some repair job, and because I'm not that familiar with all his tools anyway, and he probably hasn't put them down in exactly the location he's said, I'm often frantically scrabbling around hunting for the requested item, knowing how irate he gets if it isn't delivered into his hand in literally seconds. The minute he starts growling, "Don't make me come over there and get it myself," that's like the kiss of death as far as my ability to see and find things goes.

Another thing is when we're looking for something on the Internet. Because he isn't that computer literate and can't type, he thinks it will be easier if I type the search terms in Google and move the mouse, while he sits at my elbow and gives directions. The thing is, a lot of websites for me are just so visually cluttered. He sits there telling me the name of the link he wants me to click on, and I'm desperately hunting all over the screen trying to find whatever it is and not seeing it. I've tried to encourage him to use a pencil as a pointer when we are looking up information, but he won't, presumably in some misguided idea that if I have to work it out for myself I'll somehow "improve". Again, the moment he starts mouthing off to the effect that, "Are you hysterically blind?" or "Are you doing this on purpose to annoy me?" it just makes my thinking faculties freeze up.

I don't know what causes this as I don't have a NVLD, and my processing speed, while relatively speaking my weakest area, is still above average.

However, it is affected by two main things as far as I can tell: the pressure of expectations to quickly come up with the goods, and the person's irritation when their expectations aren't met within a certain timeframe. If our society wasn't so strung out on speed and instant gratification, would this even be a problem for us?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

MissMoneypenny wrote:
However, it is affected by two main things as far as I can tell: the pressure of expectations to quickly come up with the goods, and the person's irritation when their expectations aren't met within a certain timeframe. If our society wasn't so strung out on speed and instant gratification, would this even be a problem for us?

It would definitely be less of a problem, at least.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

gc1ceo

09 Aug 2012, 10:38 am

Yea I had more trouble with that when I was younger, to a point where people would physically grab my head (usually roughly) and try and point me at the object. For me now I don't think its too much worse then the average person, depends the circumstance, object, etc.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

gc1ceo wrote:
Yea I had more trouble with that when I was younger, to a point where people would physically grab my head (usually roughly) and try and point me at the object. For me now I don't think its too much worse then the average person, depends the circumstance, object, etc.

Yeah, had the head-grabbing thing too, even a couple of times in my adult life. F****ng hated it!!