Could I have had AS and grown out of it???

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Zenith1226
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2012, 1:09 am

I am 43 and my 16 year old son has been diagnosed AS.

But I know how he thinks and feels because I was the same way. But after 20, I changed quite a bit. Still have some symptoms though. Is this possible?

Maybe I am still AS but very social?

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:13 am

You don't "grow out" of AS, although some people learn to deal with their symptoms, and can live a rather average life. It depends on the individual, although they're more likely than not to live a difficult life compared to the "average" person.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:19 am

It's been said by some that people who are above-averagely introverted but not necessarily autistic, can have autistic children- though that's unlikely to be the sole contributor in those cases.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with sources, honestly this is mostly from other people I've heard speak on the subject.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 6:14 am

The way your life will develop depends largely on you. I think those with higher IQs can compensate better since they have more mental power to spare than those with only average intelligence. Plus, if you had a good experience growing up without being around overly critical people all the time it may have been easier to learn to cope than for someone who had a different experience. In the end, every person is different. The way their life turns out is dependent on the mix of their neurological wiring and their environment.

As to whether or not you can grow out of it? No. You will always have it if you do. However, you may well have learned to cope and deal with life well enough that it no longer presents itself as a significant impairment, especially if your ASD traits were mild to begin with.