Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:12 pm

Coffee Barbecue Sauce Recipe

Use this coffee barbecue sauce as a marinade or finishing sauce for grilled or baked pork, beef, or chicken. The sauce may be covered and refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup brewed espresso or strong, dark coffee
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 fresh hot chili peppers, such as jalapeno, or hotter if desired, seeded
2 Tablespoons hot dry mustard mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
Preparation:
Put espresso or coffee, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, chile peppers, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and chili powder in a small pot, stir them together, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat so the mixture is just simmering and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, let the mixture cool, then puree it in a blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade.

The barbecue sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

Coffee Butter Frosting Recipe

This coffee butter frosting goes with Spiced Coffee Sponge Cake, but feel free to use it with any other cake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup brewed hot 100% Colombian Coffee concentrate (1 cup ground coffee to 8 ounces cold water)
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt
3 egg yolks
1 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation:
Combine coffee, sugar, salt and egg yolks in bowl, beat by hand over simmering water until thickened. Beat by machine until cold. Beat in butter 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat in vanilla until thick enough to spread.

Use with Spiced Coffee Sponge Cake.

Yield: Enough to fill and frost two 8-inch layers or the top of a 9 x 13 sheetcake.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

Coffee and Cream Brownies Recipe

Coffee and cream cheese give rich flavor to brownies. The recipe uses a boxed brownie mix to save time, but you would never know it from the end result.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
1 (3 ounces) package cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs, divided use
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons instant coffee granules
1/4 cup warm water
1 (19.8 ounces) box family size brownie mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine cream cheese and butter; blend thoroughly. Add sugar and blend until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg and vanilla, then stir in flour and mix well. Set aside.

In medium bowl, dissolve coffee in water. Add brownie mix, remaining eggs, and vegetable oil; blend well. Pour half the batter into greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.

Drop cheese mixture by heaping tablespoons over brownie batter. Pour remaining batter over cheese mixture and gently swirl a butter knife through it to create a marbled effect. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Yield: 24 to 36 brownies, depending on cut size

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:15 pm

Coffee Ice Cream with Espresso Brittle Swirl Recipe

Homemade coffee ice cream has flecks of espresso brittle swirled throughout. It is simple to make, yet deliciously decadent.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients:
Coffee Ice Cream:
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1/2 cup coffee beans, roasted for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F and crushed
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
Espresso Brittle:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons espresso beans, crushed with a rolling pin or chopped in a food processor to medium-fine crumbs
1 oz. (2 Tablespoons) butter
Pinch salt
Preparation:
To Make Coffee Ice Cream:
In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and crushed coffee beans to just under a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand at least 1 hour for the beans to infuse their flavor. (You can make the espresso brittle while the beans steep.)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Pour the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking until well blended. Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly, enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and chill.

Freeze in an ice cream machine following the manufacturer's instructions. When frozen but still soft, transfer the ice cream to a stainless-steel bowl and swirl in the chopped brittle with a spatula. Cover the ice cream tightly with plastic wrap and freeze. Garnish with the remaining shards of brittle, when serving, if you like.

Yield: 1 quart

To Make Espresso Brittle:
Line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment and spray the parchment with nonstick cooking spray or grease it lightly.

In a medium heavy-based saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Heat over high heat, swirling the pot occasionally (don't stir it) for even color, until it turns light amber. Add the crushed espresso beans (don't worry if the sugar seems to foam), swirl them around in the caramel, and continue to cook until the caramel turns brown. Remove the pan from the heat.

Carefully whisk in the butter and salt (the butter will sputter). Immediately pour the brittle onto the prepared baking sheet, quickly tilting the baking sheet to get the brittle to flow into a thin layer (be careful -- the brittle is very hot). As it cools and slows down, use a metal spatula to spread it into an even thinner layer. Let cool. Chop two-thirds of the cooled brittle into small pieces by sealing it in a plastic bag and smashing it with a mallet or rolling pin. Sift the crumbs in a strainer if you don't want the powder. Break the remaining brittle into shards and use them to garnish bowls of the ice cream.

