Coin a word for discrimination of people on the spectrum!

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 7:55 pm

I think autistiphobia or anti-autistic would be the best.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

neuro-ist
neuro-ism
neuro-diverse-ist
neuro-diverse-ism
neuro-diversity phobia
neuro-diverse-phobia
neuro-phobia
neuro-diversity exclusion
neuro-diverse exclusion
neuro-exclusion
neuro-diversity discrimination
neuro- diverse-discrimination
neuro-discrimination
neuro-diversity prejudice
neuro-diverse prejudice
neuro-prejudice

TheSunAlsoRises

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

Wierdophobe. I happen to be one,
Freedom of Association has a Freedom not to.

Even a few people who like me, or put up with me sometimes, edit out when I go off on something that is of great interest to me, and no one else.

The big minorities you pander to are Black, Gay, Jew, but Autistics are nothing like other Neurodiverse people, or even other Autistic people.

Antilonermutantite is not going to bring us closer together.

I am quite able to look past any label, and dislike the person.

Perhaps you could convert to something that has a developed hate speech?

You don't love me because I am a (Blank), is true. I also do not dislike you for being a (Blank),

But I do dislike you, and will do everything I can to avoid you.

I am currently avoiding over seven Billion people, who I want nothing to do with.

Yes, I am (Blanking) you, and (Blanking) against you, and I am a (Blankity) (Blank) (Blank) (Blank)!

I never did care, but I used to be more open before all these Brand Name Labels came out.

I am not named Rainman, I will not tell you how to win the lottery, and I do not like Tags, labels, Markers. What do you mean Autistic? I have heard the term, but could you define it?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

I like "self-righteous, officious, narrow-minded s**thead distinctly lacking in empathy." But that's quite a mouthful to have to utter many times in the course ofne discussion. Aside from carrying the negative social charge of being derisive, expletive, and offensive (and I'm hoping we're almost past the point of tit-for-tat being a necessary eye-opener, though I may be overestimating Homo sapiens yet again).

Ableism is about the best I've heard. But you're right-- I think we need some neologisms here. Something specific, something with punch that's right on the mark, since a lot of people respond well to journalistic tactics and tend to like to paint "Here There Be Dragons" on anything general or amorphous.

Herd-mindism?? Flat-earthism or Antiheliocentrism, perhaps, in commemoration of the fact that people once had trouble accepting a spherical planet and a sun-centered solar system simply because it ran against what everyone had always believed???

Those are funny, but not sufficient.

Majoritism, or minoritism?? The belief that only the majority can be right or good?? Neurocentrism is an interesting one. Perhaps typicocentrism, or meanism?? I like meanism. It carries a dual meaning-- both "favoring the statistical mean, or average" and "being a nasty bastard." Though actually in mathematical terminology it would more properly be called "modeism-- favoring the most common number."

This is fun. Useless, but fun. A good way to pass a hold-the-baby day.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 10:45 pm

Meanism, or Meanie. Meany, infering not only average, normal, common, (IQ 100, thinks two party politics works, and spends much more effort supporting a sports team than the culture in which they live.)

Modeism is out of their perceptual range, Lowest Common Denominator.

But really, name calling only works on minorities.

I have tried for something inclusive, the best so far is Hairless Ground Ape.

The problem is they have no idea what they are objecting to.

Some object to skin color, religion, sex choices, but that does not matter to me, I object to any of them speaking to me.

Autism seems Narrow Bandwidth, with High Amplitude. While the rest might be Broadband, their signal is weak across a broad spectrum.

I try to convince people that I was not always this way, until I got infected, and it is highly contagious and incurable.

In my youth Demonic Possession was a common thought, and a protection, for I had friends in low places.

Science has ruined things, and Autism Awareness is the worst.

At less than 1% and that spread over a spectrum, we should not draw attention to our selves.

For every one of us, there are 99 wrong answers.

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2012, 2:09 am

antirationalism

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:34 am

Aspiphobic, Autiphobic?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:17 am

The word aspiphoia already exists to refer to this.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SpectrumWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm

Diversist: A person who believes in diversism.

