Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2012, 3:33 pm

On a number of occasions, I'd start to speak and the person next to me would jerk their head or body away, seeming startled, as if they are scared I'll hit them!! 8O

Why do people do this....what am I doing wrong? Has this ever happened to you? 8O 8O

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:43 pm

Not as such. However, I am known to be very 'stealthy'; I can approach other people without them noticing, and that way, I have accidentally startled many- believing that they had noticed me, but they hadn't.

I think, but I'm not certain, that you can blame the startled reactions from other people, on your body language and/or the chemical signals you exude, being 'unusual'. I, too, send off the wrong 'vibes'. I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2012, 3:43 pm

I am very lightfooted so I can walk in normally and talk and they jump out their skin so I sometimes have to make extra noise to say I'm there.

I often get startled by other people too.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

sometimes, I walk pretty much silently normally as I step toe first to the ground. if I step heel first you can hear my steps.

ObserverGirl_4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

Hmm.. when I was younger, I had a tendency to unknowingly or accidentally speak waaay too loud. Could volume control issues contribute to your startling people?

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

Yup. It's fun. :twisted: :lol:

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

sometimes I would do this and they would jump.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:09 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Not as such. However, I am known to be very 'stealthy'; I can approach other people without them noticing, and that way, I have accidentally startled many- believing that they had noticed me, but they hadn't.

I think, but I'm not certain, that you can blame the startled reactions from other people, on your body language and/or the chemical signals you exude, being 'unusual'. I, too, send off the wrong 'vibes'. I'm not sure what can be done about it.

I creep up on people a lot, unintentionally. I can never figure out how to announce my presence without starting someone, so I keep approaching thinking about how I can do it without starting them or looking like a freak, by that point it's too late.

Jason

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:14 pm

Jtuk wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:

I creep up on people a lot, unintentionally. I can never figure out how to announce my presence without starting someone, so I keep approaching thinking about how I can do it without starting them or looking like a freak, by that point it's too late.

Jason

i've found its all in how your put your foot down when you step.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

Apparently I startle people quite frequently. The combination of my extreme height, quiet demeanor, poor understanding of personal space and sometimes poor grooming all contribute to that. Of course, anyone who knows me is aware I'm as weak as a kitten and a complete pushover but I've learned it's best to look tough when out and about. Much better to have people scared of you than be seen as a target again.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

people have threatened to put bells on me like a cat. :-)

pretty amazing considering my age and size.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

I'm usually afraid to startle people. The other day, I walked behind my sister and I was about to talk to her and I had been silent, and she hadn't acknowledged my being there. I created extra noise so I wouldn't startle her :P

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2012, 10:14 pm

Jtuk wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:

Jason

Same here. It is so weird! And people often stand in my space.. Hard to explain... Like, if I am standing somewhere, they tend to almost stand on top of me and not even notice I am there! It is like I give off this empty vibe and people can't perceive me.... Unless I am focussed on them, and then they find me very intense! Which can be a good or a bad thing.

I get startled easily, also.

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2012, 10:16 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:

THIS IS GREAT! I am so happy to know there are more of us out there. I have always said my entire life (not knowing why) I am a ninja. People laugh awkwardly and say "Sure." until I enter a room, 15 minutes go by with me in their presence and them not noticing. I can't even count how many times I have startled people, most of the time unintentionally.

Foxyglamarchist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm

CuriousKitten wrote:
people have threatened to put bells on me like a cat. :-)

pretty amazing considering my age and size.

My mom did put bells on my shoes when I was little to keep me from wandering off.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 5:02 am

No, people startle me. People know I'm gentle, meek and stupid, just by looking at me, so nobody's scared of me. But I just get startled by other people, if strangers stand right in my personal space in shops, or if somebody puts a toddler near me.