Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:22 am

Titangeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IBM's "watson" supercomputer uses 15 terabytes of ultra-high-speed RAM. how soon will it be, that ordinary desktop PCs are running complicated programs that will push those boundaries?

I say about within 20 years.

ok, can you hop into the time machine, travel forward in time to 2032, hope out at your buddy's house and see what he is doing with his PC, then report back? IOW what sorts of programs do you believe regular folks could be doing with their PCs- calculating the in's and out's of various moneymaking schemes? that, i imagine, would be the #1 use of such home supercomputers. joe everyman in 2032, might be doing what the quant math wizards on wall street are doing now.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
IBM's "watson" supercomputer uses 15 terabytes of ultra-high-speed RAM. how soon will it be, that ordinary desktop PCs are running complicated programs that will push those boundaries?

I say about within 20 years.

ok, can you hop into the time machine, travel forward in time to 2032, hope out at your buddy's house and see what he is doing with his PC, then report back? IOW what sorts of programs do you believe regular folks could be doing with their PCs- calculating the in's and out's of various moneymaking schemes? that, i imagine, would be the #1 use of such home supercomputers. joe everyman in 2032, might be doing what the quant math wizards on wall street are doing now.

I foresee video games of such grand awesome that they would make Skyrim and Crysis look like Pong by comparison.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:40 am

^^^
i shoulda thought of that. but i can imagine holographic video games of ultra-high spacial and temporal resolution, that would look so smooth and finely detailed that it would be scarcely distinguishable from real people fighting in your living room. there would be home smellovision as well.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
i shoulda thought of that. but i can imagine holographic video games of ultra-high spacial and temporal resolution, that would look so smooth and finely detailed that it would be scarcely distinguishable from real people fighting in your living room. there would be home smellovision as well.

Just imagine the next generation of pr0n.... :lol: :roll:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

BlueMax wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^

Just imagine the next generation of pr0n.... :lol: :roll:

Hooker bot :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFPRNIWtKI[/youtube]

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2012, 9:33 pm

BlueMax wrote:
mmcool wrote:
I chose the DP67BA because of its media features and it is made to work best with an i7

False. It has no special media features any other new board would have - in fact, if you're using a 3rd-generation i7, you'll get more out of the 3rd-generation chipset that came out at the same time. It's it's not a z77 (or other 7xx or x75 variant) it's older and LESS capable.

mmcool wrote:
the ram is going to be 32GB for 2 reasons one I can get a better framrate on alot of games because alot of games will use more ram if it they

Unbelievably false! There are only two factors to games - the speed of the processor and the speed of the video card. Very few apps and ZERO games come even close to that kind of memory use and would show any difference from even 8GB RAM. Ram may be cheap, but the money wasted on excessive RAM could get you a bigger/better SSD and a faster video card. ACTUAL PERFORMANCE (and maybe visual style) is the only thing that matters! :D

I always wondered how people could be SO up to date on computer hardware to be able to give specific advice like you are. Where does one even start? Another question, how do you know what pieces of hardware are compatible/incompatible with each other?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:11 pm

cooldryplace wrote:
I always wondered how people could be SO up to date on computer hardware to be able to give specific advice like you are. Where does one even start? Another question, how do you know what pieces of hardware are compatible/incompatible with each other?

It's my aspie obsession, I guess. ;) I read a lot of hardware review sites and and salivate over the cool things I can't afford to buy.