Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:10 am

anyone do it?

I noticed that I do when im driving, when driving I become hyper-focused so I dont do any of my normal stims I just start grinding my teeth.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:12 am

Urgh, no. The sensation of my teeth grinding together is extremely uncomfortable.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2012, 6:20 am

I do it, weirdly I often do it when I am very hungry but haven't noticed. I have a great aunt who has severe dementia and she does it too.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 7:38 am

Yes it is definately a stim. Some autistics actually grind their teeth away.
I do it but not too hard, also do a number of other oral motor stims - mouthing anything and everything.
Biting my lip in a certain peculiar way. Pulling my lip, biting nails. Tonguing my mouth.
Its very hard to stop so I try to turn it into something less obviously weird that is hard to do too.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2012, 10:31 am

I don't grind my teeth, I actually click them in weird rhythmic patterns...it's incredibly annoying, even to myself, but it always takes me a while to notice I'm even doing it and since you mentioned it, I almost always click my teeth while driving.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 10:32 am

I've been grinding my teeth for my whole life but I've always been a very anxious being my whole life so I'm used to it.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

Not as a stim, but sometimes grind in my sleep

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 11:14 am

It is not good for your teeth at all to do that, get a mouth guard if you feel the need to do that.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 11:27 am

It's more of a habit I do when I'm uncomfortable than a stim. I don't get stimulated from doing it, in fact, it kind of annoys me.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

I used to grind my teeth. But I don't now, after being told it's not good for my teeth.

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

chiastic_slide wrote:
Not as a stim, but sometimes grind in my sleep

Teeth grinding at night is one of the side effects of SSRI antidepressants.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

I clench my jaw and grind my teeth almost constantly. I also have an anxiety disorder. It's definitely not a stim for me, to stim with my mouth I run my tongue over my teeth, suck my cheeks in, suck on my teeth, run my tongue over my braces, stuff like that. If I catch myself grinding I try to stop.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

Not me, but I had a friend in school who was on the spectrum who also suffered from OCD. He was very anxious at most times and tooth grinding was something he did a lot. I dunno if it would be considered a stim, though. It got to such a point that he had to go to the dentist get a mouth guard (I think).

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm

All the time. I've worn away the enamel on my teeth. The dentist said it's probably from doing it at night and suggested a mouth guard. Uh no. I have SEVERE sensitivities and could never get to sleep with something in my mouth. Plus I grind my teeth in the daytime too. I never told them I was autistic because they wouldn't get it. They don't seem like the type of people who would either. I often need to chew on things...hard things. Those chew items especially made for autistic people are too soft. My teeth sometimes feel itchy on the inside and chewing on something hard is the only way to get the itching to stop. I just used a thick dog chew toy intended for pit bulls.

I used to grind my teeth so hard as a kid you could actually hear me doing it. I found the sound and sensation comforting. I usually did it when bored or frustrated or trying to concentrate on something.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 2:54 am

I've grinded my teeth(when I had more of them) at night, but never consciously or as a stim.

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2019, 11:25 am

chris5000 wrote:
anyone do it?

I noticed that I do when im driving, when driving I become hyper-focused so I dont do any of my normal stims I just start grinding my teeth.

I only do this when I am stressed and it tends to be in my sleep. If it get painful I will put a gum shield in, just a cheap standard boxer/ rugby one.