getting a gf and making friends is impossible

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:34 pm

So I've noticed i've been getting more positive reactions from people lately for some reason.. people arent looking at me like a freak or a loser....
Today at shoprite I had a long conversation wit ha 30-50 yr old woman about the lottery(2 women in fact )
but the main thing this thread is about is that I graduated college today. I took my final exam in one of my classes, and this girl and I finished at the same time....and she is a very attractive girl. So, I've been trying to really work on my social skills and strike up convos with strangers without being a creep or awkward aspie. So I asked her how she did(we have nvr spoken before).
She and I talked all the way to our cars and then talked alittle int he parking lot...when someone else from our class(who ive never spoken to but she has) asked us how we did.....and we talked about our majors, our jobs, powerball lottery...

anyway, we parted our ways, and I will never see them again..this s**t always happens in college....I never make friends...and the sad thing is I've never had a gf, and wanted desperately to as for her number.....I know being friendly doesnt mean she likes me...but an alpha male would have just said screw it and asked.

im gonna call some aspergers groups tomorrow.....now that im done with school I am socially isolated...so it's bittersweet.
oh and i lost the lottery :p

btw why wasnt the forum working just now for me?

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:27 am

This forum has been known to glitch in the past. I thought they worked everything out, though.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

no replies on what i said...sigh

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:48 am

You didnt really specify what kind of replies you were expecting to(Most people post a question, your question was why isnt the site working).

One tip that can be helpful for gathering the courage to ask a woman is to make a point to ask all sort of people things. Cant find something at your local supermarket(ask an employee),cant find a street (ask someone), nothing to ask about talk to that old man on the street about how the day looks great/awfull/whatever.
That way it will seem normal to ask a girl for a coffee after the exam for example(much likelier to accept than to give you her number).

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

yaht thts what ive been doing..tht was actually the point of this post i started the convo with her...and we talked for 15-20 mins...it seems though that it will be impossible for me to mae friends though..ive even talked to people in line at mcdonalds who could be potential friends..but noone is looking for friendships in the market or at mcdonalds!
i hope i meet some cool people at the aspie group who arent too high on the spectrum..im pretty mild.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:49 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
So I've noticed i've been getting more positive reactions from people lately for some reason.. people arent looking at me like a freak or a loser....
Today at shoprite I had a long conversation wit ha 30-50 yr old woman about the lottery(2 women in fact )
but the main thing this thread is about is that I graduated college today. I took my final exam in one of my classes, and this girl and I finished at the same time....and she is a very attractive girl. So, I've been trying to really work on my social skills and strike up convos with strangers without being a creep or awkward aspie. So I asked her how she did(we have nvr spoken before).
She and I talked all the way to our cars and then talked alittle int he parking lot...when someone else from our class(who ive never spoken to but she has) asked us how we did.....and we talked about our majors, our jobs, powerball lottery...

anyway, we parted our ways, and I will never see them again..this sh** always happens in college....I never make friends...and the sad thing is I've never had a gf, and wanted desperately to as for her number.....I know being friendly doesnt mean she likes me...but an alpha male would have just said screw it and asked.

im gonna call some aspergers groups tomorrow.....now that im done with school I am socially isolated...so it's bittersweet.

btw why wasnt the forum working just now for me?

Same thing happened to me just this past week. I was at a restaurant in Monticello, New York (a roadside kind of place) and there was this cute girl who was the cashier. Sadly, I'm not trained to ask a girl out like that, but I know how you feel.

To add insult to injury this girl was as cute as anything and seemed very bubbly. And I like bubbly girls, as long as they aren't drunks.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

Congratulations on the successful conversation-
the Aspergers groups sound like a great idea. :)

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 16 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 4:01 pm

thanks ..meh i looked at the site for the aspergers groups and it says they meet one time per month..im really looking for some where i can meet people open to friendships and girls looking for bfs...ive had 0 luck on okcupid or pof lol. I would llike a weekly meetup group..

the reason i have made this thread is that..even though i have been socializing with strangers...ill never make friends because who asks a stranger to hang out..especially if it;s two guys lol i would appear gay lol...and I dont have the guts to ask girls out unless they beg me too which usually doesnt happen.

I used to hang out with a bunch of people from social anxiety support forum, but they began to hate me lol.
I also haven't found anything I liked from meetups.com

i sut dont want to be 25 and still nvr have had a gf.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

It takes an enormous effort to force yourself to be social often enough to make gains. And you are not going to be very good at it for a long time. But you are at the ideal age to start the slog. That's when I started anyway.

With a serious effort you'll look back in five years and be amazed at the difference.

WalkingTheDog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2012, 5:35 pm

OP:

don't get down on yourself for not having friends. I think you did a great job talking to people, especially the girl (because we all know that's hard). Keep putting yourself out there and I'm confident you'll have successful encounters.

ItalianStallion1119
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2012, 1:05 am

wtfid2 wrote:

anyway, we parted our ways, and I will never see them again..this sh** always happens in college....I never make friends...and the sad thing is I've never had a gf, and wanted desperately to as for her number.....I know being friendly doesnt mean she likes me...but an alpha male would have just said screw it and asked.

