Coin a word for discrimination of people on the spectrum!

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MiLK
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

I have come to the conclusion that there should be a word that describes the discrimination, hatred, bias and maltreatment (including the denial of services) towards people on the spectrum.

I cannot escape the notion that what is happening today is as severe as racism, anti-semitism and homophobia (homophobia has already been acknowledged as such in my country).

I invite you to coin a word that rivals anti-semitism in its meaning regarding hatred to people on the spectrum. It should be appropriate and fitting within how language functions when it comes to forming new words of course.

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2012, 3:04 pm

Antispectrite, antispectrism

Autphobic

Autintolerant (that sounds like a bowel disorder...)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

Is there a reason that you're wanting a different word than ableism - the discrimination against those with disabilities?

Superflea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2012, 4:13 pm

Spectrophobe

Spectrophobic

I like the Antispectrite suggestion :)

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

Quote:
I cannot escape the notion that what is happening today is as severe as racism, anti-semitism and homophobia (homophobia has already been acknowledged as such in my country).

That sounds like typical newspaper & media reporting to me. Maybe you watch too much "Hart van Nederland" on SBS6. ( every country has their dumbed-down news channels ).
Journalists go for impact, rather than accuracy.

If some phsycho / killer / pervert / whatever just happens to coincidentally be suspected of being on the spectrum then the journalists cannot help but mentioning that. But if the phsycho / killer / pervert (or whatever) happened to be in a wheelchair, then the journalists would not try to forge any link to suggest the avoidance of physically disabled people.
It's because there is less understanding of autism spectrum disorders compared to, say physically handicapped people where it is easy for any person to associate that a lesion of a spinal chord with limited physical mobility. In contrast with AS, nobody really knows the neurological and genetical contributions that result (or may not result) in certain specific aspie traits. Whatever people don't know about, they are scared of.

Same as why people are afraid of the dark, despite most crimes happening during daylight hours. Journalists love to inject fear into their readers, so their writing emphasis is more on effect and impact, rather than accuracy.

It also explains why Astrology is more popular in newspapers than Astronomy. Unscientific literature that simply "sounds good", or connects more with empathy or irrational feelings, despite being factually nonsense, usually has more impact than stories based on scientific facts.

Last edited by Chris71 on 10 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 4:46 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Is there a reason that you're wanting a different word than ableism - the discrimination against those with disabilities?

No, there is no reason. I didn't know that word existed. I now see there is also an equivalent in my language.

However thinking more about it, discrimination and abuse against people on the spectrum and other mental disorders can be quite extreme. There are many extreme cases in which people disciminate, hate, demonise and abuse people on the spectrum (etc.) willfully.

I'm looking for a word that emphasizes this and puts it at the same level as racism and anti-semitism. Then it can be used when hopefully someone wants to point at this issue in the media and in politics. It would be more direct to say to or about a wrongdoer that said person is a so-and-so. I doubt ableist is strong enough to cover the emotional charge.

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

How about "wrong-planetoid" , or "alien species" ( in the viewpoint of some people , including some of the media )
Not my personal preference of course.

I would just call myself "mentally challenged". Others on WP who've read my posts on other threads might agree with this one.

For a serious answer, I don't think I can beat Tuttle's suggestion of "ableism".

MiLK
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Chris71 wrote:
Quote:

That sounds like typical newspaper & media reporting to me. Maybe you watch too much "Hart van Nederland" on SBS6. (every country has their dumbed-down news channels).

Yes, if you want to make your voice heard then it's a good idea to go in hard and make waves. Notice though that this is not just a tactic of today but something that has been there throughout history, most notably in the twentieth century. There was a time where the term anti-semitism didn't exist but at some point in history people decided to call it this way even though there were words like discrimination and racism.

Quote:
If some phsycho / killer / pervert / whatever just happens to coincidentally be suspected of being on the spectrum then the journalists cannot help but mentioning that. But if the phsycho / killer / pervert (or whatever) happened to be in a wheelchair, then the journalists would not try to forge any link to suggest the avoidance of physically disabled people.

That's exactly why you need something to stop this anti-propaganda. Call it so-and-so and you make a stronger case and try to appeal to a public sentiment. The sentiment at the moment is quite bad but if you put a lot of effort into autism awareness and campaigning then you could introduce the coined word and appeal to these public sentiments of social justice.

Quote:
It's because there is less understanding of autism spectrum disorders compared to, say physically handicapped people where it is easy for any person to associate that a lesion of a spinal chord with limited physical mobility. In contrast with AS, nobody really knows the neurological and genetical contributions that result (or may not result) in certain specific aspie traits. Whatever people don't know about, they are scared of.

And because they don't know much about it, you should make effort in people knowing about it and getting the right information to reduce their fear and increase goodwill.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Chris71 wrote:
How about "wrong-planetoid" , or "alien species" ( in the viewpoint of some people , including some of the media )
Not my personal preference of course.

I would just call myself "mentally challenged". Others on WP who've read my posts on other threads might agree with this one.

For a serious answer, I don't think I can beat Tuttle's suggestion of "ableism".

I'm looking for support here, not sarcasm, cynism or ridicule.

rapscallion
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2012, 5:46 pm

Antiotherism is a pleasant-sounding word.
But I am skeptical of playng armchair taxonomist. Someday the brain will be mapped and well understood. I doubt that many terms we use today about the brain will still be used 100 years from now.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

Chris71 wrote:
Quote:

That sounds like typical newspaper & media reporting to me. Maybe you watch too much "Hart van Nederland" on SBS6. ( every country has their dumbed-down news channels ).

i would agree too.i used to go on a lot of general disability forums but i dont do that anymore.i always got impression the people with physical disabilities didnt want us around

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 7:28 pm

I've had a lot of support of people from people with physical disabilities.

NoSpam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

How about "Neuro-bigotry?"

Your Aspie score: 147 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ Score: 39

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

I think there needs to be a term for a phobia of weird people. The closest I can think of is xenophobia.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2012, 9:33 am

Maybe we could take a vote on it?

Duncan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

On the social aspects of being a aspie.

Social exclusion/ isolation may work