Yield: about 1 cup espresso brittle

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2012, 6:25 pm

OOOOoooooo could you please make me a chocolate cake...you know, the kind out of a box, where you just add an egg.....topped with your coffee butter frosting? No, wait, would it be too too decadent to have it on the coffee and cream brownies? I love coffee, and I love dessert...mmmmmm.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

Please post lots of pictures :x

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 8:25 am

http://earth911.com/news/2011/09/27/cof ... ld-record/

Coffee-Powered Car Breaks World Record

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 10:34 am

I love coffee for it's great laxative effects! Bet you didn't expect/want to hear that!

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:06 am

5 health reasons to not quit coffee

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/5 ... 60820.html

By Kerri-Ann Jennings, M.S., R.D., Associate Nutrition Editor at EatingWell Magazine

I really like coffee. The morning ritual of brewing a cup, the smell that perks me up before I take a sip and, of course, the flavor all make it my favorite beverage aside from water (water's delicious!). As a registered dietitian and a nutrition editor for EatingWell Magazine, I know that coffee is fine in moderation. It has lots of antioxidants and is low in calories if you don't load it up with cream and sugar. Nonetheless, I always feel slightly guilty about drinking it-you know, in a "it's so good, it must be bad" kind of way.

Which is why I'm always delighted to hear of new reasons that coffee is good for your health...and there are plenty! Over 18,000 studies on coffee have been published in the past few decades, revealing these benefits, many of which Joyce Hendley wrote about in the March/April issue of EatingWell Magazine:

1. It protects your heart: Moderate coffee drinkers (1 to 3 cups/day) have lower rates of stroke than noncoffee drinkers, an effect linked to coffee's antioxidants. Coffee has more antioxidants per serving than blueberries, making it the biggest source of antioxidants in American diets. All those antioxidants may help suppress the damaging effect of inflammation on arteries. Immediately after drinking it, coffee raises your blood pressure and heart rate, but over the long term, it actually may lower blood pressure as coffee's antioxidants activate nitric oxide, widening blood vessels.

2. It diverts diabetes: Those antioxidants (chlorogenic acid and quinides, specifically) play another role: boosting your cells' sensitivity to insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar. In fact, people who drink 4 or more cups of coffee each day may have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to some studies. Other studies have shown that caffeine can blunt the insulin-sensitivity boost, so if you do drink several cups a day, try mixing in decaf occasionally.

3. Your liver loves it: OK, so the research here is limited, but it looks like the more coffee people drink, the lower their incidence of cirrhosis and other liver diseases. One analysis of nine studies found that every 2-cup increase in daily coffee intake reduced liver cancer risk by 43 percent. Again, it's those antioxidants-chlorogenic and caffeic acids-and caffeine that might prevent liver inflammation and inhibit cancer cells.

4. It boosts your brain power: Drinking between 1 and 5 cups a day (admittedly a big range) may help reduce risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease, as well as Parkinson's disease, studies suggest. Those antioxidants may ward off brain cell damage and help the neurotransmitters involved in cognitive function to work better.

5. It helps your headaches: And not just the withdrawal headaches caused by skipping your daily dose of caffeine! Studies show that 200 milligrams of caffeine-about the amount in 16 ounces of brewed coffee-provides relief from headaches, including migraines. Exactly how caffeine relieves headaches isn't clear. But scientists do know that caffeine boosts the activity of brain cells, causing surrounding blood vessels to constrict. One theory is that this constriction helps to relieve the pressure that causes the pain, says Robert Shapiro, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor of neurology and director of the Headache Clinic at the University of Vermont Medical School.

Now, that's not to say that coffee doesn't have any pitfalls-it does. Some people are super-sensitive to caffeine and get jittery or anxious after drinking coffee; habitual coffee drinkers usually develop a tolerance to caffeine that eliminates this problem (but they then need the caffeine to be alert and ward off withdrawal headaches). Coffee can also disturb sleep, especially as people age. Cutting some of the caffeine and drinking it earlier in the day can curb this effect. Lastly, unfiltered coffee (like that made with a French press) can raise LDL cholesterol, so use a filter for heart health.

But if you like coffee and you can tolerate it well, enjoy it...without the guilt.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

I LOVE STRONG COFFEE... The watered down liquified mud water my family makes is sooo bad. They won't drink the kind I make, it's got flava! Thank goodness I got my own Moka Pot, no more sharing, and more flavor and effect for me! All mine eeehehehehe! *twitch