You must be related to me...this is exactly the same scenario that happened to me last semester. Only difference is it was one of the last classes and she prompted to talk to me outside and said I was funny, because I was being sarcastic to our joke of a teacher. Same thing tho...we talked to the car and I left it at that and never asked for her number...but I didn't talk for 15-20 minutes...that's pretty good in your case, because it means you can hold a conversation.

All I can say is kudos for talking to her...no matter what it's about at least you attempted it. Like me though, you have trouble with the notion that your aren't comfortable or will make her feel uncomfortable if you ask, which would label you a creep. All I can say as I can relate totally to you man...if you wanna keep in touch on WP, in case one of us makes a breakthrough, that would be cool because I want to find the answer as well.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

ItalianStallion1119 wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

You must be related to me...this is exactly the same scenario that happened to me last semester. Only difference is it was one of the last classes and she prompted to talk to me outside and said I was funny, because I was being sarcastic to our joke of a teacher. Same thing tho...we talked to the car and I left it at that and never asked for her number...but I didn't talk for 15-20 minutes...that's pretty good in your case, because it means you can hold a conversation.

All I can say is kudos for talking to her...no matter what it's about at least you attempted it. Like me though, you have trouble with the notion that your aren't comfortable or will make her feel uncomfortable if you ask, which would label you a creep. All I can say as I can relate totally to you man...if you wanna keep in touch on WP, in case one of us makes a breakthrough, that would be cool because I want to find the answer as well.
yah im up for keeping in touch. Idk if I really properly expressed the whole motivation for starting this thread. It wil be very difficult for me to attain a gf or friends bc even if I am mildly aspergic (LOL), the only places I go are the supermaret, mcdonalds, and that's it. I use to go to school, but now I'm done! My sister is embarrassed of me and won't tae me out to socialize...I've tried asking her, and she betrays me every time.

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

wtfid2 wrote:
ItalianStallion1119 wrote:
wtfid2 wrote:

yah im up for keeping in touch. Idk if I really properly expressed the whole motivation for starting this thread. It wil be very difficult for me to attain a gf or friends bc even if I am mildly aspergic (LOL), the only places I go are the supermaret, mcdonalds, and that's it. I use to go to school, but now I'm done! My sister is embarrassed of me and won't tae me out to socialize...I've tried asking her, and she betrays me every time.
I also wanted to add...that I ddint talk to this girl bc I found her hot(although i sure as hell did lol). I talked to her bc she and I both were leaving the class and I saw her as another person for me to practice socializing with.
I really have no idea what it is about me that has made me a nearly 23 yr old kissless virgin, as my aspies is minimal.

man the quote feature on this forum sucks..it starts your typing in the mid of the quote..moderators should fix this.

ItalianStallion1119

18 Aug 2012, 12:47 am

Quote:
I also wanted to add...that I ddint talk to this girl bc I found her hot(although i sure as hell did lol). I talked to her bc she and I both were leaving the class and I saw her as another person for me to practice socializing with.
I really have no idea what it is about me that has made me a nearly 23 yr old kissless virgin, as my aspies is minimal.

Yeah man once again I do the same thing...you know a couple times I would get my test done first and then pretend to check it over until the girl I wanted to talk to got done so I would make it look like a coincidence. But yeah practicing will definitely help. It sucks though when your telling yourself to just go for it and then you just don't...it also is hard when you've been in class the whole semester with the girl and you are just talking to her now. That's the part that makes it seem super awkward to all of a sudden ask for her number.

Moving forward, your just gonna have to find some hobby that will allow you to meet people or if your guy friends have better luck with girls, just start to hang out and do things with them...meeting someone through them is a possibility. Hang in there man, I'm hoping to make progress to. Shoot me a PM whenever you feel like it.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 1:07 am

Your problem is you're afraid of getting rejected and you're afraid your ego is going to be shattered. Before you do ANYTHING, you need to change your frame. Stop telling yourself stupid sh** like "getting a gf and making friends is impossible". The more you say that to yourself, the more it becomes true because it will vibe off of yourself. The mind is a very powerful thing. Toss the baggage to the curb and start telling yourself positive things about yourself.

From what you're telling me, it doesn't seem like you have a problem connecting with people. In fact, you connect very well. However, most people, especially women, are passive by nature. That means if you want to make new friends or get a girlfriend especially, you need to take charge. You need to take the risk of getting shot down because with greater risk comes greater rewards. All these excuses you are making, such as "noone is looking for friendships in the market or at mcdonalds", are all in your head. Hell, people hook up on the SIDEWALK all the time.

Make a commitment to yourself that you will ask every person that you talk to for a good amount of time if they would like to hang out later. If they say yes, great. If they say no, no big deal. Would you want to hang out with them anyways if they don't feel like you're worth the time? The truth is they're not worth YOUR time if they don't want to hang out.

JKDavitz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2012, 9:58 pm

This is the EXACT problem that im running into. I just transferred to a university, and just cant seem to make any social progress. it scares me s**tless and frustrates me to no end :x What do i do?