Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm

Is graffiti a good thing or a bad thing?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

depends,

seen a lot of amazing grafitti art, much of it on request, nothing wrong with that, quite the contrary.

on the other hand writing pointless tags and messages in train tunnels (maybe even some badly made explicit artwork to boot) doesnt really bring much with it in the way of art or relevance, only looks bad.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm

Most of it is vulgar and or gang related on private property. Only a small minority has any artistic value at all.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 11:40 pm

Should be done in public places or your own house. Don't touch other people's homes and businesses.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:52 am

i generally find the phenomenon rather interesting. contrary to jacoby's thoughts, i don't think particularly much of it is gang related, although i do live in the uk which might be the differentiating factor here. aesthetically pleasing or otherwise, i think there are numerous connotations in the urge to execute elicit graffiti, which generally reflect issues in society as a whole, and which i consider a transgressive act indulged in by those with no stock in society and little in the way of opportunity. political connotations notwithstanding, i see it as a means for one to make a mark on a society which affords no other means of "making a mark".

but again, as a crude form of unrestrained vernacular expression, i find it somewhat fascinating.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

I find it to be an interesting window into how other people think and sometimes feel. I like it in that context just fine.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 2:06 am

Depends. If it's some sort of elaborate signature or image, and it is in a public place, then I don't mind it. If it is just a simple tag or it is on private property, then it can sometimes irritate me. Mostly, I just don't understand graffiti. People who engage in graffiti might as well be aliens as far as I am concerned. I don't understand their motivations.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 6:56 am

I feel like it should be up to the owner of the building.

I say this because a police officer yelled at me for doodling [in mechanical pencil] on the bus sign, and for god's sake I was drawing an elaborate smiley face that would wash off when it rains, don't you have better things to do with your time?

Some of it's cool. I think as long as they keep it to the exterior and sides of the building rather than the front there shouldn't be an issue. [out of sight anyways.]

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 7:40 am

Tagging is lame but graffiti is awesome.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:12 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Should be done in public places or your own house. Don't touch other people's homes and businesses.

"Public places" belong to the taxpayers. They are not just there to deface.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

Raptor wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Please say something I disagree with you are filling me full of self doubt. :?

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:22 pm

There are good kinds of graffiti. Those are the creative kinds, applied to the artist's property or the property of someone who has asked for graffiti art to be applied. I've seen some very good graffiti art, but that was almost all legal. As they said, there is also a difference between art and vulgar tags. People who paint tags on other people's property, or in the public space, should be picked up from the street, given a firm kick in their reproductive organs, and made to scrub the paint off the walls in their underwear.

And unfortunately, for every legitimate work of art I encounter, I see thousands of tags.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Please say something I disagree with you are filling me full of self doubt. :?

If you go over my entire posting history you'll find volumes of things to be outraged at.
:twisted:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:53 pm

Tagging is stupid, it is not artistic or clever. Murals made by urban artists are nice when they are asked to do so. I think it is extremely inconsiderate to deface someone else's property

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:32 pm

Is writing a good thing or a bad thing?

ruveyn

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:46 pm

I recall my high school tried to discourage graffiti in the surrounding town by setting up a wall where anyone could draw. Naturally it was covered in dicks within a week