Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:18 am

I think one of the biggest difficulties I have in relating to the NT world is that I so often make wrong assumptions about specific situations involving people.

Eg: I'm obsessed with stray cats and devote a huge part of my life to them. I once met a woman who is more obsessive than me about stray cats (she even left her IT career to care for strays 24/7 and does nothing else with her life. Once she invited me to a holiday dinner at her home, where I met her parents and life partner and the 20 or so former stray cats living with her and her partner. My automatic assumption: the central topic of conversation would be stray cats. Well, big mistake. Turned out stray cats is a taboo topic in that house because the life partner isn't especially fond of and doesn't like much talk about it. Mentioning in awe the amount of cats they have is also a big NO-NO. I was told early in the conversation to change the topic and refrain from mentioning it again. I had wrongly taken for granted that someone like her, with values and a lifestyle like hers, could only have a life partner who was deep into stray cats too. To me, it'd be totally unthinkable otherwise.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

Moondust wrote:
I think one of the biggest difficulties I have in relating to the NT world is that I so often make wrong assumptions about specific situations involving people.

Eg: I'm obsessed with stray cats and devote a huge part of my life to them. I once met a woman who is more obsessive than me about stray cats (she even left her IT career to care for strays 24/7 and does nothing else with her life. Once she invited me to a holiday dinner at her home, where I met her parents and life partner and the 20 or so former stray cats living with her and her partner. My automatic assumption: the central topic of conversation would be stray cats. Well, big mistake. Turned out stray cats is a taboo topic in that house because the life partner isn't especially fond of and doesn't like much talk about it. Mentioning in awe the amount of cats they have is also a big NO-NO. I was told early in the conversation to change the topic and refrain from mentioning it again. I had wrongly taken for granted that someone like her, with values and a lifestyle like hers, could only have a life partner who was deep into stray cats too. To me, it'd be totally unthinkable otherwise.

I think everyone makes incorrect assumptions sometimes. The frequency at which you make them is generally reduced the better you get at 'reading people', so people on the spectrum probably do this more often.

Just an aside, but that sounds like hoarding behaviour to me. I mean, collecting animals to the detriment of your personal relationships is kind of... hoarder. I mean, taking in stray cats is awesome, and people should do it, but there's a line. I'm not sure where that line is, I think it's different for different people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:32 pm

When I first saw the title, I thought "everyone does" and then I read your OP and saw you were talking about totally something else.

If you wish to have lot of cats, make you you take good care of your home and always clean up their accidents and have plenty of litter boxes. I have watched Animals Hoarders and their homes were always a health hazard due to the feces and pee and a mess. Plus the animals would be having health problems too. I fail to understand why some pet owners don't clean up after their pets. they just leave the mess on the floor and walls, everywhere.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

gc1ceo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2012, 10:21 pm

Honestly that sounds more like an innocent mistake.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 12:19 am

Maybe, but somehow it doesn't seem to happen to other people, or not nearly as much, I think.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 12:30 am

Moondust wrote:
Maybe, but somehow it doesn't seem to happen to other people, or not nearly as much, I think.

At least you didn't talk about bodily functions. :lol: I have made that mistake. Never discuss it at the table while people are eating.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PokemonChampionIris
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2012, 6:17 am

ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME
:oops:

It's getting better but I still question SOME things, like;
1. One person said they h*ted FLORAL print dresses on here...That mean's flowers are bad or something, right? :cry:

and

2. I fail to see why ANYONE would use the h-word expressively like that, all concidering the word itself is the epatome of SHEER EVIL. I concider this....very selfish of them. But i'm also trying not to care anymore.....

I understand attraction to fictional violence better now, though (but anything too dark/gloomy is still gonna erk me). I'm also very attracted to powerful pokemon....almost power in and of itself in a way now.

But i'm still quite on the cutting edge of overall confusion. Yeah...

~Pokemon Trainer for LIFE...~

Harry_Dawson
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2012, 6:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
At least you didn't talk about bodily functions. :lol: I have made that mistake. Never discuss it at the table while people are eating.

^^ Haha, yes, I've made the same mistake :-D ^^

For some reason people seem sensitive about things when they eat. Maybe it's a lack of imagination, but specific (graphic) topics never seem to bother me, even if I'm eating.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 8:23 pm

yes i tend to make wrong assumptions a lot. i find generally its best for me to ask a question before doing something to make sure i totally understand something even if i think i get it. 9 out of ten of the times i find i miss understood something important and glad i did. i find when ever i make an assumption about something it gets into trouble. today i tried to buy some laundry detergent and bought fabric softener instead because i didn't look at the label and assumed it was landry detergent and then had to do an extra trip to take it back.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 10:56 pm

im always wrong so I dont assume anything anymore.