Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:30 pm

Ok up until now, I have been able to pay for the majority of college without an issue. (I have minor private loan).

However when I first enrolled in college (1 year and 6 months ago) ) my dad was working at the time, and for some reason, even though he was the only one working, they have kept denying me fafsa. I dont get it, now (and they know this) he doesnt work, both my parents are retired, (for the most part), I have adult child disability benefits and am working part time. As far as I know were poorer than the ones who get free aid are. So what gives?

Ok so as I stated up above Im getting minor private loans(from a bank and from family who owes us), but my problem is now I cant afford the gas to college, and I cant afford the books even though my classes are paid for. (I was told I wouldnt need books for this quarter). What should I do? Are there any sites that sell cheap college books? I JUST found out that I have to have books that are mandatory(even though the school counsellor told me I didnt), and the books are over 450 dollars.... I cant get my money back either for the classes. So does anyone have any ideas??
Im supposed to get books on the 4th of next month as well as some other things..?
Help please?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:15 pm

It doesn't matter how many people are working in your household, but how much income your household gets altogether. Also, if there are changes in your circumstances, you have to go to the FAFSA website and report it, they re-figure your eligibility, and then tell the school. Did you report that your dad is no longer working?

Anyways, that all takes a while, so if you need books ASAP, you can look for them online used at Amazon.com, ebay.com. barnesandnoble.com lets you rent some books. Depending on which books you need, there may be other, less-than-legal, but not-likely-to-get-you caught methods...but I will say no more about that here.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

Half the classes I took in college we never needed the book.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:42 am

starkid wrote:
It doesn't matter how many people are working in your household, but how much income your household gets altogether. Also, if there are changes in your circumstances, you have to go to the FAFSA website and report it, they re-figure your eligibility, and then tell the school. Did you report that your dad is no longer working?

Anyways, that all takes a while, so if you need books ASAP, you can look for them online used at Amazon.com, ebay.com. barnesandnoble.com lets you rent some books. Depending on which books you need, there may be other, less-than-legal, but not-likely-to-get-you caught methods...but I will say no more about that here.

together all 3 of us make barely above the poverty line. We have resubmitted in papers and got nowhere. So my question is, what does it take to get some aid? (besides private loans?!?!?!)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 2:06 pm

I used to work for H&R Block (unethical company) and I know in my gut that U.S. taxes are partially logically, and partially not. I strongly, strongly suspect the same is true for fafsa.

Ideally, there would be a counselor with the university who could help you with the process of making sure your application is updated, which sounds like is what you want to do. And this person would also give advice on how to present things so it won't be misunderstood (now, you don't want to lie for that can come back to bite you), but basically how to present things in straightforward fashion in your favor. This person doesn't have to be great. Just has to be okay.

Now, with doctors, who tend to be crummy listeners, I have had some success with coming in with a piece of paper, one half of one side, maximum of three bullet points. The doctor usually pays more attention to this than something I just verbally say. This might also work with a loan counselor. Just an idea.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 2:57 am

Keniichi wrote:
Ok up until now, I have been able to pay for the majority of college without an issue. (I have minor private loan).

However when I first enrolled in college (1 year and 6 months ago) ) my dad was working at the time, and for some reason, even though he was the only one working, they have kept denying me fafsa. I dont get it, now (and they know this) he doesnt work, both my parents are retired, (for the most part), I have adult child disability benefits and am working part time. As far as I know were poorer than the ones who get free aid are. So what gives?

Ok so as I stated up above Im getting minor private loans(from a bank and from family who owes us), but my problem is now I cant afford the gas to college, and I cant afford the books even though my classes are paid for. (I was told I wouldnt need books for this quarter). What should I do? Are there any sites that sell cheap college books? I JUST found out that I have to have books that are mandatory(even though the school counsellor told me I didnt), and the books are over 450 dollars.... I cant get my money back either for the classes. So does anyone have any ideas??
Im supposed to get books on the 4th of next month as well as some other things..?
Help please?

If you have the ISBN number you can quickly look up the used book section at Amazon.com and Bookbyte.com

I use both and almost always get my books very cheap. Just this semester my books alone, new, from local stores or college library wouldve cost me well over 50 dollars per book. I got most of them for under 15 bucks, used, in those websites.

Best thing I can suggest for FAFSA is to call them directly. University financial aid counselors normally have no freaking clue what they're doing.