Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:15 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
You need to seek out a seat close to a window(inside position of the seat not on the outside).
TheSunAlsoRises

Window seats are great, until someone sits next to you...

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
You need to seek out a seat close to a window(inside position of the seat not on the outside).
TheSunAlsoRises

You're exactly right. Other factors include size of the person (if they are crowding your personal space), perfume/soap/deodorant(smells), sound(the turning of a newspaper, sounds from their headphones, etc), communicating with others around you( you don't have freedom to move so the sound engulfs you), many many more factors BUT a good pair of headphones along with..looking out the window and being lost in your favorite music, helps.

TheSunAlsoRises

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 6:31 am

MightyMorphin wrote:
They don't prescribe Valium anymore. At least very very rarely anyway. It's only really used in mental hospitals now.

More than 3.5 million prescriptions are made per year in England alone. More than 11% of adult Irish medical card holders have a benzodiazepine prescription, the most common being Valium (500,550 prescriptions per year) and Xanax (432,000).

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:53 pm

StuartN wrote:
More than 3.5 million prescriptions are made per year in England alone. More than 11% of adult Irish medical card holders have a benzodiazepine prescription, the most common being Valium (500,550 prescriptions per year) and Xanax (432,000).

Alprazolam (Xanax) is listed in my British National Formulary book as non-NHS. Although I haven't got the latest copy.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises

Usually when there's a perfectly good seat behind you. :roll:

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2012, 3:41 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I had a panic attack on the bus because there was a screaming baby on the bus (beyond what my headphones could block out) and people kept bumping into me as it was busy.

Has anyone else had panic attacks on public transport? This happens to me a lot.

Has anyone got any advice to help with future situations? Because I can't drive so I rely on public transport to get anywhere more than 3-4 miles away (3-4 miles I will walk).

I freaked out when I went on a metro train. I tried to run but my dad grabbed me and dragged me onto it crying and screaming. I dont have advice to offer as it I still have panic attacks with public transporation.

SHEILD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

I have panic disorder as well as asperger's (yay me) so I have panic attacks almost regularly.

I was really new to taking the bus to school and I was just starting high school when I had an attack -it was a real mess. Anyhow, I had an episode and I managed to borrow someone's phone and call my mom. She said she'd come get me so I got off the bus. Fortunately one of the riders knew me and he got off and stood with me until my mom came (which was really nice of him because he was on his way to work). It was dark out because I live in Canada and it was October and so even though it was seven thirty the sun was still just coming up.

To stop sight specific anxiety it's good to have a plan.

1. What can I do/where can I go to feel safe? If I have an attack I know I can go to ____. Sometimes just knowing there's a safe place helps get you through.
2. Panic attacks will end. In the heat of it it doesn't feel like it, but they will. Sometimes I've had to force myself to sit through it.
3. Bring something with you. You mentioned you had headphones -do you have a hand-held game like a DS or a game on your phone? Perhaps a book?