Everyone ELSE are liars, but WE'RE the suspects???

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

melissajean
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2012, 10:48 am

YES!! ! I have come to believe this is true... most other people(NTs) are consummate liars and that's why their lives are so much easier. It does greatly anger me because people should be honest with each other. When I try to lie I ALWAYS get caught because it's just not in my DNA to be a liar. It makes it hard to want to even be in this world when the majority of people are so deceptive and manipulative. I guess the only way to deal with it is to not put too mustock into what anyone says and just gauge things for yourself. I find this makes life a little easier but it can still cause you to lament the fact that people in general aren't very decent.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

Even infants lie. They know how to manipulate at a very young age. My nephew will start to scream when he would see a toy my son had and my mother would see him with a toy and think he took it from him. So she put him in time out and then my nephew would be looking at him and smiling and laughing. My mom would realize she was tricked. My son doesn't even do this but he has done other manipulation. He will start screaming and crying and then I pick him up and he looks normal again. If it was all genuine, his eyes would be all watery and he still be sniffling. I have seen both so I learned the difference.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

It may be that everyone else lies and cheats, but it doesn't help me at least to tell myself that things are other peoples' fault. It doesn't help in the long run to say everythings my own fault, but it does help in the short run so that i can get up and say, ok weeny, you screwed up now its time to fix it.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

Because they are also better liars.

There is no penalty for lying, only for lying poorly. :roll:

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 8:53 pm

nrau wrote:
Seriously, I don't know where this "honest autist" stereotype comes from.

I don't think it's a stereotype. Just look at these forums, they're plastered with blatant truths. :-) Seriously, aspies tend to not see the point of lying. And they're right - except for surviving in a world where everyone lies, lying has no added value.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 2:55 am

Moondust wrote:
Ever since I discovered this, in my forties, and started lying remorselessly each time I have a chance to get my way if I lie, my life improved tremendously and I have a sense of power and freedom I had never even suspected existed. Eg: I've discovered that if I tell the same story to all the people who are influential in it, but different versions (lies) to each, I cause a misinformation situation by which I can get away with what I want from the story, with flying colors. I learned this from observing NTs do it to me. All this causes me to have no respect for humans, just use them as tools.

Could you explain this example a little better? What do you mean telling different stories to different people and misinformation? Be a bit more specific.

Also, even if everyone else does it and doesn't care, since you're actually cognizant of what you're doing (and it's unnatural to you) can't you help but feel like a tool when you act like them?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 6:07 am

The moral of "The boy who cried wolf" story is: If you're going to lie all the time, don't keep telling the same lie.

The boy in that story is an idiot because he kept telling the exact same lie and expecting people to believe it. He should've thought of some different lies to tell people.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 6:33 am

My daughter can't lie, or embelish the truth, at all. If I'm not convinced that she's telling the complete truth, I only need to say, 'Is that true?' and she says, 'No, it didn't really happen'. She doesn't do it very often, because she knows there's no point in trying.

I have a worry about a child in her class, who is a habitual and convincing liar. He has said false things to the teacher about my daughter (and others) doing X or Y and the teacher believed him. He tells fibs about having an older brother and living in a flat, etc. We live very near to him, so my daughter knows a lot of what he says is just not true. A lot of this sounds like he's a Walter Mitty character, but some of his lies have been dangerous and he's also been involved in a very serious incident, so serious that several parents, including myself, have told their children to keep back from him. So, he's definitely one to watch out for. However, until this morning I thought he had a very pronounced stutter. But, my daughter told me she can tell when he's lying. She imitated his stutter and said that he talks like that when he's lying and he did not usually speak like that. This knowledge will be of great benefit, I'm sure. They've jut got some new teachers, so we'll see if they're taken in by him.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 1:56 am

piroflip wrote:

Well one thing is for sure, all top ranked politicians are liars.
We had a General Election in the UK a couple of years ago and ALL election "promises" were promptly dropped as soon as the incoming bunch of liars took over from the outgoing bunch of liars.

Precisely - same here in the US of course. I don't know why anybody votes.... can't they see through this stuff? I saw it before I was old enough to vote, and I didn't get it from my parents - they were both voters.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 2:04 am

Pyrite wrote:
Because they are also better liars.

There is no penalty for lying, only for lying poorly. :roll:

So true!

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 2:05 am

Venger wrote:
The moral of "The boy who cried wolf" story is: If you're going to lie all the time, don't keep telling the same lie.

The boy in that story is an idiot because he kept telling the exact same lie and expecting people to believe it. He should've thought of some different lies to tell people.

I never thought of it that way - brilliant!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 9:49 am

Venger wrote:

Some teachers and grown ups even use that story to little kids to teach them about lying or joking because if they keep on doing it, no one will believe them.

With me, if someone lies a few times, even if it's about different stuff, I stop believing them and I question everything they say. It doesn't have to be a intentional lie either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.