Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2006, 7:22 am

What language do you use, and why?
How often, when finding a simple solution to a problem, do you say: "I'm a ****ing idiot." loud enough for people to nod their heads in affirmation?

Do you use it to make complex applications, or just shortcut programs?

And finally; why did you learn to program?

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 10:38 am

I love Ruby programming!

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2006, 10:40 am

Hello, I use:

VB (both VB6 and VB.Net)
SQL (both SQL Base and MS SQL Server)

Those are the main languages I use (for my job)
I use some less well-known languages too, and in my spare time I turn to web coding, making websites/apps
(so html, javascript, php, asp, asp.net etc)

bheid wrote:

Both. Though I find the best programs are the ones you make because you need a shortcut tool for a job.
You need it, so you make it. These tend to start off as small 'shortcut programs' but often grow into more complex programs.

bheid wrote:

I'm not sure why .... it's something I've always seemed to do.
From when I was about 14 (maybe even a few years before that). My brother would play games on the computer, but I would try to write programs/databases/games.

And that has never changed. :D Feels like I've been doing it all my life.
When I was younger, I used to think that computers were better than people ... because they were more reliable, and less 'random'

I taught myself all the languages I know, but can't remember learning them.

Programming is great!

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2006, 11:48 am

I use Java for most applications, C++ for things requiring efficiency, HTML/Javascript/PHP/MySQL for web based stuff and scripting, all because it's the best for those particular fields.

I usually don't say it out loud. I mostly think to myself "Haha! You're a f*****g genious!" instead.

I usually make small programs.
I mostly don't work with programing, so I can't justify spending time on big projects if I can't gain something.
Right now I'm working on a larger project.

I learned to program because the idea of making the computer do what I wanted intrigued me.
I got hooked because it was so systematic and logical.

Last edited by ion on 30 Nov 2006, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2006, 1:00 pm

Quote:
What language do you use, and why?

C and C++: Cos they're the only properly supported languages on games consoles
Assembler (ARM & MIPS): Cos sometimes it can make a huge performance difference
Lua: Cos writing an entire game in C/C++ can be tiresome
Python: For tedious chores

I'm also trying to learn Lisp, but I don't really use it enough for it to sink in.

Quote:
How often, when finding a simple solution to a problem, do you say: "I'm a ****ing idiot." loud enough for people to nod their heads in affirmation?

Often. A common variation on this involves me getting stuck on something and asking a coworker for help. They stand there while I explain the problem, then in the course of explaining the problem I realise where I was going wrong, then I thank them for their help and they walk off without having said a word. One coworker suggested I get a cardboard-cutout of him to do the job of standing there while I figure things out.

Quote:

Mostly complex applications. I do write little utility programs, but they're mostly designed to do some kind of job for a big complex application I'm working on.

Quote:

I learnt to program mainly because the first computer I ever had (a ZX Spectrum) positively encouraged it. It *wanted* to be programmed. The first thing you'd see on switching it on was a BASIC prompt.

I often wonder how I would've gotten started if I'd had a modern PC rather than a speccie...I doubt I'd have been coding aged 13 anyway.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 4:50 pm

C for simple command line stuff, C++ (and MFC) for when I need a GUI or am dealing with larger projects. I've dabbled in other languages, but not in any sort of noteworthy amount.

Quote:
I mostly think to myself "Haha! You're a f***ing genious!" instead.

Yeah, that's more what I do.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2006, 1:48 am

Delphi for Windows applications. C or assembly language for others. I just finished a large library where I first developed it on Delphi and then downgraded it to C since it's the lowest common denominator and is available for most platforms.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2006, 3:50 am

It's nice to know there's kindred spirts around these parts. the lack of programming related threads made me a little anxious.

dgd1788 wrote:
I love Ruby programming!

I saw your thread on ruby, it looked intriguing, but if i converted from pascal i'd feel like i couldn't handle the language :(

Davidufo wrote:
When I was younger, I used to think that computers were better than people ... because they were more reliable, and less 'random'

I still believe that.. :wink:

Ion wrote:
I usually don't say it out loud. I mostly think to myself "Haha! You're a f***ing genious!" instead.

I guess the glass is half full for you :)

klassobanieras wrote:
One coworker suggested I get a cardboard-cutout of him to do the job of standing there while I figure things out.

But that defies one of the unwritten laws of general computing!
Namely: "whenever an error occurs, tell someone aout it, and the error will magically disappear to make you look stupid"

None of you mentioned Batch file language for shortcut programs? It's my experience that they are criminally underapreciated.

Isn't delphi a sister language to PASCAL?

