Not noticing things - is that an Aspie thing?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 1:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
I have object-blindness, but only when people ask me to pass them something or get me to look at something.

I also have trouble looking for Christmas or birthday presents in shops. My mum has an enjoyment in colouring in (in adult colouring books), and I was inclined to get her a couple of colouring in books for Christmas. I looked in all the possible shops that sell things like colouring books but can't find one anywhere. I told my friend, and she says I'm probably not looking in the right place in the shops, or not looking hard enough. I know she is right, so she's going to help me tomorrow - and then she'll probably point out a whole section of colouring books where I have looked a number of times before. :roll: :lol:

But I think the reason being is I get stressed if I get other customers in shops standing too close to me. I just get distracted and can't concentrate on looking for what I want until they have gone. I hate it when somebody's standing right next to me looking at where I'm looking, and then they suddenly reach their arm across my face to get the item that sitting exactly right in front of my face. It's like a Murphy's Law thing what always seems to happen to me in shops.
You can find adult coloring books in craft stores and on Amazon online.

Wreck It Ralph

kt69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2013, 7:06 am

skibum wrote:
It is funny because I can notice and register tiny things and very small details but not register big things. I may see them but it does not register in my mind that they are there. It's like a miss the connection somehow.

Me too.

I asked a co worker for directions a few weeks ago. He told me to turn left at the big appartment building i always drive past on my way home. I never noticed it was there until he pointed out to me exactly where it was. I mean, i did see it, i just never noticed it. And i've been driving past it for years! :?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 8:24 am

Everybody does it. At least, everybody I know.

Then again, except my grandmother, I may have to accept the fact that, actually, NOBODY I know is neurotypical. It may be that everyone I know is either Aspie, ADHD, schizoid, dealing with senile dementia, or bipolar (or a kid, which is an atypicality in its own right lol).

I do it often. One of my favorite catch phrases is, "If it was a snake it would've bit me." It means that it was right there in front of my face, and I still didn't see it.

I write it down to noticing everything, plus not multitasking well. Just because you see it, doesn't mean your brain has the available bandwidth to process what your eyes are saying.

My mamaw is in the later stages of dementia. She can look right at something-- especially if it's something she's worried about not having, like CocaCola or incontinence pads (she has STACKS of both in her closet)-- and end up crying because she can't find it.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2013, 8:33 am

I was once in a store that got robbed and I didn't notice.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

diablo77 wrote:
I was once in a store that got robbed and I didn't notice.

Lol... That's a classic! :)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 5:10 pm

hanyo wrote:
RedHouse wrote:
reading this thread so far and i have to say, this happens to me a lot to. i let my uncertainty get the best of me and choose to not act or speak. many strange reactions from others have been avoided this way, only to make my mind even more strange i think.

Me too. I think because it seemed like whenever I did something it was always wrong that it's better to just do nothing at all. Why bother when it will be wrong no matter what you do?

This is so me.

I just accept stuff that happens around me now. Its a bit of problem every now and then, but overall I think It's saved more pain than it's caused.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

I just thought of something else : elevators. When someone makes it stop before the floor I go, I always get out and it takes me a few seconds to realize it is the wrong floor. The floors are quite similar and the elevator is quiet, but still ; I believe it happens to me at least once a day at work.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 1:58 am

I used to have to get my car jumped fairly regularly because the battery was dead, then one day i drove my buddy home and was going to stop in for a drink and he was like "you gonna turn off your lights?" I didn't even realize I had turned them on cause it was still lightish out. Then he said, "Dude, your car is fucing beeping at you because the lights are on!"

"WHAT!! !" I exclaimed!

but there it was, my car was f*****g beeping at me and I hadn't noticed for 5 f*****g years I'd been driving the thing. I haven't needed a jump since.

Amanda52
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2023, 11:24 pm

I’m like this too. Don’t notice things .. a particular shop or landmark or object that’s been there for years

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 7:07 pm

I think it's an Aspie thing to notice things that NTs don't, and to fail to notice things that NTs do. It's like they're in their opaque world and I'm in mine. But there is some overlap or we'd never get anything done together.