The WrongPlanet Musicians' Prethread

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 3:25 am

Ok, I think I'm about ready to get this kicked off. I just threw 5 tracks up on a new MP3.com account and I'm waiting for them to clear my track selection and verify my artist name. This thread is for pretty much anyone who makes music and for whom that process and that emotional drive is a central current in their lives. For people who are passionate about making music, often times its a sizable part of their person and their identity that they really can't adequately share unless other people can hear it.

Don't worry about your skill level. It would be really interesting to hear what all of us, particularly with AS, have in terms of connection with music. If your proud of what you do and have a recording of it that you can stash online for a fairly long timespan we'd love to hear it. Preferably share your music in mp3 format, 128kbps or above. If you don't have a recording and want to make one it may be as easy as just getting a microphone set for your guitar or drums and running it into your computer and recording on a freeware sequencer, you'd be surprised how easy it all is. If you'd rather just stream your audio that's fine as well. Also I'd greatly appreciate if someone could stick this thread, hopefully there's enough other musicians who are interested in this and I'd like to see them catch the service they deserve as well.

Well, without further hesitation lets start the show :)

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 04 Dec 2006, 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 4:02 pm

Does using a programme called Hammerhead Rhythm Station count?

I can make 5 minute beats with no words in either circuit or linear format.

It takes me about 1-3 hours to make 1 track in one go.

I usually delete them, but if you want some of my music mixing you just let me know. :wink:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2006, 5:41 pm

Alternative wrote:
Does using a programme called Hammerhead Rhythm Station count?

I can make 5 minute beats with no words in either circuit or linear format.

It takes me about 1-3 hours to make 1 track in one go.

I usually delete them, but if you want some of my music mixing you just let me know. :wink:

If your about what you do or if you feel like conveys something have at it :). BTW, where's Scintillate on this one? I need all the help I can giving this a jump-start.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 8:21 am

Ok, as of right now I do have my mp3.com page up and running, only trouble is I went and gave 3 of the tracks a good 3dB bass boost. Because of that I'm still waiting for those to gain approval. Looks like they're pretty quick about things over there though so I have a feeling I could be giving you guys the link and the whole breakout on what's what by either later today or tomorrow. Anyway, cheers till then.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 10:59 am

I'll make the track, it won't take long. I just wanna know how you upload 1 on to here.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 11:58 am

Well, I mean do put something into it. Like all the tracks you've done up until this point - push yourself to do something above and beyond what you have in the past. Don't just slap it up here, be kinda anal about how it sounds or how the percussion rolls off. Not that I'd really care about skill level its just about you doing it for yourself so you can be proud of what your posting :).

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 10:45 am

Ok.

If the tracks gonna be really detailed, it'll take longer (much longer).

I haven't had enough time lately as I've been ill.

I'll PM you (at some point) when I've done a track.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 11:31 am

Thats fine, I'd still encourage ya to take your time with it. I'm really starting to guess that there's hardly any odds of this thread getting stuck just because the activity really isn't there :( , don't get me wrong I appreciate you replying but I was really expecting like 3 or 4 more people to chime in on this.

As for my page, I'm really guessing at this point that there really are people at mp3.com sitting there and listening to a track before its actually posted. Its the only reason I can think of why I got my tracks validated in one day between Thursday and Friday but a couple minor changes Friday night and they still haven't validated those. Odds are it will either be tomorrow or if they're really backed up from 3 days of new stuff to sift through it could be Tuesday for all I know.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 11:49 am

Ok, I also just went and changed the name of this thread. I think I just got an affirmative sign from someone that they're alright with me sticking a thread like this but what I think I'll have to do is start a new one, one with a bit more music and less dialog.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 12:22 pm

coool techstepgenr8tion. :wink:

Are you going to credit the music as yourself or exploit it or er..what? I don't mind.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 10:00 pm

Alternative wrote:
coool techstepgenr8tion. :wink:

Are you going to credit the music as yourself or exploit it or er..what? I don't mind.

