Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2012, 6:21 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Whether you need a fast language depends on what you're doing with it. If what you're doing is simple enough, you could spend hours porting a program from one language to another and end up making something that takes 30 milliseconds take only 3 milliseconds.

That depend of how you define simple. If it's just a couple of lines of code calling some libraries, the libraries being written in C and compiled, the python interpreter will spend most time calling the c functions, and rewriting the code in c or c++ is using the libraries natively, will only take the time for the linker to load the symbols if they are shared. And in python it will take mostly the same time, neglecting the interpreter overhead. But if the whole functionality is reimplemented, it will probably be statically linked and be probably faster than ten times faster, because of cache.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

I'm not saying everyone needs a fast language, but porting Fortran to Python in order to optimize it probably won't be too successful :)

It's occurred to me that one of the more powerful projects I could do from a fiscal perspective would be to write a blazingly fast Python interpreter without a GIL.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

I'm learning how to use Java. Also know bits of Matlab too. I'm fairly new to this though.

mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2012, 8:32 am

I usually program with Java, C++, Ruby, Python, C# or PHP. I've also been programming in Haskell and Basic many years ago. I can also work with most modern databases.

I focus on web application development, and I know most of the usual stuff there too, even though they're not really programming languages: HTML 4.01/5, XHTML, XML, CSS 2.1/3, JavaScript. Also Dart if it's worth mentioning ;)

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

C++

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:42 pm

donryanocero wrote:
python, fortran, c++

We use fortran at school, apparently there is a ton of legacy code around and its been the target of the largest optimization project ever. I still haven't noticed much of a difference in speed between even python and fortran. Python is ridiculously easy, so I mostly use python.

Hey - try this: http://speed.pypy.org/

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

Perl, Python, and the rare rare rare Pascal.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

C programming, GTK2.xx(GUI programming), Awk, NASM(netwide assembler). I tinker with python, Sed, JS. I've tried a bunch of languages.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 9:07 pm

Currently, I use C, C#, SQL, vbscript, XML, and reading various micro-controller assembly languages via the C compiler output listings. Occasionally I use Java. Most of my undergrad used Ada. I've used many other languages over the years.

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 12:02 am

Java, but I have been messing around with scripting languages like python just for kicks!

CokaCola
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:23 am

Hmm, lets see here..
HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, C#, Java, Lua and a little C++...and also SQL if that counts.

You can find it here: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wrongplanet

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 11:07 pm

There are some windows only programs that use Delphi. For portable programs (which sometimes started out as Delphi) and for embedded processors I use C. For web pages Javascript (my least favorite). Used to do quite a bit of PIC assembly language but fortunately those days are gone.