Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

meems
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,869

19 Aug 2012, 8:53 am

Fnord and company - attempting to get Ebay to enforce higher standards for what can be auctioned on their website. Not hurting anyone, could be considered helpful in many ways.


I can see how that could be compared to murdering people for not doing Islam your way. If you are... well, under the impression that Islam is a website on which you can auction your personal belongings, and you think murder is what it's called when the rules of the site are changed in order to better serve the users of that site.

IS THAT WHAT YOU GUYS MEANT?



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:01 am

meems wrote:
Fnord and company - attempting to get Ebay to enforce higher standards for what can be auctioned on their website. Not hurting anyone, could be considered helpful in many ways.


I can see how that could be compared to murdering people for not doing Islam your way. If you are... well, under the impression that Islam is a website on which you can auction your personal belongings, and you think murder is what it's called when the rules of the site are changed in order to better serve the users of that site.

IS THAT WHAT YOU GUYS MEANT?


Oh, NOW I GET IT


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2012
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 91

19 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

Vigilans wrote:
It seems the best these tools can do is insult people, make absurd comparisons


Really? Have you read your own replies?

Sorry, fnord isn't like the taliban because he aint got a gun, sorry, my mistake, you're so right vigilans..... Cuz that's all that they're about right? You take his analogy in the way that suits you and then rip it yeah? What a very strange way you interpret your world in... You're picking apart the wrong parts of his analogy for atheists being like the taliban, to suit your own needs obviously. Forget interpreting his statement the way it was intended, that would be too much like listening to what someone said, right?

The taliban control and force the world to be the way they think it should be, militant atheists like fnord control and force the world to be the way they think it should be. There, is that so hard to understand?

Obviously it's all abstract nonsense, every bit of it, religion is nonsense, anti religion is just as much nonsense, if you really don't believe in religion you should simply stop thinking about it and get on with your life. After all, devoting your life to religion because you believe is one thing, devoting your life to religion when you don't believe is absolutely absurd.

To those people that need a crutch, who the f**k are you to try and sweep it away? They NEED it, they're weak, leave them be ffs. Lifes pointless and people do what they need to get by. Trying to rid the world of religion is just your crutch, except at least religion gives something back, what do you give back by taking it from the world? Nowt but the misery that lives in your own heart, thanks but no thanks.

btw, "ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool"



meems
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,869

19 Aug 2012, 9:09 am

Now if I could just figure out what the rest of us Atheists had to do with it all...



hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,301

19 Aug 2012, 9:11 am

Isn't false advertising illegal? People shouldn't be allowed to sell fake stuff that doesn't work.



FMX
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,319

19 Aug 2012, 9:13 am

Fnord wrote:
The Skeptics group I'm in has scored a major victory: eBay has banned the sale of magic spells and potions!


Sorry to rain on your parade, but it is highly unlikely that eBay's decision had anything to do with your group. According to http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... es-spells/

Quote:
We are discontinuing a small number of categories within the larger metaphysical subcategory, as buyers and sellers have told us that transactions in these categories often result in issues that can be difficult to resolve.


While that's a bit vague I think it's a fair guess that such items simply added a lot of administrative overhead for eBay in dealing with all the complaints and that overhead probably exceeded the profit they made from the items. It would have been a simple cost-benefit decision for them. They are not making any kind of value judgement on the items.

In my opinion, they are wise not to. It's just a slippery slope and knowing where to draw the line would be very difficult. What % chances of working does a product need to have in order to be allowed? Who would undertake the research and make the decision about what works and what doesn't? It sounds like a good idea at first, but it's just not workable when taken to its logical conclusion.



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:13 am

Big_cheese wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
It seems the best these tools can do is insult people, make absurd comparisons


Really? Have you read your own replies?

Sorry, fnord isn't like the taliban because he aint got a gun, sorry, my mistake, you're so right vigilans..... Cuz that's all that they're about right? You take his analogy in the way that suits you and then rip it yeah? What a very strange way you interpret your world in... You're picking apart the wrong parts of his analogy for atheists being like the taliban, to suit your own needs obviously. Forget interpreting his statement the way it was intended, that would be too much like listening to what someone said, right?

The taliban control and force the world to be the way they think it should be, militant atheists like fnord control and force the world to be the way they think it should be. There, is that so hard to understand?

Obviously it's all abstract nonsense, every bit of it, religion is nonsense, anti religion is just as much nonsense, if you really don't believe in religion you should simply stop thinking about it and get on with your life. After all, devoting your life to religion because you believe is one thing, devoting your life to religion when you don't believe is absolutely absurd.

To those people that need a crutch, who the f**k are you to try and sweep it away? They NEED it, they're weak, leave them be ffs. Lifes pointless and people do what they need to get by. Trying to rid the world of religion is just your crutch, except at least religion gives something back, what do you give back by taking it from the world? Nowt but the misery that lives in your own heart, thanks but no thanks.

btw, "ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool"


Repeating falsehoods does not infer any more validity to them. You are utterly wrong, presumptuous and the grammar of your response is giving me a headache. I'd also love to know what this has to do with atheism, since the first person to bring it up was GoonSquad. Don't let me stop you from continuing with this Taliban absurdity though, I need a good laugh this morning. You and GoonSquad have both made sweeping statements denigrating entire groups and you ask me to "read my own replies"?


