Why I dont feel sorry for the rich having to pay more taxs

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 477
Location: Oregon

21 Aug 2012, 10:13 pm

1) The truly rich don't pay taxes. Not only can income be hidden in various tax havens, only the rich can buy foreign assets to avoid the inflation tax (which is how we're *really* paying for this deficit).

2) Most taxes can and are passed down via increased prices. A lot of these costs aren't accounted for in GDP because they occur in higher order goods (which is why we import so much these days). Taxes are ultimately paid by those who are lesser equipped to evade them. Higher taxes for one group will have a greater effect of distorting what economic deals can be made given the tax regulatory structure rather than higher revenue for bureaus.

3) Increasing taxes may make you feel better, but does it make you better off? Does increasing the number of bureaucrats increase the average man's income? Does reducing the overall burden make you cry because rich people are being disproportionately unburdened?

Tax politics has more to do with envy than economics.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,897
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

21 Aug 2012, 10:24 pm

anarkhos wrote:
1) The truly rich don't pay taxes. Not only can income be hidden in various tax havens, only the rich can buy foreign assets to avoid the inflation tax (which is how we're *really* paying for this deficit).

2) Most taxes can and are passed down via increased prices. A lot of these costs aren't accounted for in GDP because they occur in higher order goods (which is why we import so much these days). Taxes are ultimately paid by those who are lesser equipped to evade them. Higher taxes for one group will have a greater effect of distorting what economic deals can be made given the tax regulatory structure rather than higher revenue for bureaus.

3) Increasing taxes may make you feel better, but does it make you better off? Does increasing the number of bureaucrats increase the average man's income? Does reducing the overall burden make you cry because rich people are being disproportionately unburdened?

Tax politics has more to do with envy than economics.


It's not envy. It's only common sense that the Bush tax cuts that benefit only the wealthy few - and theoretically give the rest of us a few crumbs - are unsustainable, and will send the country into the shitter.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 477
Location: Oregon

22 Aug 2012, 2:46 am

Oh, so I suppose since it's "common sense" you don't have to address anything I said with any specificity.

Bush baaad, Obama goood



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,897
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

22 Aug 2012, 4:53 am

anarkhos wrote:
Oh, so I suppose since it's "common sense" you don't have to address anything I said with any specificity.

Bush baaad, Obama goood


Just stating my opinion. And yes, Bush was a bad president.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,022
Location: in my own little tamarillo jungle,

22 Aug 2012, 5:30 am

to the point where he still is one of the prime subject of comedians the world over.


_________________
//through chaos comes complexity//

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,897
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

22 Aug 2012, 5:34 am

Oodain wrote:
to the point where he still is one of the prime subject of comedians the world over.


:lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 477
Location: Oregon

22 Aug 2012, 5:44 am

Oodain wrote:
to the point where he still is one of the prime subject of comedians the world over.


How does this make him a worse president? Obama is no different in terms of policy, but you can't make fun of him because he's so sanctimonious.

I miss the Bush years. I used to go to dubyaspeak.com every day for fresh material. He was a gold mine.



JWC
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 740
Location: Macondo Wellhead

22 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

anarkhos wrote:
Tax politics has more to do with envy than economics.


QFT



JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,744
Location: yes

22 Aug 2012, 9:50 am

anarkhos wrote:
1) The truly rich don't pay taxes. Not only can income be hidden in various tax havens, only the rich can buy foreign assets to avoid the inflation tax (which is how we're *really* paying for this deficit).

2) Most taxes can and are passed down via increased prices. A lot of these costs aren't accounted for in GDP because they occur in higher order goods (which is why we import so much these days). Taxes are ultimately paid by those who are lesser equipped to evade them. Higher taxes for one group will have a greater effect of distorting what economic deals can be made given the tax regulatory structure rather than higher revenue for bureaus.

3) Increasing taxes may make you feel better, but does it make you better off? Does increasing the number of bureaucrats increase the average man's income? Does reducing the overall burden make you cry because rich people are being disproportionately unburdened?

Tax politics has more to do with envy than economics.


1) I don't understand how saying that the ultra-rich are bandits, cheats and swindlers is an argument not to tax them. I think it means we should put them in jail for avoiding paying their share.

2) Cite please. This canard only works for corporate income tax not personal.

3) Appeal to emotion very silly for a cut throat business type.


_________________
?We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

22 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

1) I don't understand how saying that the ultra-rich are bandits, cheats and swindlers is an argument not to tax them. I think it means we should put them in jail for avoiding paying their share.

.


The main qualification to just what is a "fair share" is to be armed and for the prospective victim not to be armed.


"Fair share" is a polite way of saying "might is right"

ruveyn



JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,744
Location: yes

22 Aug 2012, 10:32 am

ruveyn wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

1) I don't understand how saying that the ultra-rich are bandits, cheats and swindlers is an argument not to tax them. I think it means we should put them in jail for avoiding paying their share.

.


The main qualification to just what is a "fair share" is to be armed and for the prospective victim not to be armed.


"Fair share" is a polite way of saying "might is right"

ruveyn


Paying taxes is the same as being robbed in the same way as buying bread for $3 a loaf is being robbed.


_________________
?We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/


JWC
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 740
Location: Macondo Wellhead

22 Aug 2012, 11:01 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

1) I don't understand how saying that the ultra-rich are bandits, cheats and swindlers is an argument not to tax them. I think it means we should put them in jail for avoiding paying their share.

.


The main qualification to just what is a "fair share" is to be armed and for the prospective victim not to be armed.


"Fair share" is a polite way of saying "might is right"

ruveyn


Paying taxes is the same as being robbed in the same way as buying bread for $3 a loaf is being robbed.


When did the IRS start forcing people to buy bread?



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

22 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

Paying taxes is the same as being robbed in the same way as buying bread for $3 a loaf is being robbed.


my wife bakes our bread and it costs a great deal less than $3.00. No one is forced to buy bread in this semi-free land. One can make it, bake it, beg it or steal it. Buying it is one alternative among several. Being robbed at gun point gives only two alternatives --- give in or die.

ruveyn



JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,744
Location: yes

22 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

Paying taxes is the same as being robbed in the same way as buying bread for $3 a loaf is being robbed.


my wife bakes our bread and it costs a great deal less than $3.00. No one is forced to buy bread in this semi-free land. One can make it, bake it, beg it or steal it. Buying it is one alternative among several. Being robbed at gun point gives only two alternatives --- give in or die.

ruveyn


You are not against all taxes. <-statement whe have already discussed this.
Are the taxes on the wealthy the only ones that are robbery?


_________________
?We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/


ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

22 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:

You are not against all taxes. <-statement whe have already discussed this.
Are the taxes on the wealthy the only ones that are robbery?


Taxes necessary to insure the peace and protect the land are kosher. Taxes which transfer income from the productive to the incompetent are not kosher.

I am perfectly willing to pay for law courts, police forces and sufficient military power to protect the nation. I am not that willing to pay for handouts to the lazy and stupid folks who will not attempt to earn their keep. I am also opposed to taxes which subsidize business firms. Privatizing profits while socializing losses is just plain theft. Let each individual and each firm earn its keep in a sufficiently free market place.

ruveyn