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2006, 4:55 am

dgd1788 wrote:
I love Ruby programming!

me wrote:
I saw your thread on ruby, it looked intriguing, but if i converted from pascal i'd feel like i couldn't handle the language :(

i just insulted you, didn't i? sorry.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 6:19 am

Mostly Java. Because that's what they taught in the program I took.

But, also I've dabbled in C, C++, Fortran (don't expect to use that ever again) Visual Basic for Applications (Don't WANT to ever touch that again), a not particularly useful language more for an assembly demonstration (simulated CPU and all that), a pair of functional programming langauges who's names I forget, and a smidge of lisp.

There's HTML, SQL, XML, and the likes, but those aren't [b]programming[b] languages.

I've done a bit with POVRay, but I don't know if that's really a programming language either.

I'm thinking about picking up Python too. And brushing up on a few of those that I listed above. Maybe objective C. I was told that it's like C++ that gets things right. (Seriously C++ can be big time buggy)

I should probably learn some more APIs too, like OpenGL.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2006, 7:16 am

Quote:
(Seriously C++ can be big time buggy)

a buggy programming language? dosen't that defy the entire concept?

Jeckel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2006, 6:09 am

I love Python, it is down right awesome. I am currently making a MOO II clone in python pygame. With its extendablity using the Cs, you just can't beat it. In my python adventures I've picked up some xml and basic C++.

In addition to that I get endless enjoyment out of softcoding mushes and muds, you don't get much more object oriented then pennmush or tinymush. I've coded several mushes that never had many users, but had tons of code and doing that is what really taught me the basics of coding, if, then, else, attributes, and values, it all comes down to that regardless of the language. :)

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 9:43 am

I use c#:-

For Game Programming,

why coz it can cut up to 80% off programming in another language,

Thought ill just paste from microsoft as be easyier to list why....

An evolution of Microsoft C and Microsoft C++, C# is simple, modern, type safe, and object oriented. C# code is compiled as managed code, which means it benefits from the services of the common language runtime. These services include language interoperability, garbage collection, enhanced security, and improved versioning support.

The .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows different programming languages and libraries to work together seamlessly to create Windows, Web, Mobile, or Office applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy, and integrate with other networked systems or as stand alone applications.
The .NET Framework consists of:

* The Common Language Runtime (CLR)
A language-neutral development and execution environment that provides services to help "manage" application execution
* The Framework Class Libraries (FCL)
A consistent, object-oriented library of prepackaged functionality

Visual Studio is the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that developers work inside when creating programs in one of many languages, including Visual C#, for the .NET Framework.

Allway's wanted to do my own Game's... or be part of it...

Last edited by logitechdog on 19 Dec 2006, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 9:45 am

bheid wrote:
Quote:
(Seriously C++ can be big time buggy)

a buggy programming language? dosen't that defy the entire concept?

It's not so much the language that's buggy, so much as in it's use. This is what I ment.

As an example, you can define an array which for those who don't know is basically a way of saying, "give me a chunk of memory." The idea essentially is that it's ordered, like a list. "grab the first item" "put this in the 57th spot".

Now, what you can do in C++ is to say, "Write in the 567891st space" but, your array only has 10 spaces. Or at least in theory. Arrays in C++ take more of a pirates code approach, which is to say the bounds are more of 'guidelines'.

This makes it easy to do something called buffer overflows, where you insert values that are code instructions, not just values (what you want the program to do is also stored in memory, so you can change that too if you get access to it).

That's a big one, but there's all kinds of other things too. There are a lot of really psychotic things you can do in C++. But, this is one of the things that's up for debate. "Should the programming language let you do stupid things under normal circumstances you probably don't want to in those few cases you might, or restrict you thus making it easier to develop?".

Fortunately that there are many programming languages means that you can pick and choose depending on your situation.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 9:47 am

Jeckel wrote:
I love Python, it is down right awesome. I am currently making a MOO II clone in python pygame. With its extendablity using the Cs, you just can't beat it. In my python adventures I've picked up some xml and basic C++.

In addition to that I get endless enjoyment out of softcoding mushes and muds, you don't get much more object oriented then pennmush or tinymush. I've coded several mushes that never had many users, but had tons of code and doing that is what really taught me the basics of coding, if, then, else, attributes, and values, it all comes down to that regardless of the language. :)

If I ever finish up my MU* server, I might have to talk to you :P

(I'm hard coding my own server, and generally making it more complicated than I really have to)

Jeckel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2006, 10:20 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:
If I ever finish up my MU* server, I might have to talk to you :P

(I'm hard coding my own server, and generally making it more complicated than I really have to)

What fun would programming be if you couldn't make it as complicated as you want to. ;)

Hit me up any time, I love talking coding. :)