Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:02 am

I like clocks I have one in the kitchen I only notice it ticking when its quiet I used to like the digital clocks that had the drop leaves but they aren't around anymore the electronic ones aren't as good.

My kitchen clock has roman numerals they make it look nicer.
It has a soft tick.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:44 am

Normally, I'm not aware of them. But, if I do become aware, my focus will go to them and the ticking gets louder and louder. I quite like it actually.

Johnq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2012, 6:08 am

I don't like them, I don't understand the purpose of them clicking and why they don't make them all silent. I had to take the one I had in this office down because it drove me crazy like Chinese water torture.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:34 am

I absolutely LOVE ticking clocks. They are incredibly soothing to me. However, I am not sure if it is the actual noise itself that I love, or merely the fact that I can hear it.

I came from an abusive home where there was always lots of shouting and frightening upsetting noise, so being in an empty house that is so peacefully silent that you can hear the clocks ticking is blissful to me. I feel as though the clocks are talking to me and reassuring me that there's nobody there to be mean to me. I like to have one in every room (or at least in the rooms where I spend most of my time).

There are different sort of ticks with different sounds and volumes. I like soft gentle ticks, but not harsh loud ones. If the tick was very loud it would be an overload and be very distressing to me and I would go crazy trying to remove the batteries to make it stop, as someone else has said they do.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 9:27 am

kBillingsley wrote:
I love everything about clocks, specifically mechanical weight or spring-driven ones. The tick, to me, only means that it is working.

I used to be like that when I was a kid / teen. I had a mechanical weight-driven cuckoo clock just beside my bed in my room that I loved. I put a bulb behind the bird that was on only when the cuckoo-program was active so I could see a moving projected silhouette of it on the opposite wall at night. The sound didn't bother me, often I just counted the cycles half-asleep guessing what hour it could be. It changed over time, now ticking clocks really bother me, especially the electrical second-ticking types. Their noise level is not even, it changes as the second pointer walks around. A mechanical clock has a much smoother, acoustic sound, and the variations in its ticking are much subtler. If you know a mechanical clock well you can tell from its ticking if it's close to run-down or just winded up.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2012, 3:38 pm

I hate them!
As soon as I notice the clock ticking, the ticking noise gets stuck in my head and I can't concentrate properly.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:09 pm

Oh gosh, I hate ticking clocks, absolutely hate it. My sensory issues are very mild but clocks is one of the few sound sensory stimuli that drive me absolutely nuts. If I am in a quiet room with a ticking clock especially if I am trying to sleep or do something that requires heavy concentration, I need to move the clock out of the room. There has been many times, I am sleeping over at a relative/friends house and I will move there clock out of the room or else I cannot sleep.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 9:31 pm

phyrehawke wrote:
I don't like ticking clocks at all. However, my watch has a very soft mechanical tick that's only audible if my ear is right up to it, and I can find that very soothing.

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I'm thinking about getting a watch with a second hand for that exact reason. :P

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2012, 9:41 pm

Once I've been repeating the pattern to myself in my head it becomes muted and at times can be soothing. Other times it can really bother me and almost cause rage. I've taken batteries out of clocks (back when they still existed and weren't digital) for ticking sounds.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm

I can't sleep with them on.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:27 pm

They don't bother me when I'm awake, but very annoying when I'm trying to sleep. I make sure all my clocks are quiet clocks (no second hand), and I use ear plugs in bed. It doesn't bother my autistic children at all. They sleep with their clocks right beside their heads.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:56 pm

Worst thing in the world, i have digital clocks, or those where the arms in the clock move fluidly and without that stupid TICK TOCK.

I would swear to god (if i believed in that sort of thing) that when i tried to sleep its like it gets louder and louder, its scary just damn loud TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK. it gets inside my head lol. Thats enough so i cannot sleep.

Whoever invented that, should be put in prison. But i guess most people arent annoyed but such stupid sounds.

Issit
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 8:27 am

I try to avoid them.