Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 11:10 pm

Hardly anyone stops to appreciate this, just how amazing we all are.
Think of it like super powers, we have the power to control the temperature around us, the power to conjure limitless amounts of water, to make light, we have the power to see things across the globe, to listen to any sounds we want to. We have the power of communicating to one another across the world, and we can fly.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2012, 12:07 am

Yet we don't have the power to end all suffering on the world and to completely eradicate all evil as well as its causes. We can't honestly consider humans to be gods, ever. Sure I could create a universe and a bunch of planets where life is perfect for my creations and they don't ever suffer in my imagination. I would be a god in that made up universe, but not truly a god in reality.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:42 am

the LDS types believe all folk married in their church will, in a future existence in higher realms, eventually populate their own worlds. but if you're a single and never married mormon, you'll be stuck in the lower realms and never have your own worlds.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:49 am

Wielding human power indeed is a double edged sword.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:51 am

wcoltd wrote:
we have the power to control the temperature around us

Air conditioning is quite possibly the greatest thing humanity has ever come up with. It says so much about our character. I can't help but love a species that says "Weather? f**k that, I make my own weather."

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:51 am

i drove by a house a while back, that had a sign in the yard which read, "beware of the god."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:54 am

wcoltd wrote:
Think of it like super powers, we have the power to control the temperature around us, the power to conjure limitless amounts of water, to make light, we have the power to see things across the globe, to listen to any sounds we want to. We have the power of communicating to one another across the world, and we can fly.

but we can't even control our weather other than by very rudimentary and unreliable means, so this means that not only are we seemingly not remotely god-like to anybody above the level of cavemen and lower animals, but we aren't even above a big fat zero on the kardachev scale of technological development. :oops:

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:11 pm

Imagination is the best super-power we have.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

i don't realy feal like a god yet but i'm getting closer every time

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

How do apes version 3.0 with 3.5 lb brains become god?

ruyveyn

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:46 pm

We control (kind of) the surface layer of a single planet, and that makes us gods?

Your pantheon needs stricter rules.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 2:32 am

wcoltd wrote:

what would make you think that these attributes are what makes a god?

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
i drove by a house a while back, that had a sign in the yard which read, "beware of the god."

:lol: I would have love to see that!

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

If you are referring to the entire human race then, absolutely not. What kind of gods would knowingly inflict pain upon another purely because they are different? Also, the attributes mentioned in the OP aren't necessarily attributes of gods and our "powers" such as flight, listening to any sounds we want to, viewing moving images on a screen and temperature control are achieved through technology that only a very small percentage of the human race are capable of inventing.

If you are referring exclusively to Aspies, no, we aren't gods either! All Aspies have flaws and one thing I have learned recently is that not all of us are good people. Most are, but not all.