Diversism: 1. a belief that conformity is the primary determinant of human values, traits, and capacities, and that conformity produces an inherent superiority of a particular herd

2. individual prejudice or discrimination, i.e. discrimination of the individual because they are not conformed with the herd

Derived from the Latin word for different; diversis

You need something that rings a bell, many languages derive from Latin. Also, easy enough to say and simple enough to catch on. The definitions might need some tweaking, but that's my suggestion.

nonneurotypical
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 11:36 am

I say we need not go far from home to coin a neologism for this purpose. There is a word that has been stuck in my brain for a while, which I suppose already has a bit of a meaning. However, the word does not really seem to be used as far as I can tell. We could hijack it. I would like to propose something like this:

Autist = One who holds and acts upon biased views toward autistics, or more generally, one who is accepting only of others like his or her own self.

Autistism = Believing or acting in the manner of an autist who holds and acts upon biased views toward austistics, or more generally toward others unlike his or her own self.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

nonneurotypical wrote:
I say we need not go far from home to coin a neologism for this purpose. There is a word that has been stuck in my brain for a while, which I suppose already has a bit of a meaning. However, the word does not really seem to be used as far as I can tell. We could hijack it. I would like to propose something like this:

Autist = One who holds and acts upon biased views toward autistics, or more generally, one who is accepting only of others like his or her own self.

Autistism = Believing or acting in the manner of an autist who holds and acts upon biased views toward austistics, or more generally toward others unlike his or her own self.

Autist is already used to describe autistic people.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

nonneurotypical

25 Aug 2012, 7:57 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Autist is already used to describe autistic people.

Where have you seen it used and by whom?

I have read something that used the term once in passing as a novel term to refer indirectly to someone with autism in something old... I can't remember what. I thought it was Uta Frith or someone like that characterizing the similarities and differences in Kanner's verses Asperger's, but haven't found the reference.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

nonneurotypical wrote:
Where have you seen it used and by whom?
Use the search box at the top of the screen to find the many uses of it here on WP, or just use Google to find its general usage.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Autist; One who practices the Art of Aut.

Aut, Self, turning inward. From which Autism is named.

The Autist is a culture of one, a typical pretends to hold a part in a shared culture, in the large sense, religion, politics, sports.

A Neurotypical is one who exhibits all of the normal behaviors of a hairless ground ape, and is not going to Goggle a term they have never heard.

Calling them names they do not understand can turn dangerous quickly.

Becoming engaged with the entire herd would be a cure for Autism.

It would at least be a loss of status, Social Autistic?

I work on not becoming involved, and keeping them out of my life.

nonneurotypical

28 Aug 2012, 3:49 am

I know there are idiosyncratic uses of the term "autist,", but I don't seem to find anything showing a formal use of the term. I know the basic Greek etomology of "autism" and I don't see a use of the term "autist" there. Anyhow, if no one likes that suggestion, and people want to use it as a simple term for people with autism, I understand.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but that brings me back to the question that has been in my head for quite a while. Why isn't the term "autist" formally used to describe people with autism? If I am wrong, someone please point me to some uses in some type of literature that use it. I am interested in following its use. As I mentioned previously, I only recall coming across its use once in the autism and Asperger syndrome literature I've read and it was treated as novel (in quotes) when it was used as I recall. (I've been reading Canadian, American, British, and Austrailian stuff in English by the way.)

MiLK, since you started the thread, what do you think of the suggestions so far? I'd say daydreamer84's "anti-autistic" is about as to-the-point as you can get. The only reason I didn't initially jump on board with that suggestion is that I thought we were trying to come up with a neologism that was a bit spicy.

Oh, and by the way, how does one ever achieve a consensus among people on the spectrum with such distinctly formulated and independent points of view?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Aug 2012, 8:21 am

nonneurotypical wrote:
Why isn't the term "autist" formally used to describe people with autism? If I am wrong, someone please point me to some uses in some type of literature that use it. I am interested in following its use.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "formal". :wink:
A casual Google search uncovers many definitions but I've found no original "defining moment" -style definition.

Google Ngram viewer shows it has quite a history (although many of the very early occurrences are OCR errors on the word "artist"):
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?co ... moothing=3