Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

Not sure what the word for this particular issue would be, but I'd be interested to know if others here have experienced this and how they've handled it.

To make it short - I had speech therapy when I was younger because I had trouble pronouncing my "ch" and "sh" sounds, but I was never diagnosed with any other speech-related issue. However, I have noticed within the past few years, that I've been asked to repeat myself more often because I apparently don't speak clearly or loud enough. (I also used to get comments about having a really nasal quality to my voice)

Where this gets frustrating is that when I've asked for feedback on why the other person couldn't understand what I'd just said, they are never able to give an answer........and because I hear myself speaking at a "normal" pitch and speed, there's not really a way for me to "correct" the problem. And if I try to slow down my speech and speak clearly, sometimes the other person takes it the wrong way and thinks I'm being rude. (my daughter's gotten annoyed with me over this before)

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

I have this too. And it's more noticeable now than it was say, 5 years ago.

I remember asking a friend a question last year and he said to speak to his wife. She couldn't understand me. At this point, I was getting rather frustrated and had to tell her to speak to him. She understood that, but not my original question. :?

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

I have the same problem.
Am thinking of going to a speech therapist.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

I have the same problem.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm

I have hypotonia and a thick tongue, which give a "slurring speech".
I really don't know why that is, but no matter how loud I talk, people don't really listen to me and cut me off. I don't have a little voice or whatever though. I've been told I lacked charisma but found it to be a weak argument. When someone speaks to me, I won't blank him because he is supposed to "lack charisma", this is plain rude.