Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 7:33 pm

anyone else enjoy digging holes in the ground?

I find it really clears my head, when I was younger I would do it a lot.

lambey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

kind of. i don't so much as enjoy it as i can use it to help me think. its like going for a walk - great to think about stuff and reflect, not so much to have fun.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm

The only digging I've done since I was a little child has been for gardening purposes. I am not into that. However, we did have a half rottie/quarter shepherd/quarter mystery dog, who was really, really into digging great hulking trenches in the yard. There was no way to stop her. She liked it, so she did it. My older brother and I, and even that loony dog sometimes tripped in those things. I even got a concussion once when I tripped in one by the house, and stumbled against the house. We had a hard time refilling the trenches, as the dirt dug out tended to merge with the yard. We did use rocks and dog poop to help the process, though. :lol: Hey, we didn't want to be stepping in the poop any way, and it was free hole filler and fertilizer in one. :lol:

She was probably our nuttiest dog. When stressed she would sometimes eat acorns, including their shells, until she blocked up her system. This led to several vet visits to fix the problem.

She had another annoying hobby, too--shredding. She was fond of shredding any blankie meant for her to use as a bed, and she also liked to shred the towels used to dry her off after a bath or after coming in from the rain.

After a move to a new house, a friend of my brother came over to help paint the common areas of the house. The dog was getting dog fur on the walls and paint in her fur, so I closed her in my room with a blankie, toys, and a left over flat movers quilt. When I went to let the dog out of my room later, I cracked up laughing. It looked like it had snowed in there, as she had spent her afternoon shredding the movers quilt, including the fill inside. :lol:

She was a big, strong, and aggressive dog, but basically friendly. However, she did like to rough house, and could be hard to handle. She also liked company when she went outside. She would force me to go out in the yard with her by saying in body language and behavior, "Come out and play with me, or I will beat you up." Once outside I would ask her, "Okay, what do you want to play." Her answer was usually, "Let's play *Beat you up*." :lol: I just couldn't win with that dog.

I miss all the dogs we had over the years, and I am sad that I can't have one any more. Part of that is because I have become increasingly sensitive to pet fur. Part of it is because my health problems make it too hard to take care of a pet now, and due to these problems I have a very irregular sleep/ wake/ & eating schedule, that would be hard on a pet. And partly it's due to my neighborhood being infested with fleas. The cats, dogs, and wildlife in my trailer park have a real flea problem. On several occasions when people have brought dogs into my trailer, I had to treat the place with salt or baking soda afterwards to kill the fleas they brought in. Yes, salt and baking soda on carpets will kill fleas, but if you have an untreated pet, you will just re-infest the carpets, so you must also treat any pets living in the place to get results, and you need to retreat a few days later to kill any that hatch out from eggs laid by the ones you killed before. A really bad infestation may need several treatments.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, and enjoy your digging. Just remember to dig away from any place where people are likely to walk. :D

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm

I'm renting so I don't think I could! And not into gardening either. But for the repetitive action to clear my head I do like to shuffle a pack of cards or something like that.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 1:46 am

I know someone with autism that likes digging holes. He currently has one that is 6 feet deep. I think at times he has wanted to make something of it, like an underground room. He just digs on it once in a while just seeing how deep he can go and what he can find.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 2:35 am

A_floating_moon wrote:
I know someone with autism that likes digging holes. He currently has one that is 6 feet deep. I think at times he has wanted to make something of it, like an underground room. He just digs on it once in a while just seeing how deep he can go and what he can find.

I built a underground fort once. I dug a big 6ft deep pit over a couple of days. using old shipping pallets I made walls and a floor with plywood for a roof. then I back filled everything so it was underground. it took me about a week to build. strangely enough after I built it I quickly lost interest.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 3:56 am

chris5000 wrote:
A_floating_moon wrote:

I built a underground fort once. I dug a big 6ft deep pit over a couple of days. using old shipping pallets I made walls and a floor with plywood for a roof. then I back filled everything so it was underground. it took me about a week to build. strangely enough after I built it I quickly lost interest.

Interesting. What ever happened to it?

The guy I know that digs the holes.. his mom discourages him from building any kind of structure. The hole IS kind of creepy (but in a cool way). It fills with water all the time and isn't the safest looking thing. I walk out there and look at it sometimes just to see how it is progressing or deteriorating... I encourage him because I think it just adds interest to the landscape, especially with the vines and such growing up in that area.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 4:17 am

A_floating_moon wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
A_floating_moon wrote:

Interesting. What ever happened to it?

The guy I know that digs the holes.. his mom discourages him from building any kind of structure. The hole IS kind of creepy (but in a cool way). It fills with water all the time and isn't the safest looking thing. I walk out there and look at it sometimes just to see how it is progressing or deteriorating... I encourage him because I think it just adds interest to the landscape, especially with the vines and such growing up in that area.

the wood rotted and it all caved in. I sat in it for like 5 minutes and got bored of it. I never really had any plans to do anything with it I just wanted to build it. I was semi inspired by the bunkers from ww1.