Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

I have fond memories of the demo CDs as well. :)

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

[quote=I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P[/quote]

Lol....I loved shareware back in the day! I must have played the first episode of Doom like 300 times. The first Need for Speed was another one.

Belial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2012, 5:17 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:
[quote=I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P

Lol....I loved shareware back in the day! I must have played the first episode of Doom like 300 times. The first Need for Speed was another one.[/quote]
I remember the old black and red screen you were sent back to after leaving Doom in Dos. It had the phone number for ordering Doom and and it teased me for SO long, I was so ecstatic to finally get the full Doom and then Doom II.

You know what another great retro game was? Descent, LOVED the game.

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2012, 12:49 am

equestriatola wrote:
I know; since I was a child some 15 years ago, I have been hooked on retro gaming. You know, stuff like Atari 2600, the NES, and the SNES; that stuff.

Lemme ask y'all this: Who likes this stuff? I play them periodically, they take me back to a more happier time in my life, and when games were being played for the FUN of it. It was pure fun in those days......

another post from WP i can relate to. i thought i was the only one who still like playing NES, and SNES. right now right next to me i have an NES, SNES, and an Atari hooked up in working order. i love super mario games the best. ive beaten super mario bros without getting hit once and i could consider i did it pretty much as well as one of those "time runs" u see on youtube.

when i was a kid i used to be literally addicted to nintendo. i used to play nintendo 24-7 until i thought the nintendo broke because it needed serious cleaning. you know how the nintendo freazes and locks out. i ended up taking it apart and that's where my next obsession in electronics began....

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:28 am

One of the disadvantages of getting involved with retro Nintendo consoles is that they've become too popular and a lot of the games that come up on eBay are way over-priced (£20-£30 for a loose copy of Zelda on the NES, £30+ for games like Castlevania and TMNT IV on the SNES).

I like Nintendo, but you get a lot more bang for your buck with Sega, Atari and Commodore systems.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Aug 2012, 6:46 am

I own an NES, and an SNES. I have a good sized collection of games to go along with them; they will be reminders of when I was young and was not worrying as much as I do in life these days.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 6:51 am

guitarman2010 wrote:
[quote=I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P

Lol....I loved shareware back in the day! I must have played the first episode of Doom like 300 times. The first Need for Speed was another one.[/quote]

The Doom demo version was great. You got the full first episode, all difficulties worked, all weapons were available, you could save, and IDDQD worked.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 2:44 am

guitarman2010 wrote:

Isn't the nature of being competitive a major aspect in gaming?

I suppose taking on enemies and bosses is by nature a competition against the game(like heck I'll let something small and flat, or non-existent in the physical world defeat me). I guess you have a point there. But you completely missed my point. Why bother gaming if you're not doing it for fun? There's nothing wrong with competition, if it's fun. If fun doesn't factor in the decision to log hours into CoD, then why do it? People can get really irritated with losses or deaths. Why? If it's a competition, can't they accept a loss? I have a hard time believing they're even in it for the thrill of the competition, because if they were, you'd think they'd gladly take a loss to someone who's better than them, and work to improve their own skills so that they can do better next time, while getting the most fulfillment when an opponent or opposing team provides them with a decent challenge. If enjoyment of a game is contingent on winning, can you really say that person truly enjoys it based on its own merits?

If a win/loss or kill/death ratio is really what modern gaming will be about going forward, then I want no part of it. Give me games with merits any day of the week. If that means that I have to engage in retro gaming almost, if not entirely, exclusively, then so be it. I'm hoping it won't come to that, but I'm ready for it.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

27 Aug 2012, 7:34 am

I also love the Famicom, the Japanese cousin of the NES; however, games are kinda expensive for them these days, but not that expensive.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

90% of my favorite games are retro, so yup. My first roleplaying game was one of the King's Quest games my sister brought for our Packard Bell computer. There were so many great companies back then and seeing a game with their logo was like a seal of approval, like Origin and Squaresoft. Seriously, speaking of Origin, whatever happened to space sims? Wing Commander, Privateer, and Strike Commander were so effing great and part of why I love the ps2 Ace Combat games so much is that they play a lot like Wing Commander, but with more missiles. You had branching mission paths in 5 and Zero but hell, Wing Commander, a frickin DOS game, had MORE depth because you could actually lose missions and there was a HUGE chart of possibilities. Of course they did away with that and decided to make Ace Combat into an EXTREME fps/on rails experience with amazing graphics and explosions ..like everything else nowadays :roll: . Strike Commander was so cool because it was basically Privateer but with jets, you paid money for your weaponry and it was so awesome. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon wishes it was as amazing as Strike Commander.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qsjTOF62Zs[/youtube]

Don't even get me started on the state of rpgs. I remember playing Ultima 6 (or was it 5) and telling Lord British to go f**k himself for 10 minutes and laugh like it was the funniest thing ever and then trying to kill him. Anyone remember the apocalypse spell that let you kill EVERYONE and make the game impossible to beat?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

The Atari 2600, NES, Arcade, etc. - Retro gaming was my childhood. Grew up with these games and still play them today.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 12:20 am

Belial wrote:
You know what another great retro game was? Descent, LOVED the game.

The was the first graphical game I ever played against another human in real time!

The only other before that was Galactic Empires which was all ASCII text.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

Is it still retro if you played it since it was new? Gamer since 1986... :lol:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

28 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

Belial wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
Belial wrote:
CrystalStars wrote:
No retro gaming for me.

Sorry you're missing out on the best games ever :P

I grew with a dos computer and genesis, then an snes. Origin(the company, not EA's sh***y steam knockoff) and Micropose were so frickin awesome, oh my god. I really enjoyed the square snes games but I wouldn't get to enjoy a lot of classic snes and gen games until the days of emulation. Why? Games were just so expensive back in the early 90s, rentals were all the rage and buying any game was a huge deal. I played Doom and Heretic's Shareware versions for a good year until I finally brought the Ultimate Doom Pack. Another great oldschool shooter that's criminally underrated is Blood, LOVED that game. I don't know if psx counts as oldschool but I really loved quite a few games on it, like FF7, Suikoden 1+2, and Valkyrie Profile.

I remember back when demo versions gave you a whole episode instead of just one level or 20 minutes of playing like they do today. Those were the days. :P

I remember our psx we got on Christmas day came with a demo cd that had TONS of games on it, like Tekken 2, Crash Bandicoot etc. First games we owned for it were Myst and Alien Trilogy, the latter was a rather derivative but fun Doom-clone styled shooter with really neat music set in the universe of the first 3 Alien movies.

We were wowed by the graphics of games like Myst, but I never fully embraced the blocky 3d that came to be used in a lot of 1st generation psx games. Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story were the first full 3d psx games that actually looked -good- to me, and Chrono Cross.

Ah, Alien Trilogy. Have it for Sega Saturn. The music is pretty cool.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:53 am

Kurgan wrote:
guitarman2010 wrote:

Lol....I loved shareware back in the day! I must have played the first episode of Doom like 300 times. The first Need for Speed was another one.

The Doom demo version was great. You got the full first episode, all difficulties worked, all weapons were available, you could save, and IDDQD worked.[/quote] Shareware is where I first played Doom as well! Then I bought it for SNES.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:46 am

I'm big into retro gaming myself.

The Atari 2600 and NES are my favorite consoles of all time, and I like the vast majority of the games on both. I often hear that, for the 2600, it only has so many good games and the rest are "shovelware", but I disagree with that. I find alot of them very enjoyable. I also like the way most of these games look (same with the NES).

Also, old computer games, though those can be a pain. Recently I found a very good DOS emulation program (better and less irritating than DOSBox), so I've been using that to dive back into some very old favorites. I tend to particularly get attracted to ASCII-based graphics, wether they be old retro titles, or recent games that use that style (like alot of Roguelikes do).

And finally, old arcade titles. Everything from the "golden age", particularly. I was too young to be a part of that at the time when those arcade games were, you know, actually IN arcades, but I'm familiar with a great many of them, and I maintain that that era was the best that gaming has ever been..... there's just SO much genius and good stuff with alot of those arcade titles from back then, that just doesnt happen with alot of today's games.