Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2012, 12:51 am

How do you guys feel about theme parks and fairs?

Although they can irritate me in the expected ways such as the fact there are so many PEOPLE there who are all causing me to get very irritated due to their noise, them pushing and shoving, etc, etc, ETC lol I still find that I LOVE theme parks, fairs, etc!! ! I have never grown out of them, and look forward to them.

I love roller coasters, all the new things to look at and learn about, the stuff to taste and try out, the different foods to eat, the stuff to collect, and all the colours and stuff. I think it's one of those areas of sensory sensitivity where - although on the one hand I am very sensitive in a negative way - I also believe due to my sensitivities that I can ENJOY sensory stimulation of various types more so than the average person.

It would be ideal for me if there were less people, and less bags, etc to carry around, and family to organise (despite truly loving them to bits).

This is one area where I feel like such a big kid compared with others lol

Erminetheawkward
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2012, 1:02 am

It depends on my mindset. In such a setting, I can either really enjoy all the sensory stimulation, or hate it. If I focus on the rides, shows, smells, sounds, etc, I can have a good time. If I focus on the people, I quickly get overwhelmed. Same goes for stuff like rock concerts, exploring cities downtown, going to museums, and window shopping. They all have lots of people around, but they can be very enjoyable.

It's fun for me when I am in control (it was my idea to go and I can leave when I want to) and when it involves things I enjoy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:06 am

i never really cared for thrill rides, they wrench my body. but i love fairs and such.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:07 am

<--- To get him to a theme park or fair would require a ton of drugs and chains on his feet tied to the back of a pickup truck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

redrobin62 wrote:
<--- To get him to a theme park or fair would require a ton of drugs and chains on his feet tied to the back of a pickup truck.

but what if that theme park or fair had a garlic festival? could you turn down garlic?! i am going to the chehalis garlic festival this friday [before my weekend aspie meetup in seattle] because i want to experience all that a garlic festival entails. :mrgreen: garlic burgers. garlic fries. garlic pizza. chicken marinated in rosemary and garlic. deep-fried garlic cloves. french fries drizzled in garlic butter. french fries with garlic and parmesan cheese. garlic gorgonzola french fries. onion rings with garlic. pot roast gorgonzola sandwiches with garlic. shrimp, scallops and garlic crepe. veggie stir fry with garlic. yum Image i can't wait! :bounce:
(clicky)Chehalis Garlic Festival!
p.s.- if you meet me in oly, i will DRIVE you to it!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:46 am

OK theme parks and fairs are two very different things. I was a carny. Theme parks are permenant. Built into concrete. Nothing to tear down for other shows. Much less maintenance than carnivals. Much higher overhead though.

Carnivals go and set up on a lot, concrete, gravel or grass, no difference. They are set up there on that lot and the rides are basically built there. Much, much more maintence because of the tearing down and setting up. Overhead is low.

Parks have employees who come to work from home each day. Their pay varies but they don't get a cut of the take.

Carnys are contractors who run the rides or games and do get a percentage of the take.

Park people work at the same place every day for a set shift and get a check.

Carnies work shows. A show is about 10 days and you have a three day jump in between usually. Tear down day, travel day then set up day. Park people go to apartments, houses or house trailers at the end of the day. Carnies go to their one home, the trailer/rv/18 wheeler with a sleeper cab at the end of the day. Thats what home is to a carnie. Not the city, because thats always different.

Parks are safer. Carnivals are dangerous as s**t.

Park games are legit

Carnival games are usually flat shows.

Park employees must be polite

Carnival workers can smoke weed in front of you.

Either way, I loved the carnival. Always. And in my heart, even though the last show I worked was when I was 18, I'm still with it and for it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

not a fan of clowns

but will show up to eat fair junk food.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 1:58 am

Love thrill rides, generally. I'm against strobe lights though, since my wife is epileptic.

Centrifugal force rides can throw my equilibrium off, to the point where one good spin and I feel sick for the rest of the day. I guess I chalk it up to motion sickness. Same with airplanes. One fluctuation in turbulence, and my brain thinks I'm +/-1000ft from where I really am. Not sure if motion sickness just is what it is, or has anything to do with hypersensitivities.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:04 am

I hate the crowds and find the wait is never worth it.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:24 am

I have no love of the rides, so I tend to find them a waste of time. The large number of people annoy me, but I can usually go into my own little world and shut them out. It's not something that would cause me to have a meltdown, but put me on a roller coaster and there is a fair chance I will have a panic attack.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 2:54 am

ab, you forgot garlic bread. I envy you, I love anything garlic!! !

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:20 am

Moondust wrote:
ab, you forgot garlic bread. I envy you, I love anything garlic!! !

how close are you to southwest washington state?

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2012, 3:35 am

I dislike pretty much all rides but I have found out I really like the sensation of rollercoasters. So I can do the rollercoasters but pretty much nothing else. I get scared of the people and it's really loud but it has such positive associations of family time when I was little that I like it. I never went on hardly any rides until i was 18 (when I discovered I like rollercoasters) but I've been with my family to most of the florida theme parks several times and most of the UK ones several times. About 4 years ago my mum took me to Thorpe park right at the end of the season, it as compleatly empty and you could walk straight onto almost every ride. It was great, we did the 10 loop rollercoaster seven times, sometimes getting off and running round straight back onto the next one.
it's really bizarre because I suffer from fairly severe motion sickness (I can't even use the rowing machine in the gym) but I really like rollercoasters.

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 5:01 am

I love them, the rides are fun even if the Waltzers overloaded me slightly the last time (the ride was longer than I expected), and it's a proper good excuse to OD on sugar.

What could be better than running around hyper with your partner and friends reliving being 12?

Hmmm... this has given me a hankering for a road trip to a theme park lol

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2012, 6:09 am

no their too loud and crowded

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:38 am

I don't really care for carnivals but I love theme parks