Useful link if family are not accepting Aspergers diagnosis

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

I have found this useful as I am having trouble convincing certain family members of my daughters Aspergers.

Especially for Grandparents of a child with Aspergers

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

I can hardly convince my own mother - there is nothing you can do about denial. It just takes time. But here:

http://www.babble.com/toddler/toddler-development/aspergers-in-children-with-autism-diagnosis-behaviors/
^A background story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_mechanism
^Just to understand where they are coming from

I am assuming time helps, but no hope there.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

Thanks, its all worth a try! We have the problem that the person who doesnt believe used to teach severly autistic children who could not attend mainstream schools, she sees the world very black and white and wont accept that its a spectrum, so if our daughter can walk and talk she cant be autistic! :/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 5:48 pm

ConfusedNewb wrote:
Thanks, its all worth a try! We have the problem that the person who doesnt believe used to teach severly autistic children who could not attend mainstream schools, she sees the world very black and white and wont accept that its a spectrum, so if our daughter can walk and talk she cant be autistic! :/

The person who worked with severely autistic kids, is she aspie or NT?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

I would say so yes but Im not even gonna go there lol! Just spent a year convincing my husband of our daughters aspie tendancies, now hes admitting he has the similar issues and suspects it runs in his family! Ive done enough with the 2 that I live with lol, Im exhausted! ;)

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 8:40 pm

ConfusedNewb wrote:
I would say so yes but Im not even gonna go there lol! Just spent a year convincing my husband of our daughters aspie tendancies, now hes admitting he has the similar issues and suspects it runs in his family! Ive done enough with the 2 that I live with lol, Im exhausted! ;)

Job well done, you deserve a break! I am SOOOOO thankful that this is one hurdle I have not had to jump over. Family have all been very supportive and understanding. If only I could say the same about the public school!

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2012, 5:29 am

Really, thats not good :/ We are sending our daughter to public school but they are known for helping in diagnosis, recognising it, then they are great at dealing with any requirements that child might have after a diagnosis, really think it will do her good, cant wait for September!
Im lucky that my family (just the inlaws that have problems) have been great, no one has questioned it. Some friends have been a bit dismissive but I just dont talk about it with them, they dont need to know. Unfortunately I will have to distance myself a bit from any family that wont listen as it disrupts our efforts to help her. We spend months trying to sort out a problem only to have them undo all the work after just one weekend staying with them :evil: they are having her for a week soon and Im dreading it, she comes back with the attitude "Grandma lets me do it" to everything and somethings are too dangerous to allow.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

I'm having a hard time with getting my husband on board... I'm going to read these links and see if they might help my situation. My Dad told me I was nuts. My husband thinks its a load of horse manure. Basically no one believes it because she speaks so well, but then they get frustrated she can't have a two way conversation! Duh, she's autistic! That's part of it! They get mad she's spinning in circles and ignoring them, or won't talk to them on the phone!! Duh! That's the autism, the thing everyone who isn't a doctor claims she doesn't have!

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:48 pm

I really like the linked article. We wrote up something similar when DS was first diagnosed, and sent it around to our family, with odd levels of success or failure. Thanks for posting!

ConfusedNewb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2012, 1:46 pm

I had a really hard time getting my husband to come round to it too, once we had the diagnosis and we watched the film Temple Grandin he started to wonder if he had it too as he thinks in pictures and the more we learn about it the more convinced he is that not only does our daughter have Aspergers but so does he, and so does half his family! It seems its the people who sow traits themselves that cant see it in our daughter!! I still havent had any kind of apology from all the non- believers who are now on our side. My mother in law took my daughter this morning to her house and she had a massive melt down in front of her and I think this has gone some way to convince her its not all "rubbish" as she thought.