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

hanyo wrote:
Isn't false advertising illegal? People shouldn't be allowed to sell fake stuff that doesn't work.


You must be a Taliban, you intolerant skeptical atheist muslim. Stop forcing your values on everyone!! !


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2012
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 91

19 Aug 2012, 9:29 am

Vigilans wrote:
Repeating falsehoods does not infer any more validity to them. You are utterly wrong, presumptuous and the grammar of your response is giving me a headache. I'd also love to know what this has to do with atheism, since the first person to bring it up was GoonSquad. Don't let me stop you from continuing with this Taliban absurdity though, I need a good laugh this morning. You and GoonSquad have both made sweeping statements denigrating entire groups and you ask me to "read my own replies"?


ha, i very nearly said that the next thing you'd do is mention grammar. You sink lower and lower. That headache is from being wrong. Stop forcing your opinions on other people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9s9vmrJkV8[/youtube]



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:30 am

Big_cheese wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Repeating falsehoods does not infer any more validity to them. You are utterly wrong, presumptuous and the grammar of your response is giving me a headache. I'd also love to know what this has to do with atheism, since the first person to bring it up was GoonSquad. Don't let me stop you from continuing with this Taliban absurdity though, I need a good laugh this morning. You and GoonSquad have both made sweeping statements denigrating entire groups and you ask me to "read my own replies"?


ha, i very nearly said that the next thing you'd do is mention grammar. You sink lower and lower. That headache is from being wrong. Stop forcing your opinions on other people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9s9vmrJkV8[/youtube]


I see you have no actual arguments to offer, much like GoonSquad. Feeling silly now?

Neither of you bothered to answer any of my questions. You're both dishonest. Look in the mirror before you talk about forcing opinion. You won't even back anything up, lump all your opponents together, mention outside parties that have nothing to do with this- its pathetic really. What a joke you guys are

btw I don't care much if words are misspelled but if you are going to structure your statements so poorly don't expect me to take you seriously


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


Last edited by Vigilans on 19 Aug 2012, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2012
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 91

19 Aug 2012, 9:31 am

:D



Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

Big_cheese wrote:
:D


That's what I thought. You've got nothing.


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,181
Location: Montreal

19 Aug 2012, 9:34 am

Come on Big_cheese, I'm looking for a good laugh. Please tell me more about atheists, the Taliban and skeptics, I'm thoroughly enjoying your ignorance


_________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
Nature creates few men brave, industry and training makes many -Machiavelli
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,658
Location: The Oort Cloud

19 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

hanyo wrote:
Isn't false advertising illegal? People shouldn't be allowed to sell fake stuff that doesn't work.


Yes and no.

The entire "supplement" and "super food" industry is based around dubious claims.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,546
Location: Stendec

19 Aug 2012, 11:36 am

Big_cheese wrote:
They're the same because they form their opinions and then force them on other people. There, done, explained. Happy?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

For the record, I never forced my opinions on anyone. I have, however, tried to present fact-based arguments that are devoid of assumption, bigotry, emotionalism, and hyperbole. It is up to others to choose to act (or not) and what those actions will be. eBay simply made the correct choice after they took the time to look at what was really going on -- people were exploiting the fears and ignorance of the masses for personal financial gain.

Also, for the record, I am not an Atheist.

Yes, I am on a crusade. There is far too much subjective rationalism being taught in public schools, and I believe that this results in people avoiding science and engineering careers later in life. While they may have learned to argue endlessly against reality, their contentious behavior may be a leading cause of impeded progress in industry and commerce -- it's hard to form a cohesive and progressive research team when the majority of candidates seem hell-bent on telling others why their ideas shouldn't work, when it takes only one simple demonstration of an "impossible" idea to prove the detractors wrong.

Unfortunately, these nay-sayers seem to fill out the ranks of decision-makers; and the end result of that is an abundance of megacorporations sitting on their assets and refusing to listen to new ideas and put people to work on cutting-edge technology projects.

Oh yes, we have our iPads and our X-Boxes and all of our other high-tech toys, but that's all they really are -- toys -- things we buy to keep us occupied with ourselves while we ignore global starvation and other disasters, which could easily be solved if more people would pursue science and engineering careers instead of giving up on education altogether in favor of a faith-based existence, and inhibiting research into processes and products that could feed and immunize millions -- perhaps billions -- of needy people worldwide.

I am trying to become the change that I wish to see in the world, instead of sitting on the sidelines, calling people names, and complaining that nothing ever gets done.

Vigilans wrote:
It seems the best these tools can do is insult people, make absurd comparisons to extremist religious organizations and play straw man generator by somehow blaming atheism. Along with simply repeating the same BS when questioned about it. If anyone is curious as to what sort of people defend alternative medicine practices- check out this thread. Fnord's case is basically made for him and all he had to do was post once

Amen.

A man is known as much by the enemies he makes as the company he keeps.


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2012
Age: 119
Gender: Male
Posts: 91

19 Aug 2012, 11:56 am

"Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense."