Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 9:44 pm

having worked in a hospital labor and delivery unit for over 2 decades, i can tell you that anybody who would wish to go through the travails of childbirth [when they don't really have to] is IMHO a little bit touched.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

Shatbat wrote:
Seems like I didn't explain it well enough, it was necroed from more than a year ago anyway :lol:

What I meant was, what if your current or imagined partner had been transgendered all along? Like he or she would be exactly the same as before, only you now know they used to look like their opposite sex at one point in their pasts.

I still do not understand what you mean. They are exactly the same as they were, except that they used to be different???

Can you spell it out in an example maybe, cos I'm just not getting it. Thanks :)

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:11 am

Ok, let's assume you have a husband. Or a boyfriend you really like. Imagine him. Now imagine that one day, he comes and tells you he used to be a woman before. But other than that new piece of knowledge, he is exactly the same as before. Would that change things? Should that change things?

I hope I'm clear enough this time, otherwise I utterly fail at being clear :lol:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:32 am

Shatbat wrote:
Ok, let's assume you have a husband. Or a boyfriend you really like. Imagine him. Now imagine that one day, he comes and tells you he used to be a woman before. But other than that new piece of knowledge, he is exactly the same as before. Would that change things? Should that change things?

I hope I'm clear enough this time, otherwise I utterly fail at being clear :lol:

Yes, thanks, your use of "before" is confusing, when you use it to mean two different things. Got it now though :wink:

Don't really have anything insightful to say, as I'm bi.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 3:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
having worked in a hospital labor and delivery unit for over 2 decades, i can tell you that anybody who would wish to go through the travails of childbirth [when they don't really have to] is IMHO a little bit touched.

You don't think much of mothers then, do you...? :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Magneto wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i have the utmost respect for mothers. i am talking about these various men who have spoken of their desire to go through the female experience of pregnancy and birth.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:41 pm

Correction: trans*women*. Not men. Anyway, why is it not odd for a female to be willing to undergo pregnancy, but it is for a male?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

Magneto wrote:
Correction: trans*women*. Not men. Anyway, why is it not odd for a female to be willing to undergo pregnancy, but it is for a male?

Because women kind of have to go through pregnancy in order to create life. Men just have to jizz in a vagina in order to create life. I have utmost respect for fathers, but they did get the easier deal in that regard and if I was a man, I'd be thankful for it.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 2:23 am

Women don't have to undergo birth anymore though, not in advanced countries... 8)

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 2:30 am

Magneto wrote:
Women don't have to undergo birth anymore though, not in advanced countries... 8)

Woah, women don't have to be born anymore? How progressive :wink:

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 9:49 am

I may be confused, but I'd say yes, but I'd condition it that there are many things to consider other than physical attributes.

Everything a partner changes and deals with has an effect on the relation not only with myself but with others.

Here in the US, If your partner is trans, and also serves in the military, and that's a source of employment, being trans means instant administrative separation and loss of said employment. If your religion is intolerant, you then have to factor in having to deal with that whether it's. Suddenly someone you love that comes out that they are trans, and family and friends aren't so family and friendly. Any of these factors and more could actually weigh in and be more than the love someone places on another and break the relationship.

I'd like to say that I'd stick it out with my significant other, but then again, I don't have a significant other so I have no idea.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

SnickieX
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2013, 9:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Magneto wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i have the utmost respect for mothers. i am talking about these various men who have spoken of their desire to go through the female experience of pregnancy and birth.

To have the experience of motherhood? That kind of attachment to another human being? To experience being pregnant not from my male point of view but from a womans point of view? To possibly be able to see just why some mothers are so incapable of such attachment? All I've ever heard about women when they're pregnant is one thing: "They're a PITA" I rather wish to experience what they're feeling, so I know what it's like.

Which is one experience with multiple multiplicities I will never be able to fathom or feel. (Funny how math can apply to EVERY SINGLE part of life. -.-)

puddingmouse wrote:
Because women kind of have to go through pregnancy in order to create life. Men just have to jizz in a vagina in order to create life. I have utmost respect for fathers, but they did get the easier deal in that regard and if I was a man, I'd be thankful for it.

It appalls me as to how many men won't raise their child, and instead run from that responsibility. We get the easy option, you on the other hand get no easy option.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:33 am

^ Yeah, men usually have the option whether to be a father (in the sense of acting like a parent) when they get a woman pregnant. Sometimes they want to be a father but aren't allowed to be involved much in the child's life (either because the mother pushes them away, or because they come from a society where they're expected to be distant from their children - i.e. being a Japanese salaryman or a babyfather in some cultures.)

Provided they couple with the right woman, Western men are pretty privileged to have the option of being very involved in the children's lives if they want to be. They're not the only culture that allows this and there are still improvements to be made (like changing social attitudes and increasing paternity leave,) but it's still a privilege.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:35 am

Magneto wrote:

If she wants to have her own children, childbirth is still expected. People are very judgmental about women even having epidurals, never mind having elective Caesareans. The current fashion (backed up by social expectation) in my country is to give birth with as little medical intervention as possible. I would get a lot of s**t for having an elective Caesarean if I was going to have a baby.

SnickieX
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2013, 5:10 am

puddingmouse wrote:
Magneto wrote:

If she wants to have her own children, childbirth is still expected. People are very judgmental about women even having epidurals, never mind having elective Caesareans. The current fashion (backed up by social expectation) in my country is to give birth with as little medical intervention as possible. I would get a lot of sh** for having an elective Caesarean if I was going to have a baby.

The bad things I see about C-sections/epidurals are the side effects and after effects. But this is rather like abortions and what someone pointed out to me one day. I have as much right to tell you whether or not you can get a C-section/epidural (Or abortion in her original point) as you do to tell me whether or not I can get cigarettes. XD However there are social...norms(?) and C-sections/epidurals would be breaking those social norms. :|

And as for fatherhood being a privilege, I agree. And on that note I personally would go so far as to argue motherhood is a privilege, equally with fatherhood, and both can be taken away, completely if need be due to the state/court system.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 5:45 pm

there really needs to be a parenthood curriculum in public/private schools, mandatory attendance for all students. it is just as important as sex ed.