Lol, yeah, I'm probably gonna use your stuff and other peoples on here to get signed to some independent future-polka label :wink: .

Nah, seriously... when you post your stuff post it as yours, tell people what it is, and that's it. Like I said I have 5 tracks on mp3.com (not exploited that I know of) that I'll be sharing in the next couple of days.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 2:27 am

Hey there!

Sorry I lost the net for a few weeks, which is why I haven't replied..

You've got one of my projects techstep, though I've remixed 2-3 of the tracks since that send.

I'd love to hear the tracks on mp3.com.. I thought of uploading some but was waiting for a site we're designing to get up and going. Whats the link for these 5 tracks?

However I'm always up for sharing, sound is my life.. Though I'm not sure my sound would be acceptable to many, in a professional sense, I think it has a certain.. spark.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 2:49 am

Scintillate wrote:
Hey there!

Sorry I lost the net for a few weeks, which is why I haven't replied..

You've got one of my projects techstep, though I've remixed 2-3 of the tracks since that send.

I'd love to hear the tracks on mp3.com.. I thought of uploading some but was waiting for a site we're designing to get up and going. Whats the link for these 5 tracks?

However I'm always up for sharing, sound is my life.. Though I'm not sure my sound would be acceptable to many, in a professional sense, I think it has a certain.. spark.

Cool cool. I'm just thinking, some email ads I've seen seem to offer huge amounts of webspace, like close to 100 MB of storage, when you sign up - can't remember who all it was. I know my parents got that when they set up an account with the ISP they have and they were nice enough to let me use it since they wouldn't have the need - the only downside is its about 10 MB and I just upload to it for my myspace background music and pictures on here. With your stuff you may want to just do that - maybe grab the best of what you think can fit on a FTP server. I'd actually say the same to Alternative and particularly if you guys are worried on possible piracy (mp3.com I'm crossing my fingers on) its probably not a bad idea.

Only downer is I wish I knew how to embed objects into threads themselves that were stream-only audio channels, it would be nice for sure. As for my stuff - grrr, still waiting till tomorrow or Tuesday. The reason I won't give out the link to my page is because only 2 of the 5 tracks are approved yet and I tend to feel that most people just check something once - my best three tracks are still pending IMO and I'd hate for people to miss em. Scintillate, as for what your concerned about with your stuff - just grab the tracks that you feel have you either putting your best foot forward in the professional sense or alternatively where you think you got passionate enough about what you were doing experimentally to where you think it'll get through to people. A lot of your stuff is good - its just a matter of sifting and finding what you think works best for you.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 3:15 am

hi,
i've got lots of stuff,
music is my second passion (or my first it does switch once in a while with painting i think)
but i wouldn't know how to share it, in an easy way i mean, and without too much things around it
and don't know whether people would be interested in it.

i tend to like dazzling things mixed with a beat, operalike things, party-atmosphere(i play trumpet) and weird voices (like muppets, evanescence, robert smith and nina simone mixed and so), not always in the same song but sometimes yes.
so maybe it's too strange for people , i don't know (my children love it and some friends can have it, but not at the point that anyone asked for recording it or so, but then again they never asked for a printout of my paintings either, i don't know ...)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 10:43 am

Well, if you have any of it recorded to tape or cd already its easy enough - from cd just rip it to mp3, from tape just get a free wav recording program like goldwave, plug the line out of the tape deck to the line in of your computer, and real-time record. Other than that, if you mean you'd actually have to sit down and record it I don't know what to say because you'd have to probably come up with a certain amount of money for at least a recording microphone of some type and an inexpensive sequencing program which can record multiple wav files in parallel and press them together - I'm thinking less than $100 if you play it right but I don't know for sure. In other words if you haven't recorded it, it would probably matter more whether you've really been wanting to.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 12:00 pm

i've got it in .wav and mp3 : the quality might not be 100 % and i don't know what it's worth but i can send it by mail or so, if you want to judge it (the mp3's are around or less than 1 Mb)