Do most 40 year olds look like this.

Page 2 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

Is it just be, or does anyone else find this thread offensive?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 5:47 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

It is kind of 'gross,' in the same way that women talking about wanting confident/'alpha'/'successful'/whatever guys is. I guess people have a right to talk about their preferences, though.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

My mom is 56.
She looks way better than most 30 year olds I know, no exaggeration.
She also takes care of her skin, works out, eats healthy, etc.
My grandmother is 89 and her skin has no wrinkles. But she's also half Japanese.
My sister is 28 and looks 19.

I think it's a combination of genetics and how well you take care of yourself.
Also, they all grew up in America.

If you smoke, eat McDonalds and other processed crap, drink, do drugs, sit on your ass all day, then yeah, you're not going to age well.
If you take care of your body, then you're not going to age as poorly.
Depends on the person.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 6:54 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

Maybe now would be a good time for me to mention I would TOTALLY go out with the woman from the top picture - I don't find her unattractive at all!

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 6:56 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

People's appearance changes as they age. No reason we can't have an upfront discussion about that.

Most people prefer partners who are (or at least look) roughly the same age. Nothing wrong with talking about that either.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

People have no control over how their face looks with the passage of time. It is what it is. What I feel this thread implies is that, once a person's youthful beauty disappears, that person isn't worth paying attention to anymore. That's what I find insulting, especially from a site as purportedly non-judgmental as ours.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
People have no control over how their face looks with the passage of time. It is what it is. What I feel this thread implies is that, once a person's youthful beauty disappears, that person isn't worth paying attention to anymore. That's what I find insulting, especially from a site as purportedly non-judgmental as ours.

But that's only your perception of the question and what's being discussed. You can choose to assume the worst and be offended, or look at things objectively and take the good of the conversation while ignoring the bad.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 9:13 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

true. also, there is an implication that being older equals being less attractive (unless the older person looks young). not everyone values youth to the same degree.

for the discussion about looking young - you don't have to have a particularly healthy lifestyle to look young. there are new studies that suggest that people who look younger have longer telomeres (the tail end of a chromosome which serves as a buffer against damage). a part of that is stress and lifestyle-related (smoking, sun exposure, and depression were correlated with shorter telomeres), but it is largely hereditary from certain genetic factors. basically, you can influence telomere shortening with lifestyle, but you won't get dramatic changes.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 11:50 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Venger wrote:
You have to only run cold water over your face/head in the shower. Cold water is great for anti-aging.

I bet that lady in the OPs photo runs hot water over her head everyday in the shower. lol

Or possibly a heavy smoker? Too much sun? I have hot showers and my skin doesn't look like that...

I take warm showers too, but I turn the water freezing cold for my face/head(keep head separate). Cold water is very uncomfortable at first which is why most people disregard using it.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 12:03 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

Do most 40 year olds look like this.I am finding it shocking that woman my age are looking like this.
I have been clueless until a year or two ago what people my age looked like. I didn't know that many went gray
and used hair dye. I keep on thinking about this since I found out the age of a work collogue is 39 and I guessed
her age around 46 ,and the numerous dating profiles I see on plentyoffish.com . I guess I must be the majority of
men my age who go for woman much younger. I guess I am technically upping my expectation as I am getting older.

Some people of both genders give up on companionship at a certain age and let themselves go and Im pretty sure that this is what we are seeing here.

There are some males that let themselves go as well and they stop taking care of finding clothing that fits them properly, in some cases they start gaining a heavy amount of weight(could apply to some females as well but I think its more common in males for some reason)

If this woman made a point to take care of herself/one of the males I described above did they probably wouldnt stand from the crowd with a few changes but they usually have no intention of doing that

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 12:21 am

redrobin62 wrote:

Ageing is a terrible thing, especially for woman. Most things in life can be achieved by wisdom, hard work and persistence. So as time goes by things usually improve. This includes dating for aspies. Aging is the opposite however. Supply and demand changes considerably and wisdom( conventional wisdom) can do little to change things.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 12:39 am

spongy wrote:
Some people of both genders give up on companionship at a certain age and let themselves go and Im pretty sure that this is what we are seeing here.

Surly not. This is the Right Honourable Yvette Cooper from the Labour Party.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:29 am

It would not be unusual for a 40 year old to look like that. There are a few things that need to be taken into consideration though. The first and foremost is, we live in a society with unrealistic expectations, thanks, in part, to the advent of photo editing programs such as Photoshop. Take a look at magazines and advertisements from the 60's and 70's, before air brushing was common, and natural photos were preferred, and you will see a better representation of how people actually look.

Another thing to consider when looking at photos is lighting. Lighting can drastically enhance or reduce wrinkles and blemishes. Photos of politicians tend to be more realistic than photos of celebrities because they are often taken without any consideration for the lighting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:55 am

am i the only one who thinks diana nyad is a dish?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:56 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Ageing is a terrible thing, especially for woman. Most things in life can be achieved by wisdom, hard work and persistence. So as time goes by things usually improve. This includes dating for aspies. Aging is the opposite however. Supply and demand changes considerably and wisdom( conventional wisdom) can do little to change things.

no, it really isn't a bad thing to age, unless the woman is earning money for a youthful look. some professions are time-sensitive like modelling or acting to some degree (like professional athletics for men). but most women don't suffer for getting older - it's just part of the natural cycle of life.

i imagine that a woman would find ageing to be terrible if she cared a lot about many men's opinions, but i'd say that they would be happy to know which men are too youth-focused to be a suitable match.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:05 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

no, it really isn't a bad thing to age, unless the woman is earning money for a youthful look. some professions are time-sensitive like modelling or acting to some degree (like professional athletics for men). but most women don't suffer for getting older - it's just part of the natural cycle of life.

i imagine that a woman would find ageing to be terrible if she cared a lot about many men's opinions, but i'd say that they would be happy to know which men are too youth-focused to be a suitable match.

Ageing isn't attractive by any standards, that's why many people try to avoid ageing or get injections to tighten their skin. Ageing isn't desirable to men or women and if you believe it is, you are deluding yourself. There is a lot more awareness now that us younger generation are aware of and ageing factors so we will age slower and people will start to look younger, the standard of ageing will change and how people should look at certain ages will also change as more awareness and technology becomes available.