Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm

So another thread in the AAI subforum reminded me of a thought experiment I'd made before, about transgender people and how could they come to be accepted in general. I'll post it here because this thread usually has more visitants, besides, it gets lost if it doesn't have a thread of it's own.

Imagine you're in love with someone. If you actually are, then better yet, imagine that one person, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, whoever. Then, imagine that he or she was originally born into the opposite gender, but otherwise is the same person, with the same body and mannerisms and personality. And all the common experiences and stuff. Would you still want to be with that person?

I'm aware of some of the holes this experiment has. Honesty and trust issues would arise, because that person didn't tell you about it before, or faked a bunch of childhood memories if you're doing this with someone who actually exists and talked about such things, and those who have children would have no doubts that their partner was born the gender he is now but... let's ignore that and other such issues I may have overlooked, for the sake of purity.

The point of this experiment is, if you are attracted romantically towards a person, then does biological gender ultimately matter? To say my thoughts on the issue, I figured that if I felt attracted to a woman because of her personality and generally feminine behaviour and feminine body then, if that girl was a guy before it logically shouldn't really matter to me, and the "ick that's a guy!" factor wouldn't be really appropiate in that situation. So... what are your thoughts on that?

Oh and btw I don't suspect anything about anyone I know :lol:. It's just me liking to give tricky questions.

This seems to be the forum, although could PPR have been more appropiate?

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm

Although I wouldn't consider myself bi by any stretch of the imagination, I do have some "weird" thoughts about relationships. I would have no problem being in a strictly platonic relationship with the same gender, and *maybe* a non-platonic one with the opposite gender. So long as two people are there for each other. Then again, that's probably my aversion to the idea of a physical relationship talking. I've always preferred the idea of a joining of emotions than any physical stuff.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:19 pm

it is actually a fear of mine tht I will have sex with/ kiss/ date a transwoman. Ill admit I a intolerant when it comes to trans people.
So to answer ur question heck no :idea:

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:29 pm

I was going to mention why i wouldnt date a transgender person. Its purely physical, but not of how they are built alone. your body is but half of your physical self

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm

moved from Love & Dating to LGBT Discussion

Rhodry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

That a good question. I wish a had a good answer. In many, many years. I have felted it too. That I was me! But not me! For a moment so or so! I felted like I was the opposite sex. It felt real thou it only lasted a few seconds. I could fell it was me but not me had the same time! But until several years ago. I studied metaphysics.

Not to be metaphysical, but some say their are the best to call them are hair-line cracks in the reality. And its quite possible to enter them for a moment and see and feel your other you. So to speak of! Is that what you feel. Or is something else!

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 3:32 pm

I dunno, I'm bi so I wouldn't care. I would worry that the transitioning process will mess up the sex life (especially if they got bottom surgery) but I'd be glad to see them being more happy in themselves.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 8:21 pm

I can't find the web link but a few years back [maybe a decade?] in England, was this married man who got the sex change surgery to become a woman, and his loving wife stuck with him/her and it became a quasi-lesbian relationship then, at least in a physical sense. I think it was on "60 minutes." in any case, that magnanimity made me cry. :( such love and devotion is beyond verbal description. :o

former_hermit
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2013, 1:05 am

Interesting, but I don't think basing what rights other people have on what I personally find attractive is a good way to go about it.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2013, 7:22 am

former_hermit wrote:
Interesting, but I don't think basing what rights other people have on what I personally find attractive is a good way to go about it.

I love this! You said it perfectly. :)

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:39 am

Seems like I didn't explain it well enough, it was necroed from more than a year ago anyway :lol:

What I meant was, what if your current or imagined partner had been transgendered all along? Like he or she would be exactly the same as before, only you now know they used to look like their opposite sex at one point in their pasts.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:32 pm

I think it all boils down to the trust factor, like you mentioned. If I'm attracted to someone, I'm attracted to someone. I'm quite intuitive though so I'd be surprised if I dated someone for a period of time and NOT know. Then again, I'm sure it happens.

Trust is a big word.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:37 pm

Here's a thought experiment for you:

Imagine a world in which a man could choose to be transformed into a woman, including being given the natural woman's ability to reproduce as a natural woman. How many men would willingly choose to put up with all of the aspects of having a fully operational female reproductive system?

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

Fnord wrote:

Imagine a world in which a man could choose to be transformed into a woman, including being given the natural woman's ability to reproduce as a natural woman. How many men would willingly choose to put up with all of the aspects of having a fully operational female reproductive system?

My guess would be most trans men .. a dream come true (if not, ALL M-F).

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

Heck yeah! That would be awesome...

It's probably not that far away, either. Give it at most another couple of decade.

SnickieX
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

Fnord wrote:

*raises hand!* If for nothing else than the experience of a period, giving birth, and everything else that comes with being a woman. How happy or miserable I would be in a woman's body is inconsequential next to the pursuit of knowledge and experience. I think I can fairly confidently say I've experienced everything I wish to experience with a fully operational male reproductive system.

And if I was ever dating someone who was originally the opposite gender, either FtM or MtF trans, it wouldn't matter, but I would like to be told about it. What body parts a person has or doesn't have doesn't matter, it's only who they are that matters. (And looks to a degree of course, but I've found with the right personality, looks don't even matter nearly as much. I can find beauty in almost everyone.)